TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

What are your ideal vs. reality plans for 2021?

Robb and I were sitting at lunch yesterday (Meat Monday! Look it up on our TPR Instagram!) and talking about what we thought we could ideally do versus what we think we'll actually end up doing park wise next year due to the Covid Apocalypse.

Here's our list!

IDEAL:

Spring Break Texas
Summer US Road Trip
Late Summer England
Asia Disney Christmas/New Years Trip

REALISTIC:

Summer US Road Trip
Something in Asia next winter

*Note - these are personal trips, hoping for a return to group trips in 2022! (Well, maybe we'll open up Asia if it happens!)

So what are your plans?!!?

Ideal:

Marchish - Domestic Trip of some sort... Cali/Texas combo trip?  Also thought about a 10 day trip starting off in Hawaii for 3 days, then to LA/San Diego for a few days, then to Texas for Sea World and SFFT, then back home.

May/June -  Europe trip (had planned to go back to Germany this year, but that was axed of course). We really want to go to Ireland, so might default to that with a 2-3 day stop in Amsterdam prior to flying back home. 

September - Orlando for HHN

Small chance, but we have also thought about a Dublin trip by itself a few days over a long weekend (4-5 days) and then going again back to Germany again later in the year for 10 days or so. Still have lots to see and do that we just ran out of time for last year when there. 

Realistic:

March/April - Domestic trip to Orlando and/or New England area. Maybe Texas for Sea World and SFFT. 

May/June - Road trip to Hershey for a weekend?

September - HHN if it happens. 

Maybe depending how Rona' does, a quicker trip just to/from Dublin mid to late year depending how things go. 

So hard to plan with all that is going on... Hopefully things get back to normal though soon! 

I’m planning on only visiting local parks next year, Hersheypark, Dorney, Great Adventure and Knoebels. Maybe Legoland NY once too.

I’d be happy just being able to go to parks a few times each month compared to this year where I only got to visit Knoebels twice and Hersheypark once.

I’m hoping to take a trip to Canada’s Wonderland in July or August if the border reopens before then. Aside from that, I’m planning on going to some parks that I’m a few hours away from but haven’t been able to visit yet (Six Flags Over Georgia, Busch Gardens Williamsburg, etc.), as well as a Cedar Point-Kings Island trip and maybe a Florida trip later in the year.

Ideally I'm hoping to visit a whole bunch of parks (hopefully some major ones that I haven't been too), in addition to my home park of Silverwood at least once.

In reality...Who knows what's gonna happen????

IDEAL:

Sometime May trip to Carowinds (to make up for our cancelled 2020 trip)
Mid Summer California Trip, to finally get to go to SF Magic Mountain.  (I'd love to do a Summer roadtrip to multiple parks, but I just don't have a good feeling that things will be back to normal enough to allow that to happen)
Dragon*con on Labor Day weekend (including a Labor Day visit to SFOG)
Asia Disney Parks for Christmas/New Years time

REALISTIC:

Carowinds (tho I have a feeling it WON'T happen in May -- and instead will bump to Summer, and knock any California trip out of 2021
Dragon*con/SFOG  (it's Labor Day, and even tho I expect things will look different for the Convention?  regardless, I hope to be in Atlanta that week to see my friends and hang out).
December Asia Trip (fingers so freaking crossed this can happen in 2021)

For me, everything depends on what's open due to COVID restrictions, which I'm sure will still be in place next summer due to <political commentary redacted>.  But as it stands, my plans are right now (new parks indicated by asterisks):

-A July Roadtrip, encompassing:
Adventure Park USA*
Lakemont park*
Idlewild*
Kennywood
Indiana Beach*
Arnold's Park*
Valleyfair*
Bay Beach Amusement Park*
Mt. Olympus*
Little Amerricka*
SF Great America
Michigan's Adventure
Cedar Point
Waldameer*
Conneaut Lake*

-An August Roadtrip, encompassing:
SF America
Family Kingdom*
SF over Georgia*
Lake Winnie*
Beech Bend*
Kentucky Kingdom*
SF St. Louis*
Kings Island
Camden Park*
Dollywood*
Carowinds

-A trip to Orlando for BGT, Sea World, and the Fun Spots at some point in the year.

