TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

News: Funplex Myrtle Beach to open in Spring 2021

Funplex Myrtle Beach

Funplex Myrtlebeach is a park with just SBF rides. The park is going on 1406 Withers Dr, Myrtle Beach, SC 29577 and will be replacing an old parking lot. The Funplex CEO that owns 2 other Funplex locations in East Hanover,and Mount Laurel NJ Said,"“It’ll be a small amusement park that you can stay in for a few hours and keep yourself busy,” Williams said. “It’s a tight footprint, but we’re trying to provide the best experience we can by trying to reach as many people with the rides.We’ve been operating for 23 years, and we’ve developed our parks in a really, really thoughtful way,” Williams said. “It’s a small piece of land, but we’re going to do a really nice job with it.”

The park will be a bigger version of the mini SBF park we saw at IAAPA 2019,with the Hampster Wheel Coaster

Funplex Myrtle Beach will include SBF Rides-Teacup,Toys Swing,Reverse Time,Drop'N Twist,Big Air Coaster,Space Gun,and Tower Planes

The SBF Tower Planes is a new concept from SBF that has not been announced by SBF yet.

From an Interview with Coaster101 with the CEO of Funplex,said,"Yes, it is the coaster from IAAPA 2019. We thought having a different “action” with the Hamster Wheel cars would be a difference maker."

funplex.thumb.jpg.7d97db976271d59b639746d1fad4a43b.jpg

Concept Art of the whole Park

maxresdefault.thumb.jpg.b532c19c5a6f613c63041aeabcda2dcc.jpg

Layout of the park

20200720-160823-The-Funplex-at-Myrtle-Beach.jpg.68b4c96f6e7f4605aa6f9112e30d0745.jpg

3D model of Inside of the park,and the Tower Plane Ride

• 4 months later...
  • Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Work has begun on the construction of Myrtle Beach's new Funplex park...

https://www.wyff4.com/article/work-begins-on-funplex-myrtle-beachs-newest-amusement-park/34760230

A new amusement park is coming to Myrtle Beach. Work began last week on the new “Funplex” at Ocean Boulevard and 15th Avenue North.

The park will be tropically themed and feature seven family-thrill rides, a walk-up bar and a restaurant.

"Designed for families and thrill seekers alike, rides will be themed to match the Grand Strand beach vibe and include the tallest, interactive 360° flying jet ride on the market, and first-of-its-kind in North America," a news release from The Funplex said.

“The Funplex-Myrtle Beach has been a long time in the making” said Funplex CEO Brian Williams. “And we are excited to finally break ground on our next generation of family fun!”

Funplex already has two parks in New Jersey. The Myrtle Beach location is expected to be complete by spring 2021.

• jedimaster1227 changed the title to News: Funplex Myrtle Beach to open in Spring 2021

The layout for the Big Air Coaster looks a bit larger than the one at the new Tom Foolerys at the Round Rock Kalahari.

I like the idea blending a thrill and family coaster into one package, but I'm hoping this one has more randomized flipping (the Kalahari one flipped in the same spots every lap) and a better final turn.  On the Kalahari one, the final turn was unbanked which caused some laterals/headbanging while suspended upside down.  This one looks banked which should help.

Screamin' Centipede Lift 1 (2).JPG

Yeah very fun concept, my kids would have a blast at a place like this. Gonna be honest, I didn't realize SBF Visa made this many rides. I knew about the spinning coasters obviously and vaguely recall some other stuff they've had on display at IAAPA, but didn't realize they had a catalogue like they do. Kind of reminds me of Zamperla, especially with this concept outfitting more or less an entire facility with rides.

4 hours ago, Canobie Coaster said:

The layout for the Big Air Coaster looks a bit larger than the one at the new Tom Foolerys at the Round Rock Kalahari.

I like the idea blending a thrill and family coaster into one package, but I'm hoping this one has more randomized flipping (the Kalahari one flipped in the same spots every lap) and a better final turn.  On the Kalahari one, the final turn was unbanked which caused some laterals/headbanging while suspended upside down.  This one looks banked which should help.

The rolling of the hamster wheel cars is kicked off by a friction panel mounted to the track, that's why it always happens at the same place. It's very low-tech and not something that could be turned on / off / up / down like, say the magnetic fins on Free Spin coasters.

Aha, but it is free spinning! The vehicle is just super-heavy. You could "theoretically" rock the hamster wheel enough to get it to flip yourself but it would be an ordeal. The friction plate is what gives it that extra push. There's no stopping SBF from making a larger layout with two or more plates.