TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Do you plan to visit parks when they reopen?

Do you plan to visit parks as soon as they reopen?  

81 members have voted

1. 1. Do you plan to visit parks as soon as they reopen?

• Yes! I want to get back to coaster-riding ASAP.
    • Yes, and I've already visited one.
    • No, I'll wait a little longer.
    • No, I don't plan to visit at all during the pandemic.

I will be waiting to see how the park adapts and what the experience will be like. If my home park was KI and had some new hotness then I would be there on the 3rd or 4th day after the park opened and figured out their new operations. But with no new hotness there is really no reason for me to rush out to VF or NU, I'll wait a couple weeks after they open. With all my trips now canceled for 2020 I consider anytime at a park bonus time now. The only thing I can see traveling for is if Orion reviews are REALLY REALLY good. Then I may change my mind to not wait until next year and because I can drive to KI I may change my mind and do a later summer/early fall visit. If I had to fly I doubt I would. BGT and BGW will have to wait. I was supposed to leave this Saturday for a CP/KI/SFGAm trip next week . First world problems.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

people get triggered so easily about the things I'd say.

Because the things you say are so insanely fucking stupid that most people's brains don't have the capacity to process that much stupidity at one time. Seriously, please just consider not posting here anymore. There are plenty of people who would actually prefer that, including myself.

3) I suppose if a nuclear holocaust took out the park, that'd probably dissuade me from going...

(I mean, the way 2020 is going... )

giphy.gif

Yeah I'm ready to go. I will have a talk with my family to gauge their level of comfort first, but we're all healthy, have been practicing safe and smart measures. I will be keeping an extra eye on other people around me because I know there will be some who think they're above the rules. My time in Ohio is limited so I might go to KI on the 2nd day they reopen. We will see!

Ooh let me know if you end up going that week, maybe we can meet up! I plan to hit up KI as soon as I can, and I'll definitely go more than one day that first week if the reservation system lets me.

people get triggered so easily about the things I'd say.

Because the things you say are so insanely fucking stupid that most people's brains don't have the capacity to process that much stupidity at one time. Seriously, please just consider not posting here anymore. There are plenty of people who would actually prefer that, including myself.

So he’s not allowed to voice his opinions, but you’re perfectly fine just mindlessly insulting him and telling him to not post here anymore? I don’t really pay too much attention here and don’t necessarily agree with everything that he says, but insulting someone and encouraging them to leave just rubs me the wrong way.

I voted for "No, I'll wait a little longer."

There's a few different factors at play here. One, I have some medical issues that put me into a group that's at higher risk of contracting the virus and having a really bad time with it if I were to do so. I don't want anything to do with that, quite frankly. Two, I've been following the reopenings, and as much as I'd like to get the hell out of this house and get back to some coastering, it'd be selfish and dangerous of me to do so at first, especially if I do catch something and bring it back home with me to my family. Three, if I were to make the decision to go and check some parks out, I'd want them to be open for a while first and hear first-hand reports about how they're implementing their safety procedures, whether or not the majority of their guests are complying with the rules or not, and if infection numbers in the surrounding areas have increased since opening. Being an early adopter on this does nothing but add extra unnecessary risk that quite honestly I can't afford to take at the moment.

And fourth, in some situations, the theme park experience won't be what we would be hoping for. I'm specifically talking about Disney here. I was hoping to take my son out to Disneyland back in April -- clearly, that didn't happen. We were also looking at booking a Christmas trip down to Orlando for this upcoming winter season. I've since held off on that. In the case of the Disney parks, it's more than just about riding as many rides as possible. It's the entire experience. The fireworks, the parades, the character dining, the shows, and everything... and right now, from everything I've heard, it wouldn't be worth making that once-in-a-lifetime trip with the family to get a more bare-bones experience. Right now I'm leaning towards pushing both of those back until 2021 unless something drastically changes between now and the end of the year.

That being said, I'm still keeping my eyes and ears open, weighing my options, and there's a few things that I have on the calendar that I haven't yet cancelled. We currently have a room booked for a weekend mid-August down in Wildwood, and we also have a few days planned in Williamsburg (including a stay at the Great Wolf Lodge) around my son's birthday in September. If we're able to make those happen, great. If not, we've adjusted our expectations accordingly already.

