TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

TPR 2019 Coaster Poll Results!

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks for putting this all together AJ. Appreciated the plus/minus versus last year's rankings for the Top 25's. Surprising to see my home park gem Renegade go up 3 spots in the rankings.

...I personally would have liked Steel Vengeance more if it were SHORTER.

BLASPHEMY!!!

The love of my life, Coaster at Playland, is still holding strong, well done!

I'm very glad Coaster is polyamorous. Number eleven is fantastic and fully deserved.

We're Number 11! We're Number 11!

IMG_9619.JPG.64ac3f981e504a97a4c7968f14c5b286.JPG

July 12, 2019. Last Season, I rode Coaster over 66+ times. (I look half-crazed.)

Matching and exceeding my (then) current age #... This year? Who knows?

Edited by Nrthwnd

Thanks for the answers!

So I've been thinking that it would be neat to be able to sort the list in various ways by clicking on the label on the top column (which I've seen some other lists in general be able to do.

They way I'd imagine this working is:

Clicking "coaster," sorts the list alphabetically by coaster name, making it easier to find a specific ride

Clicking "park" sorts the list alphabetically by the park name, making it easier to take a look at how rides within a park compare

Clicking "%Win" sorts the list by %win ignoring whether it qualified, giving a you a potential idea of where rides may have ended up had they gotten more votes without risk of confusing these estimated spots for the official ranking.

Clicking "Rank" returns to the official list

Clicking any of these twice sorts it in reverse alphabetical order.

Not sure how difficult this would be to implement, and I certainly wouldn't expect these changes to be implemented soon if ever, but I think features like this would be cool.

Thank you so much for these results. Only thing I’ll say that locally I’m sorry for LC and Wildcat. They have invested a ton to keep an older wooden coaster and they ended up on the worst list. I know they are trying to get it better and Jerry could have killed the ride but wanted to save it. Good, Bad or indifferent I personally feel that’s a harsh review. It’s rough but in the area I’ve ridden a lot worse personally.

Wonderful!

Kudos again on the immense work to produce these results, I like many I am sure, deeply thank you for doing it.

Wow. I am so glad I am finally getting to Lightning Rod! And shoot, I really should take the much shorter trip to Orlando to hit the Fun Spots.

I guess it all depends how one considers a ride "bad" I take an unorthodox approach I admit, but I think few rides are "bad" they can be "meh" but to go into dislike territory for me it needs to be more than bleh....slow, boring, etc it needs to provoke a negative feeling.

Thus I don't have LC Wildcat or the infamous Grizzly low on my list. They don't suck, they just aren't good, or even anything.

Of course it's about the collective opinion! Can't wait to ride MaxxForce, SC and hopefully get them added to next years!

Oh and what matters most is: Big Apple is still awful s**t

The one universal of coasterdom

So I've been thinking that it would be neat to be able to sort the list in various ways by clicking on the label on the top column (which I've seen some other lists in general be able to do.

We'll look into it.

Good, Bad or indifferent I personally feel that’s a harsh review. It’s rough but in the area I’ve ridden a lot worse personally.

We had over 50 riders for Wildcat, so there's definitely a consensus. A roller coaster could be low-ranked for various reasons outside of outright roughness - for example, it could just be boring for most riders. I haven't ridden it myself so I don't know.

Untamed is a great ride, and I have no issue with it being number 1. I prefer it and Twisted Timbers to Steel Vengeance. They're all great rides, but Vengeance is a bit too intense for my tastes, whereas Untamed and Timbers are just right.

Edited by cfc

Okay, as requested by Andy (and with some creative license by myself), here are the top 25 steel and top 25 wooden coasters organized by ridership. They're in order, but I won't give the exact numbers; I'll round down.

