TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Do you plan to visit parks when they reopen?

Do you plan to visit parks as soon as they reopen?  

81 members have voted

1. 1. Do you plan to visit parks as soon as they reopen?

• Yes! I want to get back to coaster-riding ASAP.
    • Yes, and I've already visited one.
    • No, I'll wait a little longer.
    • No, I don't plan to visit at all during the pandemic.

I really don't intend for this to become an argument of any sort, I'm honestly just curious as to what you all are thinking.

1) Do you intend to visit parks as soon as they open?

2) What is your reasoning for your choice?

3) Are there any stipulations that would change your mind?

As for me:

1) I do plan to visit the local parks as soon as I can.

2) I just really want to go, and I'm okay with following any park guidelines involving masks and social distancing. I also don't have any kids, visit any elderly or at-risk people, and I don't have any health conditions that would put me at a higher risk.

3) The only thing that would keep me from going would be 1) me getting sick and wanting to prevent others from getting it or 2) the illness gets to a very high level, but in that case, I think the parks would close again anyway.

I might hold off on Holiday World until Splashin' Safari reopens in July.

There are no right or wrong answers IMO, I'd just like to gauge how the enthusiasts are feeling about visiting during this time. If a lot of enthusiasts don't want to go, that could mean that GP also aren't going to visit en masse and less wait for me.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1) I am going to do everything in my power to convince my family to go to Kings Island sometime during our 4th of July Cincinnati trip.

2) I’m starved, and none of the parks in my area (DC/VA) are even close to opening.

3) If I’m putting someone else at risk for any reason, I would probably hold off on the trip.

This pandemic case at the worst time for me, as I had just had my “awakening” to coasters and had all sorts of fun stuff planned for the spring and summer. I know I’ll have plenty of time to ride coasters once this is over, but the wait is torturous.

Poll answered with the first choice. To your specific questions:

1. Yes, absolutely.

2. I reserve my right to not answer this question.

3. If parks reopened without a majority of their rides/without their signature ride operating, I would likely pass. For example, let's say CP says they're "open" but the only coaster they're running is Blue Streak. Yeah, not going.

Edited by Mike240SX

The virus is out there, it's nasty, I don't want it but at the same time I feel like there's a healthy balance where we can do simple things like wear a mask and practice basic social distancing when it's required or requested and still live our lives which is what we plan to do. I also understand that the virus can spread to people with compromised immune systems but sadly that's how viruses generally work and there's nothing even remotely unique about that. If the state where the park is located feels that the risk level is reasonable enough to allow the park to reopen then that's good enough for me.

Edited by coasterbill

I work at my home park so I have to go whenever I get called back. I’ll definitely visit on some of my off days, but I’m postponing the rest of my planned park trips until next year as it’s going to be a watered down experience almost everywhere this year. Hopefully by this time next year parks will be back to normal (or at least close to it) and worth traveling to.

I'll be visiting parks I have an annual pass for as I don't feel the pressure to ride lots of rides or even have a good day. I can just walk around, experience it for myself and ride whatever I feel comfortable with, and if I don't enjoy it or feel safe, I can just leave.

If I lived in Orlando, for example, I'm sure I would have gone to Universal already but I don't feel I would have actually ridden much - probably a few rides here and there, eating a meal or something, but that's probably it.

I will probably think about visiting a few smaller parks to support them later this year when things here begin to open up (eg, Paultons), but anything more ambitious than that would be a pleasant surprise and not something I'm expecting anytime soon.

Yes, I plan on visiting Magic Mountain and Knott's when they re-open, since I have season passes for both. I don't plan on travelling to any distant parks in the near future, since (a) I have a baby due in a few weeks, and (b) I'd rather wait until mask/social distancing requirements are lifted. I'll also avoid particularly hot days at the parks as long as masks are required.

I have already reserved for SFoG for their opening on June 15th (next Monday) and I have no problem abiding by the safeguards in place. My main intention is to kick the tires and see how the park experience will be. My gut tells me the park will be very empty, particularly on Monday and the rides that are open will be walk-ons. At any rate, the simple act of visiting will return some normalcy to my life.