And of course, this weekend we're going to be heading out of the house for the first time in months as a family and taking a trip down to Six Flags Great Adventure... that is, for the drive-thru safari.

So he’s not allowed to voice his opinions, but you’re perfectly fine just mindlessly insulting him and telling him to not post here anymore?

Yes. That is correct. It is our forum and our unfair rules. You can simply fuck off if you don't like it.

[nsulting someone and encouraging them to leave just rubs me the wrong way.

Good. Leave. We don't care.

Do you intend to visit parks as soon as they open?

Yes and no. I plan on visiting the parks that I visit on a yearly basis, which are Cedar Point, Kennywood (maybe if and when they open), and Kings Island. But I will be putting most of my summer plans on hold. A lot involved flying and I will not get on a plane until this is 100% over.

2) What is your reasoning for your choice?

I feel if I am being responsible and following all the safety protocols that the experience will be safe.

3) Are there any stipulations that would change your mind?

Of course, but I can't predict what those would be. Right now I'm comfortable visiting parks where I can drive to and from in 1 day.

1) Do you intend to visit parks as soon as they open?

Nope.

I have zero problem with wearing a mask, using hand sanitizer every 15 minutes, etc. But I don't trust other people to comply with the parks' rules, and considering how stressed out I've been getting just during trips to Walmart for groceries seeing everyone not following the signs/wearing masks/etc., I would get even more stressed seeing rule-breakers at parks. And I can't change how my brain is gonna react because I'm autistic and I get thrown into near meltdown when I see blatant rule-breaking. If people can't even read a bright green or red sign on EVERY aisle of the store that says what direction to go down that aisle, I just can't trust anyone to read or follow the rules that parks are gonna need to have to try to keep people protected. Like, I've told my mom I wanna start doing grocery pick-up because I don't think I can handle going into the store anymore. So, me at a theme park during all this? HAH!

Also, I worry about catching this thing and being one of those asymptomatics/carriers that could unknowingly spread the virus.... I do not want to be the cause of any human being's death.

A well-tested, known-to-work vaccine.

I'm technically not "at risk", in that I'm young and my labs are all very normal and my blood pressure is fine, etc. But considering there are young, super-healthy people who have caught and died from this virus, I see *everyone* as being "at risk".

Remember the color-coded "Terror Alerts" system we had here in America post-9/11? I see every human being as starting at blue/"Guarded" or yellow/"Elevated"; then the people with co-morbidities/etc. would be orange/"High" or red/"Severe". I don't view anyone as being under green/"Low" in risk of catching this thing.

I have orange/red-level grandparents and yellow/orange-level parents that I'd like to keep safe, so I just really don't wanna catch this and risk spreading it to them.

***slightly edited***

1) I won't make any attempt to travel to any corporate parks with heavy restrictions, unless TR's are overwhelmingly positive. If there's an exception, it will be KI. I'll probably pay a visit or two to our local park (SFSTL). Please don't confuse this with me being completely against the restrictions.

2) I go to parks to de-stress. The safety precautions are countermeasures to that process.

3) I'll go back when everything clears up.

At the very least, I'm taking a "wait and see" stance. I'm not an optimist (in life), by any means.

Edited by prozach626

I want to give it a try, but the atmosphere once I'm there will make a big difference if I want to keep doing it. I want to see or hear excitement and if everyone's acting scared or quiet that and the masks may be too much. It could even be that the atmosphere is better! .. It's also going to be difficult to find a time cool enough to tolerate with a mask on. I watch the weather as it is. With reservations and, especially, if hours are reduced, summer could be impossible. Surely my usual nearly incessant local park visits will be changed.

I may look at how things are going before going myself, but won't be dallying a lot because it might go back away.

Yes, but not on the first day due to distance

I was at Disney and Universal the week before they closed (likely prime spreading time) and I felt safe then

Not really

1) Do you intend to visit parks as soon as they open? Unfortunately, no.

2) What is your reasoning for your choice? See Robb's Sea World report.

I want to do a 'wait and see' approach. As others have mentioned, the stupidity of other people worries me. I have to go back to work next Monday and I am already worried about it because we are now starting to see spikes in cases in MO from Memorial Day and the protests.