300 riders or more

Millennium Force

200-299 riders

El Toro (Six Flags Great Adventure), Maverick

150-199 riders

Fury 325, GhostRider, Intimidator 305, Phoenix (Knoebels), Skyrush, Steel Vengeance, Twisted Colossus, Voyage

100-149 riders

Goliath (Six Flags Great America), Lightning Rod, Mystic Timbers, Superman the Ride, Wicked Cyclone

90-99 riders

Boulder Dash, New Texas Giant, Outlaw Run, Storm Chaser, Twisted Timbers

80-89 riders

Intamin Mega Lite coasters (combined), Ravine Flyer II, Taron

70-79 riders

Wodan Timbur Coaster

60-69 riders

Balder, Expedition GeForce, Gold Striker, Goliath (Walibi Holland), Helix, Mine Blower, Prowler, Shivering Timbers

50-59 riders

Renegade, Troy, Twisted Cyclone

30-39 riders

Flying Dinosaur, Wildfire (Kolmarden)

20-29 riders

Coaster (Playland), RailBlazer, Tremors, Untamed (Walibi Holland), Wonder Woman Golden Lasso Coaster

12-19 riders (12 is minimum for ranking)

Cu Chulainn, Colossos Kampf der Giganten, DC Rivals Hypercoaster, Lech Coaster, Medusa Steel Coaster, T Express, Wooden Coaster Fireball

thank you so much for all the hard work putting this together.

I'll have to wait until I actually have some free time to explore it in more detail, but taking a quick peek it looks great.

Thank you so much for these results. Only thing I’ll say that locally I’m sorry for LC and Wildcat.

Honestly, I'm only shocked that it's not the HP "Wildcat". . as I've said for years:

"Car with square wheels going down a road full of potholes"

most awful thing I've ever been on.

I’ve never understood the hate for HP Wildcat. It’s rough, but the trains are well padded and in the front row I actually felt it added some extra movement to a bit of a dull layout. And even though the layout is overall dull, I actually got a couple mild floater pops thanks to the profiling of the track entering the turn. IMO Hurler at Carowinds is a more boring ride.

I was curious to see how the coasters at my home park, Busch Gardens Williamsburg, did in the poll:

Steel Coasters

Apollo's Chariot--#63

Griffon--#83

Alpengeist--#90

Verbolten--#146

Tempesto--#226 (as "Clone--Premier Rides Sky Rocket II")

Loch Ness Monster--#262

I didn't bother looking for Grover's Alpine Express.

Wooden Coaster

InvadR--#72

Hmm--not too shabby for BGW's only wooden coaster. It is an enjoyable, zippy little GCI.

These results aren't really surprising. BGW has a solid coaster lineup, and it'll be interesting to see how Pantheon fares in future polls.

^I can see Pantheon being good enough to creep up into the Top 50 maybe Top 25. Honestly I couldn't be much happier about it being added to BGW.

I really need to get on Twisted TImbers .

2019 Top 25 Wooden Roller Coasters

1. Lightning Rod - Dollywood

2. El Toro - Six Flags Great Adventure

3. Outlaw Run - Silver Dollar City

This is the most accurate "Top Wooden Coaster" line up I've ever seen. . . and it's 100% correct. LR is by far the best. El Toro is a coin flip better than Outlaw Run! 3 such amazing coasters!!

A little game, here are how my rankings look compared to the results:

