TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Awkward Rides?

^ ^^ There's a difference between reacting and overreacting, obvs. If you've been in a major park chain's haunt, you certainly know the type. I'm not saying in any way to not have fun, but you can have fun and be scared without being a dick to both the perfomers and the rest of the patrons stuck in there with you. :roll:

Dude I literally just said it's okay to be scared. If you don't know the difference between being legitimately scared in one of those haunts and...

- being an obnoxious shrieking and flailing jerkass to everyone around you, or
- trying to push other people out of the way, or
- threatening to square up with anyone who dares come close to you, or
- literally running full speed when a haunt actor is chasing you and running straight into a store and knocking over a display rack... yes, this literally happened last year right in front of me...

...then clearly you haven't had those same sorts of experiences, great for you, I have and that's why I think they have the potential to be awkward (you know, like the name of the thread).

But sure, paint me with a generic "coaster enthusiasts LMAO" brush if you really like. :roll:

• 2 months later...

I thought of one more I had to add to this list.  Does anybody find flight coasters such as "Superman: Ultimate Flight" at Six Flags Over Georgia awkward?  Something about facing down, particularly on the lift hill, is particularly terrifying to me.  Now, I can normally do any "extreme thrill" ride no problem, but the fact of going up a lift hill and when people say "don't look down" you almost have no choice!

• Like 1

Yeah bobsled, log flumes, various flats, the cramming people together was always awkward. 

And its not so bad when family or with a special someone, then it's a great thing! But when its not those cases....was deff awkward city lol

Oh Thunderbolt...yeah.... OK so I knew the deal w solo riders, so I was prepared for being w a rando and I knew the ride would throw you around. I was waiting for another solo rider and sure enough.....let's just say someone I was not very thrilled with, and they said they had to have the one seat, meaning they'd be the one flying into me. No problem chatting with strangers either this dude was kinda awkward, weird and said some not so great things and had no issue w people hearing. On line he directly addressed this HS couple "ahh young love. Yeah...thats not gunna ******* last! Oh but nah you two will be the ones! Itll work out!" and cackles. I felt like I was in some nightmare. But gotta get that cred and was already stuck on line w him lol

• Like 1

14 hours ago, dkepler said:

I thought of one more I had to add to this list.  Does anybody find flight coasters such as "Superman: Ultimate Flight" at Six Flags Over Georgia awkward?  Something about facing down, particularly on the lift hill, is particularly terrifying to me.  Now, I can normally do any "extreme thrill" ride no problem, but the fact of going up a lift hill and when people say "don't look down" you almost have no choice!

I actually prefer these versions of "flying coasters" over the Vekoma ones.   .   riding up the lift hill laying flat on one's back (as you do on Batwing at SFA, or Nighthawk at Carowinds) really makes me nauseous. 
and sitting on the brake run laying on your back?   I really thought I was gonna puke on Nighthawk.

but I love the "suspended" face down feel on Manta, Flying Dinosaur, Superman, and even Acrobat (Manta Clone at Nagashima Spaland, that felt way more intense than Manta to me)

^ Those Vekoma flyers can also be somewhat challenging going up the lift hill when it's sunny out, depending on the time of day.  I can remember a few annoying rides on X-Flight and Firehawk back in the day.  Since then I will never visit an outdoor park without my shades, even if it's overcast.

Last summer, I was on Lost Coaster at Indiana Beach.  There was a younger couple in the car along with myself.  I had a facial covering with some Ohio State buckeye leaves on it, and I was asked if they were marijuana :D (which, admittedly, is understandable if you're not familiar with the university)

image.png.dee8ad14393398a22b9086cfbbc59645.png

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, CedarFlags said:

Another Kennywood Thunderbolt post...   It's so weird and I definitely did not experience the kind of forces that made it feel necessary.  The laterals on the helix of Ghostrider felt stronger.

I agree! They weren't nothing, but I wasn't sure Thunderbolt's forces necessitated having another rider. I kinda wonder if it just more their tradition by now or some overly concerned safety thing but yeah I think solo riding would be fine. 
Regardless, when I go back I got no need to ride again it was a bit underwhelming anyway. 

The flyers: I do agree both are kinda uncomfortable but the B&M ones I do find more comfy. On the back is weird, deff on the lift and being not the smoothest rides....even leaving the station I was getting some vibrations which when your head is basically right above the track....not so great. Oof yeah the sun. LOL @dankeykang that's funny! I personally would've enjoyed that. I like the random interactions you can get at parks, generally, just sometimes it doesn't go so well XD 

• Like 1

Rides that intentionally have you facing other people. It's great when you're with a decent sized party, but when you're in a group more than 4 or on your own, it's just weird. So rides like Larson Loopers or Vekoma invert boomerangs while facing total strangers while you ride makes it... really uncomfortable with me. I try to go to the ends when I can, but sometimes it doesn't quite work.

I actually sadly made a boy go to a different seat on a Larson Looper and not sit with his father all because I was too lazy to change seats. Yeah, I know better now. (I was 16!!) Plus, the ride served as punishment for what I did.

• Haha 1

• 2 months later...

Do any theme parks with Enterprises actually require or prefer people to sit two per car?  It seems like you either have one of two issues:  1) a lot of wasted capacity and longer lines (50% at 1 per car) or 2) some potential awkwardness for people in your group.

Didn't go through and read all posts, so apologize if I am repeating...

• I won't ride a larson loop if I have to face people, I ask if I can wait for an end seat.
  • When they put multiple groups together on a large water slide raft.
  • I skip all Wipeout's unless there is no line or I am with a group of at least 3 people.