TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

COVID-19 Coronavirus and Theme Parks Official Thread

Eh. What a weird time. So now once the word gets around students can do nothing and still pass it will give them even more of a reason not to care. Word has already gotten around that people are not being taken to jail for anything less than crimes such as inflicting great bodily harm or discharging a firearm. Now they can also say "ffck school," along with the fun variations we're already being told of, "Ffck yall! You can't take me to jail!"

On that note, we are not pulling people over and asking where they're going or where they're coming from. We do everything we can to avoid any contact with anyone on behalf of safety reasons for the public and ourselves. There's nothing we can do, regardless. No enforcement action is available. It's a common misconception in our area that police are pulling people over and making contacts randomly to make sure they're in compliance.

We get pointless calls for service to check on large gatherings, but there's almost nothing we can do about it. We ask people to break it up. Half the time they tell us to ffck off. We leave. If the party is large enough to articulate mass public danger, we can summons people to court at a later time on a 'reckless conduct' charge. When they're drunk and high it's still not enough for them to stop without immediate consequences. Don't believe any rumors that this is a 'police state.' We can't do sh*t, so we just try our best not to get contaminated.

It's whatever. I don't have the right answer for these issues.

Lucky you, and me I guess. My agency isn't doing any of the enforcement on social distancing (by nature of our job) either.

The City in which my jurisdiction lies passed an "emergency ordinance" prohibiting gatherings of more than 10, even on private property, which carries a substantial fine, and their department has been enforcing it. The Governor has authorized all law enforcement in the state to stop cars with out-of-state tags but no other reason to determine their business. Our State Police has been camped out at shopping centers near the borders with Pennsylvania ID'ing "foreigners" trying to buy alcohol (PA closed all of their stores) and sending them back.

Edited by Mike240SX

Let's avoid this thread becoming a political commentary/debate thread please.

Agreed, my apologies. Opinion has been edited from my post.

Ha, Andrew I'm sure our PBIS team would love to have CP as a reward! On the other hand a lot of my students have never even been to SFSTl which the 8th graders get as an end of year reward if they qualify.

As far as students knowing they don't have to do anything else to pass. Yes, but remember they had to be passing to begin with. Also, of the approximately 9 weeks we would have had left around here, easily 3-4 weeks of that would have been state testing and/or finals. The truth is guys that for the most part the students that want to do well and improve will and the ones that don't care won't. Whether they are physically in school or not is somewhat inconsequential. Yes, learning from a teacher is best but at this point in the year finishing online isn't the end of the world.

The unfortunate thing is how many students out there do not have a family that push/help them in a productive way and I do worry about my many students now trapped in homes with abusive and drug addicted family members. Not getting political, just putting things into perspective.

Looks like all the Cedar Fair parks have announced 2020 season passes will be good through the 2021 season.

That's good news. This from from the FAQ on the Carowinds site answered my most pressing question (that had not been addressed in previous updates):

2020 Platinum Passes will be valid at all Cedar Fair parks through the 2021 Season.

Ha, Andrew I'm sure our PBIS team would love to have CP as a reward! On the other hand a lot of my students have never even been to SFSTl which the 8th graders get as an end of year reward if they qualify.

As far as students knowing they don't have to do anything else to pass. Yes, but remember they had to be passing to begin with. Also, of the approximately 9 weeks we would have had left around here, easily 3-4 weeks of that would have been state testing and/or finals. The truth is guys that for the most part the students that want to do well and improve will and the ones that don't care won't. Whether they are physically in school or not is somewhat inconsequential. Yes, learning from a teacher is best but at this point in the year finishing online isn't the end of the world.

The unfortunate thing is how many students out there do not have a family that push/help them in a productive way and I do worry about my many students now trapped in homes with abusive and drug addicted family members. Not getting political, just putting things into perspective.

We just started a new card marking so everyone is passing. I teach in a very low socioeconomic area so the big thing for us right now is finding out who actually has and doesn’t have a computer and/or internet access. So some kids might want to learn but don’t have the means at the moment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks like all the Cedar Fair parks have announced 2020 season passes will be good through the 2021 season.

That's good news. This from from the FAQ on the Carowinds site answered my most pressing question (that had not been addressed in previous updates):

2020 Platinum Passes will be valid at all Cedar Fair parks through the 2021 Season.

I'm really glad to hear that as we bought Platinum passes for the first time last fall and hadn't even gotten to use them yet. Thought maybe Kharma was out to get me. On the other hand I wonder if that is in anticipation of many of the parks maybe not being able to open until later in the summer.

^ Your second thought was my first thought when I heard this announcement. I'm wondering if they know this will either be a very short or limited season.

