TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Does anyone know the lowest g-force on any coaster? (Or alternatively the highest negative gs?)

There are people that have reported here using Apple watches to measure G's and about -2.1 G on Skyrush has been measured. I think restraint discomfort on that ride is more a factor of needing perfect restraints than the restraints are particularly bad.

A big advantage of ejector airtime with sustained negative G's is every row can have airtime, even if varies by row it's there. Getting perfect floater on every row is impossible on long trains. So while it doesn't seem desirable to push the envelope any further, ejector (or "lifter" may be more specific) air will become more common.  

This is an interesting topic. I don't have the answer, but -2 seems awfully painfull and I really don't know if that could be true. 

I'd also like to know what counts as floater VS ejecter. I would say 0-1g would be floater and anything stronger than 0g is ejecter. But I really don't know. We could really use design specs from B&M, rmc and intamin, maybe their engineers are browsing TPR 😂

11 hours ago, Anything said:

Opening a can of worms regarding what is a rollercoaster I guess!

actually asking about any amusement rides. wondering if there's a physical limit after which it becomes uncomfortable/dangerous to the human body.

4 hours ago, SharkTums said:

I also remember seeing Dodonpa's airtime hill (before it was replaced with a loop) on the top of some negative G lists. 

yeah the top of that thing looked insanely sharp

• Like 1

20 hours ago, BotanicalStig said:

This is an interesting topic. I don't have the answer, but -2 seems awfully painfull and I really don't know if that could be true. 

I'd also like to know what counts as floater VS ejecter. I would say 0-1g would be floater and anything stronger than 0g is ejecter. But I really don't know. We could really use design specs from B&M, rmc and intamin, maybe their engineers are browsing TPR 😂

There's a lot of air that's called ejector but is more like floater with bumps. You get launched fast out the seat and may hit the restraint hard but probably wouldn't come out of the car, just bounce around painfully. This is certainly impressive but not at the same level as maintaining a sustained negative G. Such elements have shorter bursts of airtime due to eating vertical momentum faster than gravity, or require higher positive G's to impart the necessary upwards momentum.  The wheel and restraint systems must be able to handle all of this.

Well, I can't tell you what different coasters might have the most, but I can tell you that the ASTM F24 standards that cover Amusement Rides and Attractions set the maximum force in the -Z direction (out of the seat) is 1.5Gs. This is generally the number that restraint systems are designed to withstand.