-Weekend or Day-Trips to:
Kings Dominion
Cedar Point
Kings Island
SF Great Adventure
Morey's
Busch Gardens Williamsburg
Knoebel's
Hersheypark

For me, the "ideal" and "realistic" lists are the same...it all depends on what's open and what my financial situation looks like at the time.

We've got a trip to Tahoe scheduled the 2nd week of January that's pretty up in the air right now so we'll see how that all unfolds after the new years.

Parks related ideally maybe to Carowinds of SFOG around early summer. Otherwise we'll probably stick to Orlando/Florida parks throughout the year, finally get on all of the new rides SeaWorld parks built for 2020 that won't open til 2021.

IDEAL:

UK / Europe for 11 days in early August (We've already moved that trip like 3 times)

California in September (I actually have more faith in being able to fly to another continent in August than California opening anything in September because... California)

Maybe we'll finally go to Silver Dollar City but I say that every single year

Canada's Wonderland just as an excuse to get the hell out of this country

REALISTIC:

Orlando because Florida doesn't care if we die

Orlando again because Florida doesn't care if we die

Orlando again because Florida seriously, seriously, seriously doesn't care if we die

• Like 2
  • Haha 8

2020 was my first year traveling outside of Ohio to visit theme parks (besides Disney).  I learned that being in central Ohio is truly a blessing since it is within driving distance of so many great places, plus a day trip to either Cedar Point or Kings Island is really easy as well.  

Next year I'll look to get to some places that require air travel (Texas, possibly California, Florida), plus visiting some of the closer major parks that weren't able to fully open this year (SFGAm, KD, Carowinds, BGW).  Possibly another trip through Pennsylvania to get a chance to ride some of the coasters which were closed this year (Steel Curtain, Storm Runner, Flying Turns, etc.)

No real difference between ideal/realistic for me, mostly depends on flexibility of work schedule.    

32 minutes ago, coasterbill said:

Orlando because Florida doesn't care if we die

Orlando again because Florida doesn't care if we die

Orlando again because Florida seriously, seriously, seriously doesn't care if we die

I mean I would like to think that Florida cares.... they just care you spending tourism money more 🤷‍♂️

I'm comfortable with some low-impact road trips with limited itineraries as it is, but vaccination will open up more ideas for me. And I usually go to Florida once a year so somehow I have to get there in 2021. I'm fairly pessimistic, though, about the idea of other countries letting us in any time soon.

I don't have anything specific planned as of now but I am hoping to do a bunch of US-based travel in the second half of 2021. The "ideal" version would move Florida up from Sep/Oct to Apr/May, if things work out that I can get some needles in my arm by early spring.

Since were more spontaneous I dont think our plans are unrealistic. Its barely not next year, but first is an overnighter to Great Wolf Lodge at KI after Christmas. Beyond that I dont see why our annual CP trip doesnt happen. SFDL (home) of course as long as it opens. Hershey and KI are always possibilities but no plans yet. Our "Welcome Home" trip to WDW is scheduled for mid October, the best time to visit IMO, and IOA is a possibilty for that trip if Velocicoaster is open. 

Ideal:

Flying over from Germany to do a US road trip in June/July/August (Hershey, Busch, Kings Island, Dollywood) and another Florida Trip in October..... 

Realistic:

Europe trip (Walibi Belgium, Plopsaland, EnergyLandia, Phantasialand, Alton Towers) 

About the only thing I can count on is Orlando sometime next year.

The Midwest is on my radar as a US road trip if international travel is still crappy.

internationally Japan is priority number 1, with the UK and China not far behind.

• Like 1

Ideal- Japan letting some tourists in around Olympic time so I can hop over from Korea to get back to TDL and USJ to finally try Flying Dinosaur and check out Nintendo Land. Although Korea would need to remove the 14 day quarantine.