I also live with someone that is high risk and I have high BP, so we're continuing the social distancing thing and have no problem with waiting a while to go to a park. As Zach mentioned, going to a park is a time to de-stress, not the opposite.

3) Are there any stipulations that would change your mind? As others have mentioned, a vaccine and people not being stupid. But I fear that neither is going to come to fruition any time soon.

Yes. But, ONLY local parks I have season passes to and are within easy driving distance of. Nothing requiring lengthy road trips or flying.

If things get a bit dicey or uncomfortable with social distancing and mask wearing, I feel comfortable cutting my day way early and consider coming back at a much later point in the year (if at all). I would NOT fly or road trip elsewhere right away just to get to another park I love.

To not going at all? Maybe price, crowds, and/or a local surge in COVID cases.

To going to another park further out? An immediate vaccine... and maybe some more cash in my wallet and time off work.

If a lot of enthusiasts don't want to go, that could mean that GP also aren't going to visit en masse and less wait for me.

The wait times may end up being the same because they're probably going to close off a bunch of seats on the rides to enforce social distancing.

The wait times may end up being the same because they're probably going to close off a bunch of seats on the rides to enforce social distancing.

This part of things just seems well intentioned but kind of pointless. They're going to block off half the seats and enforce that we keep a distance between everyone else on the ride...including the people we came with, that we live with and drove to the park with, etc etc? They'd be able to get much closer to normal capacity if they could just let groups distance from other groups.

I suppose it's not like they can trust people to have common sense to just keep distance away from people they aren't normally on top of. Half the country has shown to have none of that at all.

will wait and see how things go (even as part of me is jumping at the thought of parks being re-opened and potentially uncrowded).

As far as uncrowded parks, I actually like there to be somewhat of a crowd. Not too much, but I hate feeling like I'm one of the only people at a park or fair. It's just not a "party" if there aren't enough people there.

This part of things just seems well intentioned but kind of pointless. They're going to block off half the seats and enforce that we keep a distance between everyone else on the ride...including the people we came with, that we live with and drove to the park with, etc etc? They'd be able to get much closer to normal capacity if they could just let groups distance from other groups.

I suppose it's not like they can trust people to have common sense to just keep distance away from people they aren't normally on top of. Half the country has shown to have none of that at all.

Normally they'll try and keep groups together on rides with wider seating - so on B&Ms, rides with bench seating etc they'd keep groups of four together. But obviously on 2-across seating they'd probably split groups into pairs. Strictly speaking I suppose they could just keep an empty row between each group but it's probably faster just to have every other row empty.

I have three months left on a Disney Premier Pass when the Disney Parks reopen so I plan on using that. Disneyland reopens July 17 so I'll probably head there July 20 or 21 (Mon or Tues) after the initial opening weekend rush is complete. Since my pass includes WDW I plan on doing an Orlando trip in Sept or Oct (before my pass expires). While in FL I'll hit up SeaWorld and Busch Gardens too as long as their new coasters are open. I may hit up Universal Orlando too especially if HHN is on while I'm there. As for local parks besides Disney, I don't have any other current passes but if they are offering any deals like 2021 included with the rest 2020 then I may go for it as long as their parks having been running well. I'll be watching SFMM and Knott's to see how they do with reopening their parks. I'll be avoiding parks that don't enforce social distancing or don't require masks for the time being but I'm not worried about Disney. I do hope SeaWorld and Busch Gardens get their act together by Sept though.

• 1 month later...

I won't go to theme parks until the cure for the virus is found. I prefer experiencing the full, live theme park, filled with everything I love like parades, shows, character greetings. So for me, just going to theme park this year isn't worth it.

Me and 2 friends are about to do a CP/KI/KW trip next week. We booked the trip back back in April with the hopes that August was far enough in advance that the virus might have died down but then everyone messed it up during the holidays!!

It's ok because we will make the best of it since this might be the last time in a while I will be able to travel for coasters! All 3 parks will be on weekdays, and from what I can tell based on other TRs, we will have the parks to ourselves!!

I get that this isn't the best activity to be attending, buuuuut.... I know I can practice all things needed to protect myself as best as possible! I don't like people near me ANYways so that wont be a problem! lol

Also I feel like I'm helping the theme parks survive by spending money there! Although tickets for CP and KI are like $20 cheaper than when I went in 2018! So, win win for everyone!