1) Yes, I am going to SWO on June 17th and BGT on June 18th.

2) It was an already scheduled (Originally WDW) trip and this gives me the opportunity to visit 2 Florida parks I haven’t been to in over a decade & see new attractions as well with hopefully minimal crowds.

3) If there was a dramatically high increase in cases.

I cannot wait to get back to the parks & look forward to when my local parks (Disneyland & USH) reopen

I've been debating this question as I am more than ready to get out and spend some time at local parks again. My son has passed the 36" mark during the last few months downtime, so his first coaster ride is in front of him! And just having a chance to go and do something on a day off would be pretty great. But, that said. I also have elderly people in my immediate family, and have been taking great efforts to stay clear of risks for their sake as well as mine (alhough we are all in pretty good health overall).

So, that said, I think I will probably wind up visiting places when they re-open, but not on day 1. I want to see reports of what they are doing as far as both the practicality of their plans to mitigate possible exposure, as well as diligence in keeping up those processes. I also want to see a lack of cases traced back to the park, as well as the general County Health stats on the outbreak not suddenly picking up after we get to the point of being opened up enough to reopen amusement parks.

So somewhere in the 2-3 weeks after opening seems like it could be time, but will wait and see how things go (even as part of me is jumping at the thought of parks being re-opened and potentially uncrowded).

I'll be going to Waldameer when it opens to support my local park, and BGW in August if it's open. If masks are required that's fine we'll manage, with everything happening currently who knows what the world attitude/regulations will even be like that at that point.

I definitely want to go, but I'm in the wait and see boat. I won't be at any parks on day 1, and at I'll least want to wait until the modified operations are perfected, and/or perhaps restrictions further relaxed down the road. Also as of now, I've decided that if I do go somewhere, I'll only go to parks that are within driving distance on day trips, because an overnight stay somewhere with having to make reservations and such is just too many variables I don't want to deal with at the moment.

1 - nope

2 - I've had 5 different trips that I would have gone to a few parks during that ended up being cancelled because of the parks being closed / events not related to theme parks being cancelled during all this and in the future so I didn't go / am no longer going on the trips. I was running a few 5ks and half marathons at some theme parks that ended up being cancelled as well.

I have no problems wearing a mask to the supermarket or another essential place but I know I'll be miserable in a mask all day, especially if it's hot, so I have no desire to spend money going somewhere when I know I won't enjoy myself. There's a bunch of new amazing looking rides that are opening this year but I'm perfectly fine with waiting till next year to ride them.

3 - the only thing I would really want to go to the rest of the year that's something I feel like I might be missing out is Halloween Horror Nights in Orlando. That would really depend on how they announce things though and what the houses are plus if the numbers still remain low. I also don't care to fly this year either so I'd have to drive so I really doubt I end up going. I'll wait and see about that but if I miss it, I miss it.

I am however keeping my six flags and Busch/SeaWorld passes going every month though since I don't mind supporting the parks / I want to stay locked in to my current prices anyway.

Edited by Satans Hockey

I'm looking forward to going back especially to Busch Gardens and SeaWorld but I am going to wait til their new attractions open. If they open in week 2 or in August that'll probably be when I go.

I'm more torn on whether or not to take my kids back anytime soon. Personally I know I can deal with wearing a mask and the distancing precautions and have patience when things aren't entirely normal, but with two little ones I don't really know how they'd handle it or if they'd even enjoy it. Also just out consideration for others haha, I mean they're 4 and 7 and don't really understand all of what's going on anyways so they might have to wait til later in the fall.

1) Yes, have CP tickets I want to use in addition to membership at my local park. Depends on ops though, if its half the park im not making that drive.

2) Im not worried about this virus.

3) Parks not being open, major attractions not operating

I'll be visiting, but I'll be waiting until a few weeks after they open so they can iron out all the bugs and make sure their procedures are working.

I'm pretty sure I won't be able to wait much longer. And once Playland(PNE) opens, I will most likely be there, an hour before the park opens. It's nothing like a big chain park opening would be, thankfully, but still. It'll be exciting to see what they've done. And how they're going to handle the crowds situation.

