TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

COVID-19 Coronavirus and Theme Parks Official Thread

I am beginning to doubt that we will see a 2020 season anywhere.

I’ve been saying, and thinking this for weeks now.... And I wasn’t trying to be a “Debby Downer.” However, with each passing day, and each new update.... It’s growing harder and harder to see parks opening.

Well, its a step in the right direction

With Ohio's outlook having improved in recent weeks, the next natural question in the state's fight with the coronavirus (COVID-19) is when will its economy be reopening. On Thursday Ohio Governor Mike DeWine provided the most thorough answer yet, saying that the state is planning to begin the process of reopening on May 1.

https://www.wkyc.com/mobile/article/news/health/coronavirus/gov-mike-dewine-ohio-looking-to-restart-economy-on-may-1/95-c933626b-da9e-4588-9dd4-50eec2cb9814

“This is not about going back to where we were before. It’s about going forward in ways that are healthy for all of us,” said Dr. Sonia Angell, director of the California Department of Public Health. “But it won’t look the same.”

If this was supposed to be a positive statement, it did a piss poor job.

I was planning to go to Cedar Point and Kings Island for my 21st birthday in July

Buy a case of beer and drown your sorrows. I've been doing this once a week for years..........

Just posted. An Ontario Krispy Kreme franchise, showing

a queue of cars. Patiently waiting for their doughnut fix.

We don't have a Krispy Kreme in my town, but our ice cream shops have been out of control. A really popular, and damned delicious, custard stand near us has traffic cones weaving cars through the parking lot to get to the drive-thru.

I know it's not right to make too light of anything so serious,

but don't we need some humor now and then?....

So, I've read that a new cocktail is now available: The Quaran~Tini.*

*Anything and Vodka or Gin.

cocktail1.jpg.a4447a5c135a9d984f23cea5b7485756.jpg

Yes. The only alternative to returning life to normal is continuing in the perpetual shutdown until there's a vaccine, which may be 6 months, a year, 18 months, or never.

Apparently Florida is starting to re-open their beaches this evening.... Am I the only one thinking this is still a bit too soon?

Yeah they are but it's really limited in what's being allowed. All counties are a bit different but here they're only open from 6am to noon for "physical activities" walking running biking surfing etc. Some counties are also open in the evenings but only from 5pm to 8pm and under the same restriction.

Seems reasonable if people follow the rules, but we'll see how that goes. I know in our county police will be patrolling like crazy so hopefully that helps a bit.

^Exactly, people need to read the info and not just the headline. You're not allowed to actually 'hang out' at the beach. It's just open for exercise, swimming, etc. No bathrooms, no playgrounds, no sports, no groups, etc.

Greg Abbott just announced the reopening of most all Retail Business in Texas should be open by 4/24 (some open earlier).

restriction being it's for To Go orders only.. . so basically he's announcing to reopen all bushiness, but no allowed inside- curbside pickup. (not sure *how* that will work with business such as hair/nail salons, or similar. . .but that's what he just had a news conference on).

I'm not 100% with Abbott, but I could see this being a somewhat workable compromise for a few businesses (such as my local comic shop) to allow them to staff back up to do online shopping basically.

so this is a. . . . good (???) move? I worry that Texas hasn't come close to peaking yet. . .

cautiously optimistic.

he also announced State Parks will reopen on 4/20, but people are still required to maintain social distancing.

here's the link to the story: they got it up fast, since he just finished the press conference.

https://www.kvue.com/article/news/health/coronavirus/coronavirus-texas-update-gov-abbott-reopening-business-plan/269-5bc600d9-d5fc-4902-a1e8-94e3013d7485

"Essential" businesses have been doing that in Illinois since the beginning of this. It works just like curbside food. I went and picked up painting supplies from Sherwin Williams last weekend. I called the number on the door, which was large enough to see from the parking lot, and I placed my order. Ten minutes later, my order was delivered by a mostly competent gentleman wearing masks and gloves. He put it in the trunk of my car without me having to get out of my car.

In most cases, I think the threat of infection is more dangerous from employee to employee, instead of employee to consumer. It would have to work differently for physical contact services like hair salons/barber shops. We had someone cut our hair at work last week. She wore a mask, gloves, and goggles. She sprayed the chairs and covers down in between cuts. She checked our temperature before the cut.

