TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

COVID-19 Coronavirus and Theme Parks Official Thread

I don't mind having to wear masks at a park, I just want to go to one now. What I find funny is on this board most are ok with masks at parks. If you go to any Disney board they are all up in arms over it.

Re-opening the economy successfully is going to take another round of massive federal assistance. Restaurants and bars won’t be making profits if at reduced capacity, there will still be people afraid to travel (warren buffet sold all his positions in airlines....roughly 10% of delta, United, Southwest, and American because he doesn’t see a recovery anytime soon), the deferred payments will come due, over leveraged Airbnb hosts who took out mortgages dependent upon revenue from Airbnb will be foreclosing, commercial office space will surely go down since so many are working from home successfully, the list goes on and on....

We need to prepare for vastly different theme park operations the next few years. Aside from the safety precautions, parks are going to have to look very hard at their pricing and costs to ride out this downturn.

Spot on. Thank you. Staying home is an important part of fighting the virus, but it's not the entire strategy. I hear a lot of people talking like it's all over now, let's all get out of our houses like nothing ever happened. We're still very much in the middle of this, and we're going to have to work together for several more months to get through it. I know we all have the resilience to work together. I hope we choose to use it.

I feel like masks at a theme park poses many questions. Do we wear them on rides? What if they fall off? We need to take them off when we eat or drink (which is quite often at a theme park). Doesn't that defeat the whole purpose? Will little kids even keep theirs on?

Same with social distancing. We can run rides at half capacity, use every other switchback, etc. But it's a theme park. I feel like it is actually impossible to social distance. It is very different than a restaurant, bar, or gym where enforcing it is much more practical and reasonable.

I don't know. If all these crazy rules are in place at a theme park (such as wearing a mask, trying to social distance, rides operating at half capacity, services closed, limited attractions), I don't even wanna go yet. I would rather wait until next year altogether. What's the point of going to a theme park if it's a total warzone and you cannot enjoy yourself?

I feel like masks at a theme park poses many questions. Do we wear them on rides? What if they fall off? We need to take them off when we eat or drink (which is quite often at a theme park). Doesn't that defeat the whole purpose? Will little kids even keep theirs on?

Same with social distancing. We can run rides at half capacity, use every other switchback, etc. But it's a theme park. I feel like it is actually impossible to social distance. It is very different than a restaurant, bar, or gym where enforcing it is much more practical and reasonable.

I don't know. If all these crazy rules are in place at a theme park (such as wearing a mask, trying to social distance, rides operating at half capacity, services closed, limited attractions), I don't even wanna go yet. I would rather wait until next year altogether. What's the point of going to a theme park if it's a total warzone and you cannot enjoy yourself?

To repeat, I think that's why Cedar Fair extended the 2020 passes through 2021. Cases are still rising in many states and could rise much more as things partially reopen.

Filmmaker Michael Moore gave an interview last week where he said his source(s) at National Institutes of Health told him to expect a two year corona crisis (until a vaccine is ready, assuming those efforts will be successful).

I feel like masks at a theme park poses many questions. Do we wear them on rides? What if they fall off? We need to take them off when we eat or drink (which is quite often at a theme park). Doesn't that defeat the whole purpose?......

Same things I thought of, when masks and testing were going to be (probably) a part of re-opening parks.

Are the masks going to have little straps in back, so they won't fly off during a coaster ride?

Sounds silly/stupid to ask, but hey. They may go there with that. Time will tell.

It's not stupid to ask at all. My wife has made us all masks because she's crafty like that, and one of them has a big elastic band that goes around the back of your head rather than just over your ears. It's useful for cycling. I imagine it would hold up on a roller coaster too.

I've typically stuck to reporting the facts in this case, but here's an opinion:

The "doesn't affect me, so why should I care" attitude is what will cause an increase in cases once theme parks and large venues open. I was just in downtown Winter Park, a well-to-do college town north of Orlando yesterday, and in two hours I could count the number of people actually wearing masks and / or truly social distancing with one hand.