My name is Boldikus and its been six months since I've ridden a roller coaster.

While I'd love things to be normal and to be able to just go to a park without care, I'm oddly not straight jonesing to get back out there this summer. I haven't even been to Wildwood/my folks since Christmas. I guess because pretty much all of my life has been upended I have now - three months in - just gotten simply used to things and now find myself approaching normal contact with the outside world with mild trepidation. Yes we go to the grocery story and corner bodega and beer distributor, but beyond that we've both been home. The missus started part time work again last week and for me today was the first time since lockdown I went into the office and also rode public transit (all with a mask). Yesterday was our first in person function - a drive by birthday party for my nephew after which we sat far apart from one another in the back yard and had cake and whatnot for short time before leaving. It's all weird. Between that and the riots etc last week Philly is still totally locked down. Walking around Center City today was bizarre - partly because I've been going there every day of my adult life but haven't in 90 days, but also because no one is down there for work so its a ghost town, and now everything is boarded up.

All that said, while I don't feel the usual urge to constantly get my fix by going to parks regularly, I fully plan to go back to the locals once they're able to reopen. So far all parks immediately around me mostly have no immediate plans to open that I'm aware of, and I'm mostly just keeping an eye on Moreys and GreatAdv. The way I'm looking at 2020 w/ parks is: I hope to still do my Florida park trip in December for my birthday and I really hope to get to Busch Williamsburg and Great Adventure this year and ride Jersey Devil and Pantheon. Mask, temp checks, whatever.

And that would be enough. I think I'm OK with a super low-key 2020 in relation to parks.

I am in Southern California until July 24th. If SFMM, Knott's, or SeaWorld opens before then, I definitely plan on going. I will gladly wear a mask, wash my hands regularly, practice physical distancing, and adhere to all park rules. It's worth it to me for my local parks. If none of them open by then, it looks like the only park I will visit until the holiday season is Lagoon, since I will be in Utah for the remainder of this year.

Either way, I don't have an issue visiting parks once they reopen. I can take care of myself, and my introverted self will gladly stay away from strangers and avoid social situations! If the parks are comfortable opening, I am comfortable visiting.

1) Yes. I'm actually at Family Kingdom right now (as an aside why doesn't anyone talk about Swamp Fox, that ride is fantastic).

2) My job is having me work from home indefinitely so I will be able to follow the self-quarantine Massachusetts has put forth if I visit anything out-of-state. I'm skeptical when any park in Massachusetts will reopen since they're grouped with sports stadiums.

3) I'm going to avoid any park that is acting like nothing is wrong and I can't social distance. I'm also leery about returning to indoor parks since most of the stories I've heard about this virus spreading seem to be indoors.

1) I already have visited a park, Mt. Olympus, a little over a week ago! It was amazing to get back out and enjoy coasters again! The way Mt. O is handling safety precautions is reasonable too, and really contributed to it being a great day! Next up is Indiana Beach for their re-opening VIP event in a couple weeks, and I'm expecting that to be a similarly fun experience!

2) Much like Mike240SX earlier, I'm not going to get into all of the reasons, as it's simply not the reason for this site, and people get triggered so easily about the things I'd say. Suffice it to say though, that I accept that viruses are a part of life, even sometimes particularly bad ones like we're experiencing now, and you can't just stop living because of them. So I was more than ready to go out a couple of weeks ago, and will not hesitate to go to as many parks this year as I can, that don't implement overly restrictive "safety" procedures.

3) I suppose if a nuclear holocaust took out the park, that'd probably dissuade me from going...

(I mean, the way 2020 is going... )

I postponed a mid-July trip until October to allow the parks to open up a little/work out the bugs. Also, since it's a Texas trip, it'll be (slightly) cooler in October with the masks. I also have an Orlando trip planned for early December and while it hasn't been postponed/cancelled, I'm still keeping watch how things play out.

Yeah I'm ready to go. I will have a talk with my family to gauge their level of comfort first, but we're all healthy, have been practicing safe and smart measures. I will be keeping an extra eye on other people around me because I know there will be some who think they're above the rules. My time in Ohio is limited so I might go to KI on the 2nd day they reopen. We will see!