At this point it's quite clear that COVID isn't going away anytime soon.

Not quite all the parks!

I'm sure they will announce something soon, I just thought it was funny. Maybe we will get a super awesome bonus that all you cedar point peeps won't get :-P

97f4106a5d1d0a1234a26c8843558326.jpg

Their COVID-19 statement is still from March 20th; they haven't updated their website today like many of the other parks did. Give it time.

The California Governor's speech today wasn't optimistic about large-scale gatherings in California even if the economy starts to re-open soon. I don't know what that means for amusement parks that can't show that they have a social distancing plan in place. I wonder how long the lines would be at amusement parks if everyone had to stand 6' apart like in our lines at stores?

Section from article:

https://ktla.com/news/california/gov-newsom-to-reveal-details-of-plan-to-lift-californias-stay-at-home-order/

"Officials cautioned that even once restrictions are loosened, things won’t be as they were before the pandemic.

Restaurants will probably have fewer tables, temperatures checks may become the norm at establishments, and protective face coverings will likely remain common in public. We’ll see more teleworking and distance learning, the governor said.

And when schools start back up again in the fall, arrival times could be staggered and classrooms reconfigured to enforce social distancing among students, teachers and staff.

“This is not about going back to where we were before. It’s about going forward in ways that are healthy for all of us,” said Dr. Sonia Angell, director of the California Department of Public Health. “But it won’t look the same.”

People also shouldn’t expect to participate in large gatherings like sporting events or concerts in the near future, according to Newsom.

“The prospect of mass gatherings is negligible at best until we get to herd immunity and we get to a vaccine,” he said.

Experts have previously indicated a vaccine is at least 12 to 18 months away."

Just posted. An Ontario Krispy Kreme franchise, showing

a queue of cars. Patiently waiting for their doughnut fix.

DonutsQueue.png.38ac60778a8c8ca53c83a2e33e42c7ba.png

Round and round they go. Where they stop - DONUTS!

^ Your second thought was my first thought when I heard this announcement. I'm wondering if they know this will either be a very short or limited season.

Of course park chains would be delusional to not at least consider that 2020 won't happen at all. This is CF covering their ass for all of 2020. I'm sure SF and the other chains will follow. Hershey announced the same but through June of 2021, which I'm sure will be extended as this continues.

1232763198_Screenshot_2020-04-15Hersheypark-Home.png.a173d203cb67cf485e67c181dd8182a4.png

^A few weeks ago I would have called you crazy, but you may be right.

I was planning to go to Cedar Point and Kings Island for my 21st birthday in July, but I think I should really just law low this summer and save up money for an even bigger trip next summer after I graduate college. I think it's risky to plan anything this summer. I would honestly be surprised if Holiwood Nights even happens on those August dates. It was a good move by Cedar Fair to extend everything into 2021, and hopefully others will follow.

I really, really hope I am wrong. There are so many awesome 2020 coasters waiting to open. But we ought to at least consider an extremely delayed or even nonexistent season...

It looks like Cedar Fair parks aren't planning on opening before July 1st. I looked at Fast Lane for Cedar Point, Kings Island, Carowinds, Kings Dominon and Dorney and that is the first day that Fast Lane is available for purchase. As of a day or two ago, Dorney was selling Fast Lane starting May 15th (I was frequently checking to get an idea of when they are thinking they might open).

I am beginning to doubt that we will see a 2020 season anywhere.

It would require a vaccine, lots of treatments or at the least, lots of testing for the disease and for antibodies (for those who've had it, assuming they are immune). Large gatherings will probably be last to resume.

I think Cedar Fair (your 2020 pass is good for 2021, too) is more realistic than Six Flags (you get a few extra months on your 2020 pass). Or maybe Six Flags is still in the "bargaining" phase and hasn't gotten to "acceptance."

Lots of variables could change these assumptions in either direction, but the entertainment industry isn't likely to reopen until everything else does.

https://www.cnn.com/videos/politics/2020/04/15/los-angeles-mayor-garcetti-large-gatherings-vpx.cnn

Los Angeles mayor says large gatherings unlikely until 2021

Los Angeles Mayor Eric Garcetti said it "would be very difficult to see" large gatherings like sporting events or concerts resuming in the city before 2021 as the US grapples with the coronavirus pandemic.

It looks like Cedar Fair parks aren't planning on opening before July 1st. I looked at Fast Lane for Cedar Point, Kings Island, Carowinds, Kings Dominon and Dorney and that is the first day that Fast Lane is available for purchase.

While I do agree that the parks will reopen later rather than sooner, there's also the possibility that they will open earlier and are not expecting enough attendance to justify the additional staffing for Fast Lane.