TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Changes at Trimper's Rides for 2020

A different branch of the Trimper family will be running the park, adding 11 rides (mostly kids rides) and a new Thrill payment system.

https://www.delmarvanow.com/story/news/local/maryland/2020/03/18/ocean-city-landmark-trimpers-rides-undergoing-management-changes/2863083001/

Changes coming to Trimper's Rides in OC. Don't worry the Trimper family is staying

Matthew Prensky, Salisbury Daily Times Published 9:00 a.m. ET March 18, 2020 | Updated 9:02 a.m. ET March 18, 2020

Trimper's Rides has been a family-run business for more than 125 years. Now going into the 2020 tourism season, the business says one part of the Trimper family will step down so another can take over managing the Ocean City mainstay.

The Granville Trimper family posted a message to Facebook saying it planned to step aside, according to an announcement posted on Tuesday. The amusement park will still be led by a different part of Trimper family.

Trimper's Rides was founded by Daniel B. Trimper in the late 1800s, according to the amusement park's website. Since then management was passed down to Granville Daniel Trimper and then onto his family.

"It has been our distinct pleasure to bring happiness and joy to all who walked through our doors over 125 years," according to the post. "We would like to thank you all for letting us be a part of your family's memories and we wish all the best to the new management team on their future."

Heading into the 2020 season the amusement park will introduce new rides, according to the amusement park's website.

Trimper's Rides also plans to introduce "Thrill Cards," according to the amusement park's website, that "will offer a variety of pricing and discounts" to customers.

By 1893, the Trimper family owned Boardwalk property between S. Division Street and S. First Street in Ocean City, including two hotels, according to the amusement park's website.

Since the turn of the 20th Century and into the 21st Century, Trimper's Rides has continued to add rides and the family has become important figures in the Ocean City community, including Granville Daniel Trimper, who served as the town's mayor for 16 years, according to the amusement park's website.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This really surprised me out of the blue. 11 attractions?!! I don't know if they're kiddie rides or what, but the park probably barely has 11 adult rides at this point. I worry that they'll get rid of some of the wonderful antique Mangels kiddie rides in the building with the carousel. If nothing else, they MUST keep the Haunted House and Pirate's Cove. Hoping for the best!

This really surprised me out of the blue. 11 attractions?!! I don't know if they're kiddie rides or what, but the park probably barely has 11 adult rides at this point. I worry that they'll get rid of some of the wonderful antique Mangels kiddie rides in the building with the carousel. If nothing else, they MUST keep the Haunted House and Pirate's Cove. Hoping for the best!

I'm sure some ride will be taking the place of Aladdin's Funhouse. Haunted House and Pirate's Cove are not going anywhere soon, they said that when the closure of the funhouse was announced.

• 5 weeks later...

Trimper's posted the list on new rides on their website today:

Tilt a whirl

Ride up, down, and all-around on a circular track that's bound to end in a happy smile!

Hang ten

The Hang 10 is a spectacular ride that spins riders in multiple directions. As the ride spins, the cars swing in and out.

100 Feet Long Super Slide

This isn't your ordinary playground slide. Riders slide down this three lane 100ft long slide on a mat.

Round up

Feel the G-Forces as this ride overcomes the power of gravity.

Fun House

The Madagascar Fun House is a jungle themed fun house attraction complete with moving floors, rubber band maze, punching bags, trick mirrors, and a rotating barrel!

Eli Bridge Scrambler

Are you ready to be scrambled? The Scrambler sends guests into a flurry of high-speed spinning motions that results in uncontrollable laughter! Thrill seekers of all height categories permitted.

Spin The Apple

Great ride for kids and adults! Rides 7 kids or 5-6 adults at a time and you get to control the spin.

Min Height: 24 inches

Traffic Jam

Children can ride motorcycles, cars, and buses around the circle at a low speed

Super Shot Drop Tower

Riders are propelled down this 100ft tall drop tower! Can you handle it? Ride Classification: thrill.

Min Height: 42 inches

Plus the sad news: the Zipper is no longer listed as in operation for 2020

Here is another article talking about all the changes. I had noticed quite a few rides on the list were rides they already had, this article explains it all better.

OC Today

(April 24, 2020) With a new board of directors and management taking over Trimper’s Rides last month, major changes are rolling out for Ocean City’s landmark amusement park.

The new board of directors will be led by Antoinette Bruno, Wendy Dibuo, Bill Hopkins, Laura Minker and Scott Savage. Mike O’Neil, a 25-year veteran of the amusement park industry, will take over as the general manager.

The takeover pitted one side of the Trimper family against the other, with a new stockholder majority apparently dissatisfied with the park’s financial circumstances.

“The park’s performance had been deteriorating over the last decade and the shareholders felt that a new management team and a new board would make sense to ensure the future of the park,” said Bruno, the president of Trimper’s Rides and Daniel Trimper III’s daughter.

Bruno later added that “With a fresh vision, a new generation of family management has been tasked to ensure success for the future.”

She said that the new board is more diverse – it represents five of the six original families, while the old board only represented one. There is still one more board spot open, which Bruno hopes will be filled by the end of the year.

She said the new management is excited for its revitalization plan, which includes a dozen new games on the Boardwalk and 10 new rides. One of the new rides will be a slide.