Realistic- Everland, Lotte World, Seoul Land, Gyeongju World

Ideal:

June/July: 2.5 days each at BGW/KD

Any time: Nickelodeon Universe (MN)

Summer: Valleyfair (may get season pass depending on special event schedule)

November/December: 10 days in Central Florida including WDW/UOR/BGT/SWO

Realistic:

June/July: 1 day each at BGW/KD--reduced trip likely due to job change/move to new apartment and not likely to get as much time off as I'd like. If either/both of these parks don't open then one of the following:

• Lagoon
  • Kentucky Kingdom/Holiday World/Beech Bend
  • Wild Card

Any time: Nickelodeon Univere's Log Chute AKA one of the best futhermuggin Log flumes in the world

November/December: 10 days in Central Florida including WDW/UOR/BGT/SWO--This trip is happening this year one way or another before dad's Alzheimer's gets too bad.

• Like 1

A lot of conditional schematics.  Such as, with Big Arrow loopers fading away, I feel some urgency to go get the Dragon Mountain credit...  If our border reopens.

I’ll say

The Most Idealistic: Expo 2020 in Dubai

The Most realistic: The American Dream is a mall in New Jersey

Not planning on doing much travel until vaccinated.  But... 

Ideal:

Trip back to Florida and Texas.  Would also like to do a New England road trip.  Ironically I have never been to a park in that area further north than Coney Island.  I would also love to get out to Indiana Beach for the first time and support it's comeback. 

Reality:

Probably will stick with Ohio parks this coming summer.  Unless things really start to trend in the right direction.

Ideal: Back home to PA for a weekend in late spring, weeklong midwest US in late summer, weeklong international trip near the end of the season.

Realistic: Probably just PA in the spring and maybe Dollywood / Carowinds in late summer.

Will all depend on vaccination status.

Ideal:

Short Universal Orlando for just the Mrs and I  - I broke a 5 year streak of visiting this year :(
Whole family trip to Cedar Point  - first visit
Whole family trip to Dollywood - first visit.  Have been holding out for Lightning Rod reliability
Holiday World - possibly just my youngest and I, or maybe me, Mrs and youngest.  He is a water park nut and he's never been here.
At least 2 visits to Silver Dollar City - we went a bunch this year, actually this year was the most we've ever visited.  The season pass renewal deal was too good to pass up.

Realistic:
Definitely SDC since we already have the passes and can go pretty much 'whenever', does need a little planning as its just a bit too far a drive for a single day.
The others are all toss ups;  almost certain to do at least one of them but it's all situational.  I'd say Universal is most likely and Cedar Point least likely.

Ideal for me is being able to reschedule the 2020 California road trip with my son so I can finally take him to Disney, Universal, Knott's, Magic Mountain, CGA, DK, and all the other miscellaneous parks in between and around the area. We were going to go this past April and, well, that didn't happen. Disney has said the tickets I purchased will be honored in 2021, and JetBlue has given me credit for the flight out that's good throughout 2021 as well. The only down part is the return flight on Alaska only was good through the end of this year and they haven't announced any extension to that as of yet as far as I know.

Realistically, it'll probably be dependent upon when we end up getting the vaccine. I won't really personally feel comfortable with air travel until then. So most likely it will probably just be another year of local stuff like Dorney, Knoebels, and some Jersey Shore stuff.

Well I never imagined I'd be in between jobs sooo who knows what new part of the US I'll end up in.. let's see:

Ideal:

I finally get to the NE area and get to SFNE, SFGAdv

Dollywood if Lightning Rod is fixed

Kansas City + SDC?

Carowinds

Cedar Point

KI

Realistic:

KI, Cedar Point, Carowinds, maybe Holiday World to finally get on Thunderbird, maybe Kentucky Kingdom.

I had planned on being in Florida to visit WDW for the first time since 2002, first time at SWO & BGT, Universal but that's gonna be out of my budget without an income LOL.