One potential problem I recognize is that reopening some of these businesses places more responsibility on individuals and less away from the government. As things begin to feel more and more normal, I believe people will become complacent. Do you want more government control or more individual control? There are so many questions that can be asked around that sentiment. It's a huge catch-22.

Criminals are being really cute about this. Two people smashed their car into one of our squad cars, while nearly striking our officers, in order to avoid escape for robbery charges. Both claimed they had COVID, because some agencies would release them. They were sent to the hospital for testing and it took a few days to return negative. One admitted to falsifying the claim, because it's been working with other agencies, even after being charged with dangerous violent crimes. For example, he was just released a week prior to that for guess what... robbery.

Both faked symptoms and one even had an elevated temperature for a couple of the readings. I guess maybe you can rub your forehead long enough or maybe do exercises? Either way, although it was normal for most readings, there were several times it was elevated.

Regardless, from Monday until Thursday, I didn't know if I had been directly exposed to two people with COVID from unavoidable physical contact. Luckily, the test returned negative. In those circumstances, it was right at shift change and there wasn't enough time to prepare our PPE. That was a fun thing to have hanging over my head while confined to my home with a pregnant AF wife. This is becoming a common practice for dangerous people and some other agencies don't have the resources to do anything but release them.

The Missouri governor announced yesterday that the stay at home order will go until May 3rd but starting on May4th businesses will be allowed to start re opening. There will be future announcements as to what exactly that looks like, there is a task force working on it.

We have had curbside pick up at most restaurants the whole time. Agree it will place more responsibility on the individual but there is no way to keep a stay at home order in place for a year or whatever until a vaccine or treatment is in place.

The bad guys always try to get clever (even though they seldom are) don't they?

Also choosing to be cautiously optimistic.

I tend to agree with you - the summer season is up in the air but I can see seasonal parks being open for their Halloween and Christmas events.

I find it unlikely, but I have to ask, is Wonderland Park in Amarillo, Texas actually open right now? Their website has no mention of the pandemic and their calendar shows them open weekends (opening day was April 4).

Judging from their social media they are not open.

I shared this already in the USO thread but I feel it's even more fitting here. This is a video from a local news channel of a flyover over all the closed parks. You can get a pretty good view at all the construction going on right now in the area as well.

[fbvideonew]

[/fbvideonew]

I find it unlikely, but I have to ask, is Wonderland Park in Amarillo, Texas actually open right now? Their website has no mention of the pandemic and their calendar shows them open weekends (opening day was April 4).

Judging from their social media they are not open.

Thanks, I'm surprised they didn't bother to update their site like most other parks.

Some of the smaller parks have done a less than stellar job of posting updates on their web pages. For example, Galveston Pleasure Pier's main site currently states that they are temporarily closed through March 26th

It could be that the people in charge of updating the sites for the smaller parks have been "laid off" until the parks get close to re-opening. . . and for those employees left... Updating the website has "fallen through the cracks" of things that need to be done.

So some beaches were opened on Florida's coast today ..... how'd that work out?

Assuming this image:

?url=https%3A%2F%2Fewscripps.brightspotcdn.com%2Fb5%2F96%2Ffe779ad84b30935bc48fb4327429%2Fwptv-jacksonville-beach.jpg

In the news article from today, is an image from today... Yeah... Just... Yeah... Looks like no one really cares if they get sick, or become an asymptomatic carrier and kill off their elderly relatives. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

^ probably not today, they said umbrellas, coolers, chairs and towels are verboten

Ah, thanks! I figured it wasn't from today given that the media LOVES to use OLD images as "current" images.

This might be a more accurate one then... Given none of the forbidden items are in shot. (From another news source.)

fa6ae1505e9aade20be5b2ab9227e226.png&quality=70&width=720

^ probably not today, they said umbrellas, coolers, chairs and towels are verboten

Ah, thanks! I figured it wasn't from today given that the media LOVES to use OLD images as "current" images.

This might be a more accurate one then... Given none of the forbidden items are in shot. (From another news source.)

fa6ae1505e9aade20be5b2ab9227e226.png&quality=70&width=720

Yeah thats today or last night, seen that pic in a few spots.

On a related note, Myrtle Beach will be opening their beaches next week. Might be a good sign for Carowinds.