“This is kind of similar to what you would see in a waterpark except riders slide down a three-lane 100-foot long slide on a mat,” Bruno said. “We’re also getting a super shot.”

The super shot lifts riders up on a tower-like structure and then drops to the bottom.

Some of the new rides are simply replacing the older ones, such as the tilt-a-whirl, a new apple ride, a new Traffic Jam and a new Round Up.

Trimper’s will lease the 10 new rides from Deggeller Attractions. It will also renovate several rides, such as the merry-go-round and the Pirate’s Cove fun house.

As for ticketing, the park will replace paper tickets with a “Thrill Pass” swipe card, which can also be used at Marty’s Play Land. Bruno said this will be convenient for families to swipe at any of the rides they choose.

The pay-one-price during the day will be extended into the night hours. Guests will receive a wristband for any of the rides for one price. Special events such as birthday parties will have the option for a game pass that will also work in Marty’s Play Land.

Those special events can be hosted in three upcoming party rooms.

Bruno said Trimper’s is addressing maintenance issues that have been sidelined, such has replacing the inlet village roof, repaving the park, repainting and re-carpeting the staff apartments and removing candy and soda machines.

Instead, the park will introduce new food and beverage outlets, such as chicken with a range of heats that guests can choose from. Bruno said she is excited to unveil healthier food alternatives once those are determined.

“We’re looking at the park in a fresh new way,” Bruno said. “We’re looking at what the guest experience is and how we can make that the best possible experience.”

She added that one of Trimper’s most exciting additions is free WiFi.

“It is a makeover, but we’re paying attention to the historic nature of the park,” Bruno said. “We understand that we have a very important, iconic, historical landmark and we are not going to take away that charm. We’re going to preserve the family legacy and historic detail while bringing in some modern efficiencies that will make a seamless guest experience.”

With all the changes, Bruno said Trimper’s is not planning on selling any property.

Daniel Trimper Jr., the son of park originators Daniel and Margaret Trimper, died in 1965 and turned over the park to his son, Daniel Trimper III. He ran the park from the 1960s to the 1980s when he lost his leg, according to Bruno. His cousin, Granville Trimper and his family, then took over until his death in 2008.

The park will return to the Daniel Trimper Jr. side of the family with Bruno as president. She worked at the park as a teenager.

After working on Wall Street and starting a restaurant magazine, Bruno has returned home to run Trimper’s.

I'm sure some ride will be taking the place of Aladdin's Funhouse. Haunted House and Pirate's Cove are not going anywhere soon, they said that when the closure of the funhouse was announced.

The Haunted House and Pirate's Cove are the two best attractions there.

The major rides that are gone are the previously mentioned Zipper, Rock Star (1001 Nachts), Freak Out, and Rock-O-Plane. The two small kiddie coasters aren't listed anymore, and all of their 6 or so Zamperla kiddie rides aren't listed. Besides the Zipper, I don't really care about any of these changes. Even if they screw the rest up, I'm glad I got to hang out here so much last summer...

And if they cut back on certain things, that could maybe mean the renovations to Pirates Cove/Haunted House - possibly a good thing. But I bet they're really hitting themselves for okaying this huge renovation with the situation right now.

P7298445.thumb.JPG.dc28acf44a4eb48d1fa4a0db83270795.JPG

Whatever that article says about "deterioration," the carousel was kept in immaculate shape.

Wow, that carousel looks pretty great. I've kind of tossed around the idea of adding this place on to a potential future Busch Gardens Williamsburg trip, and if all goes well financially and renovationally for this place, looks like it'll be worth a stop.

• 1 month later...

In a move confusing to most, Trimper's has unveiled their latest addition. What makes this an odd addition is the fact that less than 100 yards away sits Jolly Roger's 110' tall Giant Wheel which was refurbished in 2018.

We are so excited to officially introduce our newest addition here at Trimper’s Rides! “The Inlet Eye” is just inches shy of 150 feet and includes 36 enclosed gondolas! Spinning for a solid 10 minutes, our wheel gives guests a breathtaking view of Ocean City, Assateague, all the way to Fenwick.

We will open The Inlet Eye to the public this Saturday at 12pm during a ribbon cutting ceremony. Please join us for a day filled with fun, live music, entertainment and so much more!

Not to mention... the first 126 guests will get to ride the wheel for free!

We hope to see you there!

105341283_10163884259940217_3555020575920050320_o.thumb.jpg.48481482012272f436612633fcfcddb3.jpg

^ WHAT THE HECK?? I don't know what I was expecting to replace the Zipper (even though it's not on the exact spot), but it definitely wasn't THAT! I mean, I guess that it's okay...

Edited by CenturyFlyer

^ Very true. The carousel building with the kiddie rides and the Haunted House were great places to be, but I was never a fan of the outside attractions besides Pirate's Cove, the Zipper, and maybe the Flying Bobs they have.

I don't know if you have seen but the Trimper's Rides website was recently updates and now all the rides are accompanied by pictures, the points scale and a description. They are also all divided into the rides for kids and for adults so you can right away see where the new ones fit. I must say I am a little bit excited and wish them all the best. The one thing that worries me is the absence of Haunted House. I see Pirate's Cove mentioned but no Haunted House, just Fun House.