TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

COVID-19 Coronavirus and Theme Parks Official Thread

It's not as simple as life versus money. A massive depression will cost lives as well. It's about finding the best balance.

Anyway back to theme park info. The SFSTL employees were sent an email today stating they should not pay attention to dates thrown about by the media for park opening, that a date had not yet been settled on and they would be notified immediately when a date was set. Which is all fine and good.......except the park's own app and website had dates; and conflicting dates at that. Fired interns indeed.

I get that you're probably joking, but nobody's getting fired for 'conflicting dates'. This is an unprecedented situation, everybody gets that, nobody with any sense is (or should be) thinking any dates they find mean anything until we get some official announcements.

My home park is SFGAm. Between the app and the website, there are a bunch of May and June dates out there that are absolutely not happening. We're in the middle of a pandemic, I'm ok with a website that has some wrong dates.

This. There are so many moving parts, I imagine it’s impossible right now for any of the parks to nail down an exact date when dealing with ever changing federal, state, and local guidelines.

My guess is the dates are currently listed in the app because they are working on changing their ticketing system to reservations and the software has to have a “start date” to function.

Disneyland just moved hotel reservations from June 1 as the earliest date to July 1. It’s a situation changing by the day in every business.

I'm reading reports that regions of Germany are beginning to allow their theme parks to open.

In North Rhine-Westphalia, it's May 11th. This includes parks like Phantasialand, Movie Park Germany, Schloß Beck, and Fort Fun. May 11th is also the target for Hansa Park in Schleswig-Holstein.

For Heide-Park in Lower Saxony, it's May 25th.

For Bavaria, it's May 30th - Bayern Park, Skyline Park, Legoland Deutschland, et al.

For Baden-Württemberg, it's May 31st. Europe Park, Tripsdrill, Schwaben Park, etc.

Remember, though, these dates are not hard dates for when they WILL open. Like Joey and others have said, the situation is fluid. Movie Park Germany has already made a statement that they will not be opening on the 11th.

And just like that, everyone on the internet became a board certified physician...

I'm reading reports that regions of Germany are beginning to allow their theme parks to open.

In North Rhine-Westphalia, it's May 11th. This includes parks like Phantasialand, Movie Park Germany, Schloß Beck, and Fort Fun. May 11th is also the target for Hansa Park in Schleswig-Holstein.

For Heide-Park in Lower Saxony, it's May 25th.

For Bavaria, it's May 30th - Bayern Park, Skyline Park, Legoland Deutschland, et al.

For Baden-Württemberg, it's May 31st. Europe Park, Tripsdrill, Schwaben Park, etc.

Remember, though, these dates are not hard dates for when they WILL open. Like Joey and others have said, the situation is fluid. Movie Park Germany has already made a statement that they will not be opening on the 11th.

Great news!

Edited by coasterbill

It's not as simple as life versus money. A massive depression will cost lives as well. It's about finding the best balance.

Anyway back to theme park info. The SFSTL employees were sent an email today stating they should not pay attention to dates thrown about by the media for park opening, that a date had not yet been settled on and they would be notified immediately when a date was set. Which is all fine and good.......except the park's own app and website had dates; and conflicting dates at that. Fired interns indeed.

I get that you're probably joking, but nobody's getting fired for 'conflicting dates'. This is an unprecedented situation, everybody gets that, nobody with any sense is (or should be) thinking any dates they find mean anything until we get some official announcements.

My home park is SFGAm. Between the app and the website, there are a bunch of May and June dates out there that are absolutely not happening. We're in the middle of a pandemic, I'm ok with a website that has some wrong dates.

I was joking. It was actually a reference to a joke upthread about misinformation and "interns" doing the website management. However, the public is told to go to the apps and website to get information on hours and while they should be using common sense, it also shouldn't be that hard to remove erroneous dates from official park sites if they are incorrect.

Get it back on track with Theme Parks please.

Elissa asked for things to get back on track with theme parks, but clearly some people felt they were above that request. I've cleaned up the thread and removed some people from the forum. It's a shame I've had to do that. I don't understand why people just can't respect a simple request from a forum admin. But I guess this is why we can't have nice things, right?

A note for haunt fans out there:

Looks like the operator of Queen Mary in Long Beach and the Holiday Inn in Orlando (Urban Commons) that host Dark Harbor and Dark Horizons may not survive this.

They suspended operations at Queen Mary, but reportedly laid off staff completely instead of furloughing them.

When googling it, looks like their “house of cards” of financing collapsed. They defaulted on their loans in an agreement that sounded sketchy to begin with (it’s an investment firm traded on the Singapore stock exchange that borrowed money from Wells Fargo for its cash...and they are also in default on that.). Eagle trust is the company if you want to google more.

Europa-Park resort will be reopening in phases towards the end of May, with the park itself open from 29th May with pre-booking required. They will also be introducing an app to manage queues and social distancing - I think we will be seeing more apps like this, particularly with Holovis offering their social distancing integration for theme parks.

Full details (and discussion) in the Europa Park thread

Cedar Fair parks have been posting updates on their websites. Opening dates are still uncertain but they have shared that all new for 2020 rides will be ready when the parks open, and most special events such as Grand Carnivale, Peanuts Celebration, parades, music festivals, etc. have been postponed until 2021.

