TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

2nd Half Rides

the Premier Spaghetti Bowls (the 6 flags versions that run without MCBR), get faster and faster, and take the back half & that final inversion at a really fast speed.

(to the point that the brakes slam you forward when they catch on the brake run) :)

you can really feel it start to speed up at ~30 second mark in this:

• Like 1

Phoenix And Phantom's Revenge.

Phoenix really goes crazy after the second turnaround. It starts out pretty generic before this part, but after this you get the crazy double up/double down, a surprisingly strong pop of air into the third turnaround, and a strong run of four hills to the station. 

The first half of Phantom's Revenge never did much for me. The best part of the ride is the airtime at the top of the second drop, but the rest of the first half didn't feel too special. It was the figure eight finale that really got me. Airtime and positive G's galore. 

^ I was going to respond with Silver Bullet at Knott's. The first part is lovely and spread out. Then, coming back towards the station it amps up with tight turns, and that great upward helix over the pool of water there. I always love that last part of the ride. And Ghostrider, too!

• Like 1

Holiday World. Voyage. Anybody who has been on it knows it defies all physics and somehow goes from a complete (except HWN) stop to crazy s*itshow in a manner of seconds. Not to say the part before it isn't intense, but it's unbelievable how it keeps its speed especially after that midcourse.

• Like 2

Adventure Express at Kings Island...

All kidding aside, Phantoms Revenge has to be it for me. It's so drastically more insane the second half than the first half. I'd also say Magnum is another great example of an amazing second half ride.

There are some other great 2nd half rides, but the first half of these are so good that I just consider them overall really good, but here are some other ones that arguably would make my personal list:

• El Toro
  • Phoenix
  • Steel Vengeance
  • Voyage
  • Maverick
  • Batman The Ride Clones
  • Premier Spaghetti Bowls
  • All of the SROS's

Best - T-Express. It wants to be El Toro until it hits the MCBR then decides it's going to turn into Balder.

Worst - Can't remember too many rides where I felt it being too long killed too much of the momentum but as a kid I remember the Pepsi Max Big One getting pretty slow near the end, having a very slow force less helix and a little tunnel back to the station.

Big Bad Wolf was a true example. Having the big lift halfway through the ride will really do it.

Wild One is good fun on the "out" but tries to hurt you good on the "back".

Runaway Mine Train at Gr Adv, due to a lackluster first half.

Other coasters try hard to have their second half keep up, but coasters go downhill.

GhostRider immediately comes to mind. The second half of that coaster is what makes it so iconic and memorable. It is also why I am 50/50 torn on whether I prefer the front seat or back seat. The first half with the big drops is better in the back. After you dive off the MCBR, the front seat is better for the second half.

Also, the Beast at Kings Island. The first half is extremely boring and meandering, whereas that final helix is incredibly forceful and thrilling.

• Like 1

A warmed up GhostRider makes its second half beyond legendary.

Goliath at Six Flags Over Georgia. The trim brakes in the middle of the ride do hit, but they don't take away from those final 3 flojector hills.

Griffon. It goes from vertical drop, to inversion, to airtime hill, to splashdown, to a scenic turnaround which leads to one final airtime hop.

Iron Dragon. The first half did nothing, but the second half over the water more than made up for it.

Here are some that come to mind:

Taron Phantasialand, although this is my weakest argument, yes the second half the ride literaly explodes the intensity but  also the last 7 seconds are not all there.

Pulsar Walibi Belgium, This ride is all buildup and then just ends.

Untamed Walibi Holland, the second half loses like next to no speed until the end.

Avalanche Pleasure Beach Blackpool, This Bobsled is literaly just a downhill ride picking up speed as it does.

Also kind of a troll but so true: All motorized coasters that do 2 laps.:p