TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Awkward Rides?

I remember in the late 90's riding a bobsled type ride where they were instructing all of us to sit two per seat.  Was this awkward for anyone else or just me?  My question is obviously pre-Corona, but was this an isolated thing, or are there other theme parks and rides that encouraged or required everybody to share a seat or sit two per seat?  I was just curious.  I don't go to theme parks near as often as most people here.

Great Adventures' Saw Mill Log Flume (pre-Covid of course) will cram as many unfortunately souls as humanly possible into one of those logs. Awkward doesn't even begin to describe the experience.

On 10/30/2020 at 10:02 AM, Chiselphane said:

Holiday World had no qualms sticking me with strangers on the water coasters.  I can't say I really enjoyed having some rando's feet and legs next to me lol but whatever

They have weight minimums.  

It was interesting to me, that over in Tokyo Disneyland, there's a Single Rider entry for Splash Mountain. But in order to get a seat, the ride ops first ask the solo rider in their 'log' if they would mind sharing the seats? Usually, it's an okay situation. I haven't been refused yet, lol.

Also, I just remembered. When we visited Disney Resort a year ago, we had to share a 'cage' (non-moving) on the Ferris Wheel at California Adventure. We sat opposite a couple who didn't appear like they were interested in any 'chat.' And David and I kept our eyes looking outside, trying to get some kind of photos during the ride. But they just sat us together, no questions asked. And they never talked with each other, which was awkward as well to us.

A few years ago I rode the Flume at Lake Compounce solo and they crammed four more people in with me. So awkward and uncomfortable.

Even more awkward was when I was on a Ferris Wheel with my wife and they put a teenage couple in the same car with us...the guy ended up throwing his girlfriend's cell phone off the ride at one point. We just kind of sat there silent for the whole ride lol.

Old school Enterprises were/are split seating, too. Usually you managed to avoid any awkward encounters with strangers, but when I was younger I was getting ready for a solo ride in a car on a busy day when the ride op asked if if this other young man (similar in age, if I had to guess) could ride with me, and before I could even mentally start calculating the ramifications, he was in the car in front of me and we started moving. I think he understood the awkwardness, too, and was trying to lean forward and pull himself towards the front of the car more during the ride. Still, definitely couldn't wait for THAT ride to be over.

• Like 1

On 10/30/2020 at 1:40 AM, dkepler said:

I remember in the late 90's riding a bobsled type ride where they were instructing all of us to sit two per seat.  Was this awkward for anyone else or just me?  

I never found such to be particularly awkward. Maybe different times. We used to have open showers and trough urinals.

See there are some silver linings to the stupid pandemic! I'm liking the staying farther away from people and only being grouped with your friends/family!

And yes, I've been told to ride in random people legs on log flumes, bobsleds, water coasters, etc.  Dealt with it, but never liked it!

Didn't they used to do this for Black Hole at Alton Towers or did you get to ride solo if not in a group? I was very young when I rode that coaster so maybe my memory is wrong but I remember it was two people in a row with one lap bar.

Thunderbolt at Kennywood requires smaller riders to sit on the right side of the train, because of the ridiculous lateral G's on those right turns.

A lot of these rides, Thunderbolt included, sound awful to ride with strangers... but it wasn't the worst thing in the world riding Enterprise on a date ;)

On 10/31/2020 at 7:11 PM, TEDodd said:

I never found such to be particularly awkward. Maybe different times. We used to have open showers and trough urinals.

I've had a lot of locker room/shower time throughout the years. It's different from being confined in a dry-humping position with a stranger.

Gerstlauer spinners, like Pandemonium(s). I don't like feeling obligated to interact with people I don't know, but I'm human and it's the polite thing to do under most circumstances. Our generation may be one of the last which knows how to verbally communicate.

28 minutes ago, Jason Maier said:

I find stand up coasters awkward to ride because of getting my ears/shoulders banged on the OTSR's and my balls getting bounced on the bicycle seat! :D

Reading fail.

30 minutes ago, prozach626 said:

I've had a lot of locker room/shower time throughout the years. It's different from being confined in a dry-humping position with a stranger.

Some. But compared to being sandwiched shoulder to shoulder at a trough not that different. And I recall a row of toilets w/o dividers in a few cases. Not quite the WW2 log over a trench, but similar. 

But yes, human interaction is becoming taboo it seems. Verbal and physical.

I stood side by side at a Urinal with Doug Bradley at Dragon*con one year (I actually had directed him to the bathroom after a film screening he was on the panel after about, where he asked if anyone knew where the nearest toilets were, and I offered that I was headed that way and would direct him).

so we ended up in the bathroom at urinals next to each other, and a little polite chatting continued - which was slightly awkward, but not too bad.

but when I said to him "if you say "I have SUCH sights to show you", then I'm outta here!".. he started guffawing so loudly, the "spray" kinda didn't stay in the targeted area.

still a memory I wouldn't trade for anything.

On 10/30/2020 at 10:04 AM, coasterbill said:

Yup... I love Log Flumes but never ride Great Adventure's because of the grouping policy. Not only is it weird but it also guarantees you'll get soaked when you pack logs like that.

They tried to pack our group of three with a group of two, despite the fact that the line was less than 5 minutes long!

16 hours ago, TEDodd said:

Some. But compared to being sandwiched shoulder to shoulder at a trough not that different. And I recall a row of toilets w/o dividers in a few cases. Not quite the WW2 log over a trench, but similar. 

But yes, human interaction is becoming taboo it seems. Verbal and physical.

I always have an eye rolling moment when there are have three urinals with an open one in the middle and grown men will actually wait instead of using the middle stall. It's like a childish homophobe rule people go by. I'll teach my daughter to communicate with people, just like my parents taught me.

Sad. I get your point, but I'm still not on board with the toboggan position with strangers 'if it can be avoided.' I'd prefer not to, to the point where I've told the ops that we'd rather ride alone on things like the log flume. It also helps with making a lesser splash! Although, it's different with the few flumes I've ridden with dividers.

15 hours ago, bert425 said:

but when I said to him "if you say "I have SUCH sights to show you", then I'm outta here!".. he started guffawing so loudly, the "spray" kinda didn't stay in the targeted area.

I have a friend who's humor sometimes revolves around intentionally making situations awkward. He always stands right next to people he knows in urinals and makes comments like, "nice watch!" 😆

• Haha 1

^ A lot of people enjoy water rides but aren't interested in getting wet, my son is one of them. Or others want to be splashed but not soaked. If the point of water rides was just to get wet then there wouldn't be all those ponchos up for sale. Korea's new flume has a windscreen and their rapids have covers on them.

P1190217.thumb.jpg.e679b4963dd807bfeeb1328028666e8e.jpg

28_51.jpg