TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Any thoughts on what 2021 will look like!?

That sounds like a good way to substantially limit their business, especially given that we're still seeing polls where 40+% of the population in the US has no interest in taking the vaccine at any point.

• Like 1

I don’t see parks doing that at all unless they’re in a state that forces them to do it. There is no incentive for them to do so.

I feel like 2021 will start our just like 2020 and rules will slowly get more and more lax as the year goes on as we move back into relative normality.

Once you vaccinate the majority of the older people death rates will plummet really quickly (like within a month or two I expect them to drop like crazy). As more and more people get vaccinated case rates will continue dropping too (they already are) until people basically just don’t care anymore.

I do sort of feel like masks and distancing markers will be here for a good chunk of the year at most parks. No major corporate chain is going to want to be the first one to do away with them and have to deal with the headlines. Honestly we could be down to 10 covid deaths a day and I still feel like if Disney said “no more masks or distancing” people would crucify them. It’ll be a bit for that but personally... whatever. I’ll take it.

• Like 9

2 hours ago, coasterbill said:

I feel like 2021 will start our just like 2020 and rules will slowly get more and more lax as the year goes on as we move back into relative normality.

In a perfect world, we could all agree that this is probably the most reasonable estimate at this point, and then have this thread locked.  Having it consistently revisited with more speculation and negativity seems kind of pointless to me...  

• Like 3

No negativity here.  We as enthusiasts want all our parks open 100%.  There will be some sort of an end to it (covid) eventually.  Progress is being made with vaccines and parks adapt the best they can to the situation on how to operate and being profitable.  We just don't want them to struggle financially and be forced to cease operations and close for good.  I think the smaller parks are the ones more at risk of surviving.

From a European perspective, I think in the short term it is going to continue to be pretty dire, but things will hopefully improve for late spring as they did last year, helped of course by the vaccine.

I'm still worried about late autumn/winter, though, as I suppose it's not out of the question for different strains to slip the net and require an updated vaccine.

14 hours ago, southpuddle said:

As long as at some point next year parks do away with reduced capacity on rides (seat and row blocking) I'll consider it a win.

Pretty much every park not owned by Cedar Fair has already stopped doing this on coasters.

18 hours ago, Mike240SX said:

That sounds like a good way to substantially limit their business, especially given that we're still seeing polls where 40+% of the population in the US has no interest in taking the vaccine at any point.

The article mentions a vaccine or negative test results within so many hours.  Negative test results are already being widely used as an alternative to quarantining for many different things, such as traveling and some events, so it might not really be any different in that aspect, and you still wouldn't necessarily need a vaccine.

I hope things do continue to improve as the year goes on.  While you never know with insurance and liability these days, I hope something like that isn't necessary.

6 hours ago, FeelTheFORCE said:

Who knows what their insurance companies and lawyers are going to require.  The Miami Heat are using covid-sniffing dogs (or requiring a rapid negative test if you're allergic or afraid of dogs) to screen people entering their games, so I'm not ruling anything out at this point.

If dogs can sniff it out, why are people waiting days for test results?  

Unless forced, parks aren't going to do anything more than they have, as Bill suggests.  There has been no indication that parks contribute to the spread.

Yes!  Parks need to be open at high capacity this year.  The ones that were closed in 2020 must open this year.  If not, goverments must help them.  Unless they are in a good financial position, it will be hard to stay closed a second year in a row without any major financial impact.  Even big chains that have big cash flow are suffering tremendously right now with the loss of revenues.  

10 hours ago, FeelTheFORCE said:

I'm curious to see if any additional conditions will be put on the parks that were not given permission to reopen in 2020.  Let's hope it's status quo and does get more lax as the year goes on.

This is probably possible. Anything is on the table in a state where parks haven't been given clearance to open at all yet. I don't think it's likely (except in California where there's no telling what they'll come up with), but possible.

On 1/23/2021 at 5:54 PM, Mike240SX said:

Just another excuse to save money.

• 3 weeks later...

^ There are actually a few opening dates out there within those states:

• CJ Barrymore's: April 3rd
  • Seabreeze: May 22nd
  • California's Great America: May 22nd
  • Michigan's Adventure: May 29th

Whether those actually hold up remains to be seen, but at least it's something!  Also, Six Flags initially had declared opening dates for Great Escape and Great America, but those have since been removed.

1 hour ago, ricklap77 said:

So far no dates for reopening parks in California, New York, Illinois and Michigan😬

It’s funny, I live in New York and legit keep forgetting that our parks are closed because they all suck anyway. I don’t even know the last time I didn’t leave the state to go to a park. It’s been years...

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ricklap77 said:

So far no dates for reopening parks in California, New York, Illinois and Michigan😬

Michigan's Adventure open the waterpark last year, and little parks like Craigs Cruisers were open. Craigs Cruisers in GR is currently open and everything I am hearing locally is Michigan's Adventure is 100% May 29th with both the dry and wet park s

Given most parks were open in 2020, and we're seeing the numbers way down (44% over the last 2 weeks!) and the vaccine is rolling out I have to imagine all the same parks will be open and those that weren't will be, least at some point. Capacity? I gotta assume will be begin limited, but as the year goes on may get loosened/dropped? Prob state dependent as always, I'm sure some will wanna go to normal ASAP others will prob hold off the whole year. 

My question is what about 2020 rides? I get it's a financial risk to invest $ into a project when you expect down revenue, but well I'm selfish lol and I did hold off on parks that were open last year bc Im waiting for their new rides to open. But parks dont cater to me XD I do hope everything slated to open in 2020 opens up. I mean, this is the year things will slowly return to normal and it could help draw people in? Construction started on most (all?) so I'm hopeful they all will open.
Needless to say Im thinking Iron Gwazi, Ice Breaker, Pantheon, Jersey Devil but I'm sure I've missed some.