TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Niche Records

So we've all seen how creative parks sometimes get with their marketing of new attractions, especially when it comes to milking incredibly niche World Records.  What are some of your favorite weird records that parks have advertised, or what are some records you can think of on your own?

Fury 325 as the World's Tallest Giga is what really sent me...

Also, I'm pretty sure that Six Flags Magic Mountain is the only theme park in the world with two different mobius loop coasters.  That could be something.

Firebird: the 1st and only floorless coaster in all of...Maryland.

The best part is that there are 3 other floorless coasters not far from SFA (Dominator, Hydra, Bizzarro), so they can't actually go any larger than just Maryland!

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, SharkTums said:

Didn't Blackpool once claim a record for Big One of way taller than it actually was by saying "above sea level" or something crazy like that?!?!

Yes, that's right, it's always been marketed as being 235ft tall which is the height above sea level. By that measure, Nemesis is 475ft tall.

Big One's actual height is 213ft which I think still made it the tallest at the time. The speed record was always disputed by Kennywood with Steel Phantom.

On 2/19/2021 at 2:45 PM, KarlaKoaster said:

Yes, that's right, it's always been marketed as being 235ft tall which is the height above sea level. By that measure, Nemesis is 475ft tall.

Big One's actual height is 213ft which I think still made it the tallest at the time. The speed record was always disputed by Kennywood with Steel Phantom.

And then Desperado opened at Buffalo Bill's and was recognized by Guinness World Records as the tallest even though it was 4 feet shorter than Big One and tied with Steel Phantom for drop height.  So much drama....

Although, by Blackpool's measuring standards, Desperado is actually about 2,800 ft tall.

• Haha 1

• 1 year later...
1 minute ago, CedarFlags said:

Niche record question that's been stuck in my head...

Which park has the most launched coasters?  I can think of several parks that have 3 coasters, but none with 4.  Anybody else know?

Kings Dominion at one point had four (Backlot, Flight of Fear, Volcano, and Hypersonic XLC), but yeah I think 3 is the crown right now.

2 hours ago, VegasCoaster said:

Can someone explain to me how Eejanika is tied with Smiler for 14 inversions? That one always confused me since watching it its clear its far fewer than that. RCDB has it listed as 3 now, but I swear a ways back they had the 14.

I believe they counted each of the seat flips where your head points more towards the ground than the sky as an inversion.

EDIT: Confirmed by the Wikipedia entry that this is how the Guinness Book counts the inversions.

6 hours ago, VegasCoaster said:

Can someone explain to me how Eejanika is tied with Smiler for 14 inversions? That one always confused me since watching it its clear its far fewer than that. RCDB has it listed as 3 now, but I swear a ways back they had the 14.

IMG_0019.thumb.JPG.a22143d395714b22211c7d44ced5ae15.JPG

Someone asked years ago so I took this picture in the queue line. of how they divide it up. Someone told me what each means but I completely forgot what.

• 1 year later...

I came up with a potential new niche record but I don't know what the official winner is... Longest time spend traveling at triple digits speeds. 

Thought about this because TT2's backwards launch is supposed to go 101 mph.  Which means that the 3rd launch would, in theory, have riders traveling at 100+mph for the entire length of the launch track, rather than just the very end. 

Could that be a record?  The only other high speed coaster I can think of that doesn't immediately lose significant speed would be Do-Dodonpa.  But it's SBNO until further notice.  Formula Rossa goes real fast, but I've never been able to find out how much speed is loses going up its first hill with those trim brakes.  Does it stay at or above 100 mph?