Wood

1. Lightning Rod - Dollywood (2)

2. El Toro - Six Flags Great Adventure (1)

3. Outlaw Run - Silver Dollar City (4)

4. Wildfire - Kolmården (NR)

5. T Express - Everland (NR)

6. Phoenix - Knoebels Amusement Park and Resort (6)

7. Voyage - Holiday World & Splashin' Safari (5)

8. Boulder Dash - Lake Compounce (3)

9. Colossos Kampf der Giganten - (NR)

10. Balder - Liseberg (NR)

11. Coaster - Playland (NR)

12. Ravine Flyer II - Waldameer Water World (10)

13. Goliath - Six Flags Great America (7)

14. Wooden Coaster Fireball - Happy Valley Shanghai (NR)

15. Mystic Timbers - Kings Island (14)

16. Shivering Timbers - Michigan's Adventure (8)

17. Mine Blower - Fun Spot Kissimmee (NR)

18. Renegade - Valleyfair (15)

19. Tremors - Silverwood (NR)

20. Gold Striker - California's Great America (NR)

21. GhostRider - Knott's Berry Farm (9)

22. Troy - Toverland (MR)

23. Prowler - Worlds of Fun (NR)

24. Wodan Timbur Coaster - (NR)

25. Cú Chulainn - Tayto Park (NR)

Steel

1. Untamed - Walibi Holland (NR)

2. Steel Vengeance - Cedar Point (1)

3. Expedition GeForce - Holiday Park (NR)

4. Maverick - Cedar Point (9)

5. Medusa Steel Coaster - Six Flags Mexico (NR)

6. Twisted Timbers - Kings Dominion (2)

7. Skyrush - Hersheypark (40-50ish)

8. Taron - Phantasialand (NR)

9. DC Rivals Hypercoaster - Warner Bros. Movie World (NR)

10. Helix - Liseberg (NR)

11. Fury 325 - Carowinds (16)

12. Twisted Colossus - Six Flags Magic Mountain (17)

13. Intimidator 305 - Kings Dominion (6)

14. Millennium Force - Cedar Point (15)

15. RailBlazer - California's Great America (NR)

16. Intamin Mega Lite coasters - various parks (NR)

17. Flying Dinosaur - Universal Studios Japan (NR)

18. Lech Coaster - Legendia (NR)

19. Wonder Woman Golden Lasso Coaster - Six Flags Fiesta Texas (NR)

20. Twisted Cyclone - Six Flags Over Georgia (NR)

21. Wicked Cyclone - Six Flags New England (8)

22. Storm Chaser - Kentucky Kingdom (4)

23. Goliath - Walibi Holland (NR)

24. New Texas Giant - Six Flags Over Texas (13)

25. Superman the Ride - Six Flags New England (3)

Thanks again to A.J. and everyone else involved! I haven't ridden Untamed yet, but as good as it looks I'm as surprised as anyone that it made #1. I hate to jinx a poor little RMC that has yet to even open, but I can imagine a three-way brawl between Untamed, Steel Vengeance, and Iron Gwazi for the top spot in the years to come.

Glad to see my #1, Skyrush, continue moving up the list. Third highest steel Intamin after Expedition GeForce and Maverick is not too bad!

I'm also surprised to see Shivering Timbers as high as #16 on the wooden list. I really enjoyed it in 2018, but found the roughness verging on a level I think most enthusiasts would find unacceptable. It's impressive that it outranked a more highly-ridden and much smoother CCI in Ghostrider. Hopefully this means Michigan's Adventure continues to address the problem sections of track.

I’ve never understood the hate for HP Wildcat. It’s rough, but the trains are well padded and in the front row I actually felt it added some extra movement to a bit of a dull layout. And even though the layout is overall dull, I actually got a couple mild floater pops thanks to the profiling of the track entering the turn. IMO Hurler at Carowinds is a more boring ride.

You're not alone. I've had enough semi-decent rides on Wildcat to have developed a bit of a soft spot for it, although it's not exciting enough for me to rank it highly.

Since we're sharing our own rankings:

Top 25:

1) Millennium Force

2) El Toro

3) Phoenix

4) Maverick

5) Fury 325

6) Steel Vengeance

7) Lightning Rod

8) Kumba

9) Montu

10) Intimidator 305

11) Tatsu

12) Iron Rattler

13) Twisted Colossus

14) Medusa Steel Coaster

15) Goliath

16) Twisted Timbers

17) Raptor

18) Leviathan

19) Hagrid's Magical Creatures Motorbike Adventure

20) Mystery Mine

21) Superman el Último Escape

22) Kingda Ka

23) Top Thrill Dragster

24) Alpengeist

25) Afterburn

My bottom 10 was nothing but Volares, SLCs, the Conneaut Lake Blue Streak, Mighty Canadian Minebuster and Green Lantern which is the worst coaster ever and I'm glad that it's on it's way to the worst park ever because it's a match made in hell.

Full ranking

Edited by coasterbill