TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Ever had a black out on a coaster?

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^Being stapled would produce a similar situation as a G-suit would. It would keep the blood from being able to be easily forced away from your brain. Not as effective, certainly, but it makes sense it would help a little.

I grayed out at the pull-out of Millennium Force's first drop. But that was my first big boy coaster, except for Rock n' Rollercoaster 18 months before.

Invertigo/Face/Off is the only ride that consistently gets me close to gray outs now.

I'll make sure I ask to get stapld then on Titan and B:TR as well as afew others... I guess being stapled could help preventing even partial G-LOC as long as all the pressure is on the right places God I can't even take 4.5 G's without blacking out(flight deck at CW).

Like you'd have to ask!

I have been on countless roller coasters from age 4 (and now i'm 17) without one blackout. however, two summers ago I went on Goliath at SFOG and had a gray out. and it wasn't the fastest coaster i've been on! right after the double helix outside of the park i started to lose focus. I definitely did not like that part, but the ride itself was awesome!

I almost blacked out on Tennessee Tornado in Dollywood, it did my mother the same way too. It was when you go into the second loop. I believe it was because you went into the big loop where your blood went toward your head then back to your feet when you get slung around the over banked turn then the next loop makes it rush back to your head then back to your feet and to your head again with the transition from the second loop into the sidewinder causing you to feel like your about to black out.Wow that was a long sentence. Thats what i figured it was anyway,lol

I black out on a LOT of stuff. I don't do too well in the heat, and combined with lots of walking and coastering, it often leads to me blacking out.

I won't even start listing, because it's really every coaster I've ridden in a hot country...

It's probably not the best thing to have happen though, might be an indication of something not wonderful with my body...

So far, I've never had a blackout on a coaster, or anything close that I know of. Then again, I've only stuck to local coasters...that may soon change though!

Btw, anyone know how many postive G's Millennium Force pulls?

Not as many as Top Thrill Dragster or Kingda ka? It doesn't pull as many as you would think, its the length it pulls them for that makes some grey out. A few times when its been hot I have started to grey out on Nitro at Great Adventure and on Batman the Ride. Also recall greying out a bit on Two Face at Six Flags America after about 3 rides. Surprisingly I didn't black out on Goliath SFMM at all.

Is it true people still do this with Goliath (and maybe Titan)? They play the "blackout game" to see either how many laps you can take before you black out or with two people, who can "outride who". My cousin from California, his friend was doing that with Goliath. He like managed to get several laps before starting to have blackouts, my cousin begged him to stop after he was feeling disoriented and dizzy but he wouldn't. He actually passed out (I think after leaving the park) so he had to go to emergency. I know I'm not going to do that when I go ride Titan for sure!

I'm glad to hear that Titan has been trimmed up and consecutive runs are not alllowed.

~ Jess "Will never play the blackout game" Chan

• 4 weeks later...

Not me personally, but I know a lot of people (friends family etc.) who grayed out between loops 2 and 3 or just after 3 on Great America's Shockwave.

It was runnin' a lil rough the last couple years, but I still miss that one.

Usually I'm fine on SFMM's Goliath and Tatsu but on my last visit, I was nearing grey out thresholds on both rides. For Tatsu, I was on the last row where it seems like the G's on the pretzel loop are strongest.

However, I've ridden Tatsu as many as 5 times in row without any grey/blackouts so I'm not sure why on that particular day, those two rides were affecting me so much.

Even though I know at my age that having a G-force induced blackout shouldn't be too serious as long as the extreme force is not sustained too long. But I remembered when I rode Flight Deck at CW 3 years ago, it was my first time ever blacking out. I remembered that right before everything went "lights out", it actually felt really good (like Euphoric almost). But after my vision returned I felt really numb, disoriented, and confused. It was like 40 degrees celcius outside that day and most people were like sweating hot. But I was wearing my jacket, my cousins jacket, and a picnic blanket because I felt so cold on the way home. The numbness, confusion, and coldness didn't go away untill the next morning.

I never told a doctor or anything like that (as perhaps I could have had an adverse reation to G force). But I am going to SFOT in 2 weeks and some of the rides there are quite intense. Should I tell a doctor though?

~ Jess "an apple a day keeps the doctors away" Chan

Usually I'm fine on SFMM's Goliath and Tatsu but on my last visit, I was nearing grey out thresholds on both rides. For Tatsu, I was on the last row where it seems like the G's on the pretzel loop are strongest.

However, I've ridden Tatsu as many as 5 times in row without any grey/blackouts so I'm not sure why on that particular day, those two rides were affecting me so much.

Perhaps on that day you were tired. Or maybe you were hungry or thirsty or something before you rode? Or even not stapled hard enough. Alot of things can affect your G threshold.

I am by no means an aerospace medicine expert but I read this article http://aeromedical.org/Articles/g-loc.html

It's more for aerobatic fighter pilots but read the "what can I do" section. Some of that can apply for rollercoasters too.