TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

COVID-19 Coronavirus and Theme Parks Official Thread

Yeah, with predictions in a lot of places now running into July-August, I can see places that are pretty much just Memorial Day to Labor Day calling the whole season a loss. Plenty of parks, though, even seasonal ones, now run into December, so plenty of opportunity there to draw guests back to the parks in 2020.

Legoland New York is a brand new park though, it's in a little different situation than the seasonal parks that have been around but are just delaying this season's opening day.

True.

However, if parks are not able to open/re-open till late May/Early-mid June... Will they have time to get staff hired (if they haven’t already hired) get the staff trained, get the rides past state inspection, and actually get the park up and running in enough time to make opening “worth” (for lack of better term) it?

I’m mainly thinking of mostly heavily summer seasonal parks IE: Cedar Point.

From what I have seen in the various different orders among states and counties, essential maintenance on machinery (such as rides) is still allowed to take place.

Parks will open as quickly as they can to recover any cashflow since they can't shed all their fixed costs.

And training happens pretty quick in established parks. My son didn't turn 16 until after SFSTL opened for the season last year and after initial "classes" which they have already done for this year, he was trained for each ride in an hour or two before park opening for the day. The leads and trainers have been there for numerous seasons and ride maintenance and inspections can still be going on while maintaining social distancing. Besides so many parks make a ton of money on the Halloween events that I don't see them calling the whole year a wash even if they cannot open until sometime in the summer. Although I am still hoping like heck for some May openings. Even by Memorial Day would be nice.

I don't think staffing will be an issue either with lots of people temporarily out of work.

yeah.. new estimates are that Texas will peak May 5. . so still over 4 weeks away.

I think the Texas parks will be lucky if they are able to open back up in June.

Didn't say it was realistic, said I was hoping...... And the peak may not come until May or it may come earlier or it may come later. I'm not sure anyone, even the experts can predict with accuracy. Afterall if it's unprecedented then there is no past experience to truly base it on. OK, I'm done whining for the night. Sigh.

At least the sun has been out the last several days and the trees are budding. It's something. Again, sigh.

yeah.. new estimates are that Texas will peak May 5. . so still over 4 weeks away.

The key with all these things is that they are ESTIMATES. There are a ton of variables. The target dates for anything are all moving at this point. We could be lucky and at least have it manageable by the end of April when the CDC guidelines end, or it could still be bad. We just don't know at this point.

The key with all these things is that they are ESTIMATES. There are a ton of variables. The target dates for anything are all moving at this point. We could be lucky and at least have it manageable by the end of April when the CDC guidelines end, or it could still be bad. We just don't know at this point.

It seems likely, paying attention to the epidemiologists and virologists, that the "end of April" is an initial way to say "until summer" just like saying "15 days" was an initial way to get people used to what is needed.

This interview with a world class coronavirus expert (who ironically caught it in New York and is in slow recovery) suggests that it will be about six weeks to get past the peak, if Dr. Fauci's recommendations are followed. So early May, if all goes well, with a subsidence afterwards. Of course, all of these are estimates, but based on what happened in Wuhan, Italy, Spain and now New York.

https://www.microbe.tv/twiv/twiv-special-lipkin/

Not exactly an interview normally relevant to TPR ... but it's the most informative interview I've heard about CV and useful for considering if coasters may be rideable this year.

---

sorry I forget which news link this is from, but it suggests what the time scale will be

Virginia governor issues stay-at-home order

Virginia residents will live under a stay-at-home order until mid-June as the region around Washington DC moved towards a lockdown on Monday.

Ralph Northam, the Democratic governor of Virginia, ordered the state's residents to stay at home "except in extremely limited circumstances" until June 10. Other states have generally issued orders that are scheduled to end in April.

The order on Monday followed a similar announcement by Larry Hogan, the Republican governor of Maryland. Both states border Washington DC and are home to many US federal workers who live in the Virginia and Maryland suburbs that surround the capital.

Legoland New York is a brand new park though, it's in a little different situation than the seasonal parks that have been around but are just delaying this season's opening day.

True.

However, if parks are not able to open/re-open till late May/Early-mid June... Will they have time to get staff hired (if they haven’t already hired) get the staff trained, get the rides past state inspection, and actually get the park up and running in enough time to make opening “worth” (for lack of better term) it?

I’m mainly thinking of mostly heavily summer seasonal parks IE: Cedar Point.

LEgoland wasn't planning to open until July 4th and from what I've heard they were going to need all that time for construction. This has likely made it where July 4th is likely impossible and I guess they figured especially in NY if they can't open until August/Sep probably best to push it a year.

Yeah the numbers they are presenting in Trump's briefing are assuming stay at home until end of May and even those numbers are not "good". Easing restrictions end of April just isn't likely.

^ Why are you listening to the "briefing"? Those are 110% lies, with the remainder numbers he pulled out of his ass. Go find a reliable source.

They were quoting reliable numbers from the IHME unless you think the IHME numbers are lies.

Gee, I wonder who you're voting for in November? There's no need to drag your political divisiveness into this discussion.

IHME is a good source. I've been looking at their numbers as well. You can go straight to the source. You don't need to have an interpreter who's told 12,000 lies in 3 years.

It was simply where I saw/heard the numbers and it was Dr. Fauchi who was going over them.

My point was those models are all based on stay at home until May 30th so I'll be surprised if we let up before then.

^^ Oh yeah, I forgot that facts are politically divisive these days.

^ I mostly agree with you really, but seriously, do the research on your own. There's a good reason a lot of networks are refusing to carry those "briefings"--the mix of facts and misinformation is causing confusion. Something that unreliable is best avoided.

^^ Oh yeah, I forgot that facts are politically divisive these days.

^ I mostly agree with you really, but seriously, do the research on your own. There's a good reason a lot of networks are refusing to carry those "briefings"--the mix of facts and misinformation is causing confusion. Something that unreliable is best avoided.

Fact are still facts regardless of where they come from.

Yeah the numbers they are presenting in Trump's briefing are assuming stay at home until end of May and even those numbers are not "good". Easing restrictions end of April just isn't likely.

All the numbers being presented are models based on variables that they input. Since we know so little about the virus, its antibodies, who actually has it or already had it...I'd say things are very much subject to change for better or for worse. I'm not an expert, so I won't even try to make sense of any of the data.

I think the only thing safe to assume is that parks will continue to follow CDC guidelines. We will see if they revise again...