TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

NEWS: Idlewild retiring several attractions before 2021 season

Idlewild Park & SoakZone has announced that several attractions will be retired before the 2021 season. 

https://www.instagram.com/p/CHI9jtAlFJO/

One thing that is a constant in life is change. At Idlewild & SoakZone, part of our evolution over the last 143 years has been a continuous examination of the sustainability, capacity and popularity of our attraction lineup. As part of that process, the following attractions will be retired prior to the start of our 2021 season: the Rainbow Wheel in Raccoon Lagoon, Bubbling Springs Ball Pit in Jumpin' Jungle, and the current Ferris Wheel in Olde Idlewild.

We know that these attractions have created countless memories for so many of you over the years, and we join in saying a heartfelt goodbye.

Idlewild remains committed to offering our Guests a mix of classic attractions and new adventures. We look forward to adding new and exciting family experiences in future seasons. Stay tuned

If anyone cares, here's the timeline of Idlewild since 2013...

• 2013: Removal of historic Caterpillar and Dizzy Lizzy's Saloon (Haunted Swing)
  • 2014: Closing of Mister Rogers Neighborhood (of Sally animatronics)
  • 2015: Daniel Tiger's Neighborhood (of cutouts) opens
  • 2017: Mothballing of Whip after it stands SBNO for more than a season
  • 2018: Ridiculous new Rollo Coaster trains
  • 2019: Super Round Up returns after being gone in 2018 - a "new" ride!
  • 2021: Ferris Wheel, kiddie wheel removed

The Tilt-A-Whirl was also changed out at some point for a different one.

Net attraction loss:  -6!

And there are some bad typos in that video, BTW!

• Like 1

18 hours ago, jconsolmagno said:

On top of that, I hear a lot of stuff in the park is closed on a routine basis. Very unfortunate. I have some VHS tapes I took of the park in the 90s. I'll upload those soon to show how great this little park was at one time... 

Is that so? I remember the days' (I'm a youngin') when Wild Mouse was the only thing that was consistently closed whenever I'd manage a visit while visiting my grandmother who lived close by.

Idlewild is such a classic and quaint place. Shame to hear that more isn't open consistently, do they have staffing issues causing this?

Yes - you can read the facebook and instagram comments about how bad operations are... I wanted to go the past year or two, but didn't make it there. Hit up Lakemont park instead, which impressed.

There used to be a facebook group dedicated to the downfall of Idlewild, but I can't seem to find it.

On top of that, I hear a lot of stuff in the park is closed on a routine basis. Very unfortunate. I have some VHS tapes I took of the park in the 90s. I'll upload those soon to show how great this little park was at one time... 
I would love to see those tapes!

Sent from my SM-J737T1 using Tapatalk

On 11/3/2020 at 8:07 PM, CenturyFlyer said:

• 2013: Removal of historic Caterpillar and Dizzy Lizzy's Saloon (Haunted Swing)

Promise I have a 1994 POV of Mr. Rodgers on a VHS tape at my parents home. Will get that up over the next few weeks.

Losing that was a tragedy, I have no idea what the new version looks like.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Idlewild has stopped pass and ticket sales and is now waiting until "early 2021" to release ticket prices that "reflect the current conditions." I was honestly confused over why they released a calendar (with limited dates) so far in advance, so I guess this makes sense.

If next year ends up like this year, though, I would definitely suggest making a visit to this small park before it's too late!

^Safe move by Idlewild in my opinion. Easier to sort things out based on how much sh*t the fan will spit come opening day.

I'm working in a similar situation where we are not selling single-day tickets or committing to a specific operating calendar until we see how the world is doing in a few months. None of the recent restrictions in Pennsylvania would prevent a park from operating by order of the state, but it is simply next to impossible to formally predict anything. If I were to personally attempt to predict anything for 2021, I see things getting a little better, but better only in comparison to an unmitigated disaster that was 2020. 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 11/6/2020 at 5:53 PM, CenturyFlyer said:

I would love to see those tapes!

Sent from my SM-J737T1 using Tapatalk

Here it is - if anyone knows some of the rides I couldn't identify I would be happy.

Idlewild July 1991 - 30 minutes of footage.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
On 11/3/2020 at 8:07 PM, CenturyFlyer said:

When did Rafter's Run get removed?