TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

How much do roller coaster cars usually weigh? [Other]

Approx 2300 lbs without gravy or fat ACErs.

https://www.visitkingsisland.com/blog/2019/june/readers’-mailbag-how-much-does-a-beast-train-weigh

READERS’ MAILBAG: HOW MUCH DOES A BEAST TRAIN WEIGH?

June 19, 2019

Don Helbig

Area Manager Digital Marketing - Kings Island

Twitter: @DonHelbig 

How much does a Beast train weigh? – Byron B., Dalton, GA

Great question, Byron. Each car on The Beast weighs 2,300 pounds with the weight of a full train (without riders) 13,800 pounds. The cars have become heavier over the past 20 years with the cars originally weighing in at 1,500 pounds. 

• Like 1

I remember hearing in a video that the empty trains nemesis (alton towers) weighed around 10 000kg. I actually went to check this now and I found 9500. That would be around 1.2 tons (metric) or 1.3 imperial

A standard 4 (3 bench) or 6 (2 bench) car PTC train used to weigh 6 tons.  But that was with out all the extra crap they introduced in the 90s (individual lap bar lockers/bars/steel-core headrests, etc.)

I remember reading a Millennium Force train weighs 28 tons.  Geesh!  No wonder it holds it's speed so well.

8 hours ago, JT325 said:

I remember reading a Millennium Force train weighs 28 tons.  Geesh!  No wonder it holds it's speed so well.

Is this true? 😮
Because it's a lot more than I expected and it looks like more than other similar sized trains weigh

Does anyone know how much B&M flying coaster trains weigh? Those are supposed to be pretty heavy

On 11/5/2020 at 2:37 AM, rcjp said:

Is this true? 😮
Because it's a lot more than I expected and it looks like more than other similar sized trains weigh

Does anyone know how much B&M flying coaster trains weigh? Those are supposed to be pretty heavy

I would definitely look into that; I'd think with the very connected CP fan base, someone could get an answer on that.  That is what I remember, but that was back in 1999.  It could have been wrong.  The number seemed very high to me at the time.  Perhaps that's loaded weight? 

On 11/4/2020 at 7:29 PM, JT325 said:

Your a little high, an empty Millennium Force train weighs in at 19 tons.