Jump to content
  TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Could some parks close for good because of the pandemic?


Recommended Posts

A few days ago many Cedar Fair parks announced they were not reopening this season. And many manufacturers announced they are not going to the IAAPA show in Orlando this fall.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

No one knows more about the state of the theme park industry than the people who work in it themselves, I'm one of them. There's really not much left of this dead horse to beat.

Posted Images

A few days ago many Cedar Fair parks announced they were not reopening this season. And many manufacturers announced they are not going to the IAAPA show in Orlando this fall.

Yeah... I would be legitimately surprised if the in-person IAAPA Expo even happened this year. Asia recently went digital and it was apparently more successful than anticipated. Just because the expo might not happen in person doesn't mean that negotiations and deals still aren't happening.

 

I wouldn't get discouraged... yet.

Link to post
Share on other sites

You are right. But parks that are open right now are suffering financially. 2020 is lost profit wise. The main concern is that 2021 might not be much better. It does not look like this virus will be gone and cured by next year. I think we have not seen the ugly yet in the amusement industry. And many are expecting the worst. I don't wanna be negative. I'm a very positive person but I am somehow realistic.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 months later...

It doesn't state they are closed for good, but it sort of looks that way.  Pharaoh's Lost Kingdom / Splash Kingdom in Redlands, California has had a sad 20-year decline with two new fires this year. 

https://ktla.com/news/local-news/2nd-fire-to-erupt-at-vacant-splash-kingdom-water-park-in-redlands-this-year-investigated-as-suspicious/

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, SoCalJasonland said:

It doesn't state they are closed for good, but it sort of looks that way.  Pharaoh's Lost Kingdom / Splash Kingdom in Redlands, California has had a sad 20-year decline with two new fires this year. 

https://ktla.com/news/local-news/2nd-fire-to-erupt-at-vacant-splash-kingdom-water-park-in-redlands-this-year-investigated-as-suspicious/

Let's be honest... that place was sketchy as hell and probably needs to be gone forever. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

The 2 parks at Coney Island are at big risk for closing, I have a feeling Deno's Wonder wheel Park, and Luna Park.
 

Deno's spent 5.5 Million to expand the park and buy more land, then spent "$6 million to commission a splashy new European thrill ride of an undisclosed type." According to this article https://www.nytimes.com/2020/08/07/realestate/coronavirus-coney-island-wonder-wheel.html

Inside Edition filmed an Interview and you can hear in there voices on how financially unstable they probably are with the park. (Also Zamperla closed down Victorian Gardens and relocated the rides to Luna)

I am so scared for the Coney Island Businesses, I will be so sad if Deno's or Luna has to close. That would be the start of a domino effect on Coney Island Businesses.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd be completely shocked if Deno's or Luna closed down  (even if just for a new buyer). . . both of these places (tho in Luna's case, it's more the name than the actual site itself - although the Cyclone is technically onsite at Luna Park, isn't it?) are historic, and Iconic.

no way would these disappear.    Community or Preservation folks would step in to save them.

just my feeling on it. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, bert425 said:

I'd be completely shocked if Deno's or Luna closed down  (even if just for a new buyer). . . both of these places (tho in Luna's case, it's more the name than the actual site itself - although the Cyclone is technically onsite at Luna Park, isn't it?) are historic, and Iconic.

no way would these disappear.    Community or Preservation folks would step in to save them.

just my feeling on it. 

Cyclone is easily not going anywhere, its just the others rides and businesses

Link to post
Share on other sites

All parks are suffering financially right now, closed or open.  People are really starting to realize what this pandemic is doing to the amusement industry, and it ain't over yet.  Hopefully a vaccine is coming soon because no vaccine means we are in for an ugly ride. Even with a vaccine next summer, 2021 will be similar at amusement parks.  Everything is changing forever everywhere.

Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, ricklap77 said:

All parks are suffering financially right now, closed or open.  People are really starting to realize what this pandemic is doing to the amusement industry, and it ain't over yet.  Hopefully a vaccine is coming soon because no vaccine means we are in for an ugly ride. Even with a vaccine next summer, 2021 will be similar at amusement parks.  Everything is changing forever everywhere.

No one knows more about the state of the theme park industry than the people who work in it themselves, I'm one of them. There's really not much left of this dead horse to beat.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

There will most certainly be new owners for some parks when this is all said and done.  This has set the industry back 10 years and not all parks will have the cash flow to operate in future years.

Link to post
Share on other sites

As a resident of Virginia, I had the un-pleasure of having Virginia's two biggest parks (Kings Dominion and Busch Gardens) remaining closed throughout the 2020 season, thus forcing me to travel to other parks located in other states so I could fulfill my amusement park needs.  The good news for me is that the season pass I purchased for this season can be used for next season.  However, what kind of season 2021 will give us?  Even if a vaccine was announced for today, it will still takes several months for things return to normal, and it may not the same normal we had in seasons pass.  This year I was able to visit Hersheypark five times, Knoebels twice, and parks such as Cedar Point, Kings Island, Kennywood, and Dollywood once, but it was all under the COVID-19 protocols and procedures used to protect us and other from the spread of the virus.

In conclusion, I would like to say the amusement park industry would recover in time, but expect some casualties in the long run.  Still, I noticed during my most recent trip to Hersheypark (in the dark) that park was crowded, meaning that everyone who attended choose to not be afraid of the catching the virus and take needed precautions to insure that they leave that park with sweet PMS (Pictures, Memories, and Souvenirs) and not the virus.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1 month later...

So far I think it's pretty good as parks stay in business despite the downtime.  A lot of them are not doing too good financially but thet all hope for a turnaround in 2021.  I believe 2021 will be crucial for parks to stay in business.  We all rely on an effective vaccine that could somewhat end or at least calm this pandemic.  If 2021 turns out to be much like 2020, unfortunetly we will see several parks closing for good.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ricklap77 said:

So far I think it's pretty good as parks stay in business despite the downtime.  A lot of them are not doing too good financially but thet all hope for a turnaround in 2021.  I believe 2021 will be crucial for parks to stay in business.  We all rely on an effective vaccine that could somewhat end or at least calm this pandemic.  If 2021 turns out to be much like 2020, unfortunetly we will see several parks closing for good.

I think after a long winter season most people will have cabin fever so bad that once parks open back up for 2021 they will be packed 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Terms of Use https://themeparkreview.com/forum/topic/116-terms-of-service-please-read/