Very few in this country will consistently obey any rules regarding these new guidelines (heck, even I have violated them on occasion), and current evidence suggests that some people will actually become upset enough about them to issue threats toward those making the rules. Few will choose to accept inconvenience for the common good due to an implication of restricted freedom ("liberty", if you will). Add that attitude to the already awful attitude of "I paid my life savings for my Disney vacation so I'm allowed to act like a moron" and you have a recipe for disaster.

I want the theme parks to open back up for not just the sake of my enjoyment, but more importantly for the livelihood of my friends, co-workers, and all the other great people in the business.

But I would not want to be in the shoes of the major theme park operators right now, they have a real Kobayashi Maru situation on their hands.

And... double post because it's a different subject... Holiday World will be re-opening on June 14th.

https://www.holidayworld.com/covid-19/

During his twenty-some years serving Holiday World & Splashin’ Safari as park president, my dad—Will Koch Jr.—never missed an opening day. Especially not when a new attraction was on the line. We do everything in our power to uphold his same standard—though circumstances this year kept us from our originally scheduled opening day.

We’re now excited to share that in accordance with Gov. Holcomb’s Back on Track Indiana Plan, we intend to open our gates on June 14.

You may have a lot of questions, and we’re going to do our best to answer them below, but just know that if this alters your plans, we’re still going to take care of you.

We’re also changing our operations in ways you may or may not notice. We’re going to have hand sanitizer readily available all over the park, and we may ask your patience while we sanitize our rides. We’re even likely to limit park attendance while we figure out how to operate as safely as possible.

....But I would not want to be in the shoes of the major theme park operators right now, they have a real Kobayashi Maru situation on their hands.

Good reference. Live long...

The next month will be big. I would expect some parks to announce opening dates (barring setbacks) and others to announce they're staying closed in 2020 (which will likely happen for many smaller Northeast parks and maybe even a big chain park or two)

^Yes, and if you are interested on how they came up with that date you can read the Indiana state plan here:

https://backontrack.in.gov/2362.htm

Their best case scenario has things almost back to normal for them by July 4th.

The part of this that I find extremely worrying, distressing even, is this:

If still on track, on June 14th we’ll advance to Stage 4....

In Stage 4, face coverings will be optional....

Coinciding a lot more people gathering in one place and telling people it's okay not to wear a mask is a recipe for disaster.

I mean masks are supposed to be mandatory in parks in Korea and quite a few people just take them off as soon as they're through the main gate picking and then choosing where to wear them. Others start wearing them on their chins making them ineffective. Parks can't really invest in having security guards in every corner of the park to make sure people comply. Everland also has spaces in the lines and look at the pictures I posted a few pages back.

So even if the parks open and masks and social distancing are mandatory, you're still going to have plenty of people who don't care.

I completely agree, but I would say that's all the more reason not to tell people it's okay not to have one. If compliance is spotty at best when the messaging is that it's super important, then the compliance will be near zero if the message is that it's no longer important.

....But I would not want to be in the shoes of the major theme park operators right now, they have a real Kobayashi Maru situation on their hands.

Good reference. Live long...

too bad many of us don't live in a Star Trek Country where "the needs of the many, outweigh the needs of the few. or the one"

as A.J. mentions. . almost NO masks out and about in local park here either. and large groups hanging out close to each other as well. Way too many selfish, self-centered, idiots living in America.

this is why we can't ever have nice things

but I'm choosing to remain optimistic, and hoping for a really good outcomes going forward. Great news on Holiday World, and really keeping fingers crossed that our delayed trip to Carowinds (which we moved to end of July) is going to really happen!

It's not stupid to ask at all. My wife has made us all masks because she's crafty like that, and one of them has a big elastic band that goes around the back of your head rather than just over your ears. It's useful for cycling. I imagine it would hold up on a roller coaster too.

Are you cycling in a group or crowds? At least in NY, you only have to wear a mask if you cannot maintain social distancing, so that wouldn't apply to a bike ride (for me at least). Breathing wouldn't be fun either.