Edit: One new ride exception, Snake River Expedition at Cedar Point is postponed to 2021.

Duinrell does not have a discussion thread:

https://www.duinrell.nl/veilig-vakantie-vieren

Duinrell will be re-opening the Holiday Park side of their development (houses, bungalows, camping, etc) starting on May 16th. Holiday Park guests will get unlimited access to the amusement park side and a set number of 2-hour access windows for the Tikibad water park depending on the day of the week.

So here in Korea we were down to single digits the last week or two and most of those were declared imported cases. There was no lockdown here and I've been seeing so many people not bother with masks everywhere. We now potentially may be facing a second wave after 1 person went clubbing without a mask and unknowingly spread the infection. We went from him to 12 to 18 cases and though tomorrow's numbers aren't announced until tomorrow there are already now at least 40 cases with 1300 people still having to be traced and tested from the clubs he visited.

When the parks reopen wear your masks. You don't want to be the one who feels fine but shuts down the parks for everyone else.

So here in Korea we were down to single digits the last week or two and most of those were declared imported cases. There was no lockdown here and I've been seeing so many people not bother with masks everywhere. We now potentially may be facing a second wave after 1 person went clubbing without a mask and unknowingly spread the infection. We went from him to 12 to 18 cases and though tomorrow's numbers aren't announced until tomorrow there are already now at least 40 cases with 1300 people still having to be traced and tested from the clubs he visited.

When the parks reopen wear your masks. You don't want to be the one who feels fine but shuts down the parks for everyone else.

Just read they shut down bars and restaurants again because of that ONE person.

Cannot agree more with what you posted. If we could all just be responsible and follow the reasonable guidelines of masks and doing our best to stay socially distant, we can control the spread amongst asymptomatic people and then this can truly be “like the flu.”

Just read they shut down bars and restaurants again because of that ONE person.

Cannot agree more with what you posted. If we could all just be responsible and follow the reasonable guidelines of masks and doing our best to stay socially distant, we can control the spread amongst asymptomatic people and then this can truly be “like the flu.”

That person should get punished fairly heavily. Also, this isn't the first example of someone in South Korea being stupid during this crisis (in February, someone who had traveled to Wuhan came back to South Korea and went to a large church service without self-quarantining, infecting hundreds)

Update from what's left of the UK: The hospitality industry (which I would assume includes theme parks) will be able to open 'at the earliest' from July. This is conditional on certain targets on the number of infections and the R-number being met. With the lockdown restrictions being relaxed from Wednesday, it seems quite optimistic but we'll see. I'm sure Boris knows what he's doing ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Denmark is targeting June 8 for phase three of its reopening, which will allow amusement parks.

Farup Sommerland, Djurs Sommerland, Tivoli Gardens, and Legoland Billund have all made statements that they are targeting to open on June 8, but the plans are not finalized yet. Tivoli Gardens appears to be the most confident about their opening, and they are extending their summer season to October 4. Farup also intends to add another weekend to their summer season.

https://www.faarupsommerland.dk/da/mere/information-om-corona-covid-19-i-faarup/

https://djurssommerland.dk/coronavirus/

https://www.tivoli.dk/da/praktisk/coronavirus

https://www.legoland.dk/vard-at-vide/coronavirus/

The theme parks in Norway are also optimistic about re-opening, as their government is authorizing their openings starting on June 1. I believe we'll hear more concrete information here in the next few days, for example, TusenFryd will be announcing their finalized plans on May 15.

For our readers in North America and other countries outside the E.U., keep in mind that travel restrictions are still in effect and there are reports that they may be extended until the middle of June at the earliest.

Walibi Holland opens May 25

Efteling will open its doors again on May 20, but a visit must be registered in advance, also for subscription holders.

Toverland has not yet announced an opening date, but a test evening for employees is planned on May 13.

Thanks for letting us know about Toverland. We've also been discussing re-openings of certain parks in their designated discussion threads:

Efteling here - https://themeparkreview.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1936456#p1936456

Walibi here - https://themeparkreview.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1936458#p1936458

In 2020, you must now stay at the Mt. Olympus Resort in order to access the park.

MtO.thumb.JPG.20b1a3b00e5dd2cf35448a7264304f7f.JPG

One other thing I'm wondering about is if they'll even run Hades 360 this year with social distancing in place. They refused to run that ride with anything less than a full train last year.

Doesn't Mt. Olympus own a TON of hotels in the town now? So I bet they still have plenty of people just based on 'resort' guests. I wonder more about their staffing cause don't they normally get a ton of Eastern European's to come for the summer as ride ops?

Duinrell will be re-opening the Holiday Park side of their development (houses, bungalows, camping, etc) starting on May 16th. Holiday Park guests will get unlimited access to the amusement park side and a set number of 2-hour access windows for the Tikibad water park depending on the day of the week.

Update from Duinrell, they are opening the park to all guests instead of just Holiday Park guests, with limited capacity and advance reservations.

Meanwhile, Toverland is "targeting" a re-opening date of May 19th, though the local mayor has approved it so they should be good to go.

https://toverland.com/coronavirus/