Just for reference, there are some smaller parks in the Southern part of the country that are still (for now) planning to open sometime this month. Would not be surprised if any or all of these get pushed back, but as things currently stand, one of these candidates might not be a bad pick for the "first park to reopen" question

AA.thumb.PNG.4305e4e16aaa38a23731577ed70613c9.PNG

BB.thumb.PNG.e56f9da0015a9061556f02415419bc6d.PNG

MS.thumb.PNG.97df8706863ba1867e274d4212eac4b4.PNG

^ Fine. Might as well have a few test cases, of how it all works out, good or not so good..... right?

Not trying to be flippant about it, but somebody's got to start the ball rolling, for openings, yes? No?

Playland(PNE) is still "scheduled" to open on July 1, but it wouldn't surprise me, if that gets pushed back, again.

IMG_1922.JPG.def0d6befdeb65185333c2205ee7abd1.JPG

Taken January 11, 2020. Before the park's operations shutdown.

Are you cycling in a group or crowds? At least in NY, you only have to wear a mask if you cannot maintain social distancing, so that wouldn't apply to a bike ride (for me at least). Breathing wouldn't be fun either.

Usually solo. The main thing is that when you're cycling, there's about a 60 foot cone behind you where particles can fly. So to protect others, while I'm cycling around town, I wear the mask. It's honestly not that hard to breathe; they're cloth, and somewhat porous still. When I'm out on the farm roads, I don't worry about the mask, since there aren't any pedestrians there.

Going to play devil's advocate here, as I so often find myself doing. While I get that it is desirable for masks to be worn initially as we start rolling out the reopenings and I agree some park has to be the guinea pig.......I don't know that allowing them to be optional by phase 4 is that awful. I mean the point of doing it in phases is to slowly test the waters, if something goes wonky in phase 1, 2, or 3 those will get extended so, theoretically, by phase 4 results will be favorable. And just like you cannot keep quarantine going for years, neither can you keep people in masks indefinitely. It just won't happen.

Remember a vaccine may come; or it may not.

I am happy to hear some parks are finally announcing actual dates. Seems like they were playing a bit of a game of chicken as to who would be the first to get in the water after the shark was sighted. My son is still waiting to hear from SFSTl on when employees will restart training. They need to make some decisions because right now on the web site and app it is listing May 18 as opening date

This also begs another question: will masks be required on water rides? What about water parks? The disposable masks are not waterproof and could actually be dangerous to wear while swimming. It could be that water rides and water parks do not open at all. And enforcing the use of masks might be difficult considering how many riders will have them fly off on coasters. Enthusiasts like us will be prepared for that but not necessarily the GP. Hopefully the parks that do open will provide disposables for their guests or otherwise they might only be able to limit the mandatory wearing of them to park entry.

I think we're over-analysing masks a bit. I can't see any situation where they would fly off. They are lightweight, elasticated, hook over your ears and mould to the contours of your face.

There will be situations like eating and water rides (assuming water parks even open) where you won't be able to or need to wear them but that doesn't make them pointless. So long as most people are wearing them most of the time the overall risk reduces. Masks aren't a magical silver bullet, they are just one of many measures aimed at slowing the infection rate.

Good luck to the parks, there's a lot to think about when you consider everything that makes up a theme park. We talk about queue lines, but they need to think about every pathway, every shop, every restaurant, every show, and every attraction and work out a way to impose social distancing while still trying to maintain a sense of fun.

I will probably be revisiting the parks out of misplaced loyalty and to support them, but I am not looking forward to it.

Problem with masks is that you would have to switch theme every couple of hours. Because of your breath, the mask becomes moist and doesn't stop the virus from entering your nose or mouth anymore. That's why doctors and nurses need multiple masks a day and why a lot of countries barely have enough for jus the healthcare. Water rides (and most definitely parks) would be out of the question, if masks are deemed as an appropriate measure. I see the masks more as a savior for the airline industry, if research shows that they do really help *enough*, it could be the reason to start flying again.

I'm wondering how parks (especially in the Orlando/southern California area) are going to enforce the 6 feet measure. 50% capacity still means over 10,000s of people and hour long lines. Even if they all adapt a virtual queue system, you'd just be moving the crowds to the pathways, with not as much for them to do (no parades, shows or live entertainment).