TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

COVID-19 Coronavirus and Theme Parks Official Thread

I hope Chloroquine works out as a treatment and I hope even more that we can find a vaccine soon. I'm not hitting the panic button yet, but from a selfish economic standpoint this is very unsettling. Luckily, we're set up to make it through on one income if need be, but what a time to have a baby due in May!

I usually don't cope with alcohol. But tonight, before I have to work all weekend, I'm having a few drinks.

Thank you for your service. You guys are among the unsung heroes dealing with all of this.

They just shut down California except for some food and medical services. I guess we just found out what an off-season is and know we will find out what a big giant snow day, week, month, etc... is. I guess we can walk to the park for exercise but the children can't play on the swings. Anyway, I would order a giant moose to let everyone know but we all know that Amazon stopped selling non-essential stuff.

https://ktla.com/news/california/gov-newsom-issues-statewide-order-for-people-to-stay-at-home-amid-virus-outbreak/

"California Gov. Gavin Newsom on Thursday ordered the state’s 40 million residents to stay at home, restricting non-essential movements to control the spread of the coronavirus that threatens to overwhelm the state’s medical system.

“This is a moment we need to make tough decisions,” Newsom said. “We need to recognize reality.”

His move came after counties and communities covering about half the state’s population already had issued similar orders. He said the restriction is “open-ended,” and it could raise false hopes if he predicted how long the order might last.

People may still leave their homes for walks and exercise and for essential needs such as food and medical care. Restaurant meals can still be delivered to homes.

The Democratic governor also announced that he is mobilizing 500 California National Guard troops to help with food distribution, but said they will be in place only for humanitarian reasons.

“I don’t believe the people of California need to be told through law enforcement that it’s appropriate just to home isolate,” he said.

..."

punch.jpg.1dafa05854fc4bc0cdee13f2cd1a97e7.jpg

Moose punching enthusiast

Guys I think we finally have some good news: https://www.businessinsider.com/malaria-pill-chloroquine-tested-as-coronavirus-treatment-2020-3

Chloroquine is cheap, available, has limited side effects, and is already approved by the FDA. If more tests show good news the shut down and mass panic can hopefully end in month.

Let's hope so! Additionally we could have one more 'weapon' soon: warm weather. If this COVID19 responds the same way as seasonal flu, this could help flatten the curve sooner. Australia has cases, but not nearly as rampant. Summer just ended there.

There has been discussion about warm weather by the medical community studying this. It's an unknown. Some of the tropical countries with this, ie. Singapore, have an air conditioning culture. Thailand supposedly does not have many cases but I've also read they have a large number of unspecific "viral pneumonia" (aka CV). And even if it does subside in summer there could be renewed cases in the fall. Chloroquine and / or other antivirals may be the quickest resolution. Or not.

California's action for statewide shutdown is astonishing. If / when there is a national shutdown, even more so.

One of our adaptations as a species is our ability to cooperate, share food, empathy, and this is a test of that.

Guys I think we finally have some good news: https://www.businessinsider.com/malaria-pill-chloroquine-tested-as-coronavirus-treatment-2020-3

Chloroquine is cheap, available, has limited side effects, and is already approved by the FDA. If more tests show good news the shut down and mass panic can hopefully end in month.

Let's hope so! Additionally we could have one more 'weapon' soon: warm weather. If this COVID19 responds the same way as seasonal flu, this could help flatten the curve sooner. Australia has cases, but not nearly as rampant. Summer just ended there.

There has been discussion about warm weather by the medical community studying this. It's an unknown. Some of the tropical countries with this, ie. Singapore, have an air conditioning culture. Thailand supposedly does not have many cases but I've also read they have a large number of unspecific "viral pneumonia" (aka CV). And even if it does subside in summer there could be renewed cases in the fall. Chloroquine and / or other antivirals may be the quickest resolution. Or not.

California's action for statewide shutdown is astonishing. If / when there is a national shutdown, even more so.

One of our adaptations as a species is our ability to cooperate, share food, empathy, and this is a test of that.

Florida has a large amount of cases too.

People in Florida get the flu too because a lot of people who have it travel there and come into close contact with others, that doesn't mean that warm weather across the country won't be beneficial by reducing the amount of time that it lives on surfaces or while it's airborne. It doesn't mean that it will, but it doesn't mean that it won't either. We'll have to wait and see. The experts still don't know, I'm pretty sure a theme park forum won't know either.

Edited by coasterbill

Its been quite a while since I've posted on here. I've read through this whole thread, but I may just have missed it... or maybe I'm just illiterate. Anyway, this pandemic is obviously nothing to take lightly, ad I feel most people are trying their best so we can get past this mess, but I feel these closures are going to be much longer than most realize. Things are going to get worse before better. Lets just say it take another month for new cases, then another month for it to level off and then decrease, then another month for there to be no known cases anywhere, then another month of a "just to make sure: period.... THAT'S 4 MONTHS!!!! So best case scenario could be July. I hate thinking that way, but I'm just being a realist... hell, it could go on all year

On another note, that could be brutal for many parks' futures.... smaller parks may go out of business, the next 2 or 3 years, additions to parks may be smaller or none at all. In the long run, this is going to take a major toll for the next couple of years on the amusement industry... hell, ALL industries. And the longer it takes to get back to normal, the more of a toll its going to have.

There's no way of knowing how long this will last. Shanghai parks are already slowly reopening. There could also be a treatment (not a vaccine in that timeframe but a treatment that dramatically reduces the death rate to a flu-like level is the next best thing), warm weather could or could not help, we could learn more about the disease that could cause us to adjust our course of action, there are just so many variables and so many things that could change that I feel like predicting a timeline is pretty tough here.

Thats just it, we dont know. It could go another month, it could take a year... the numbers or time frame I stated were just an example. I was trying to get at what kind of ramifications this could have on the industry for years to come

Its been quite a while since I've posted on here. I've read through this whole thread, but I may just have missed it... or maybe I'm just illiterate. Anyway, this pandemic is obviously nothing to take lightly, ad I feel most people are trying their best so we can get past this mess, but I feel these closures are going to be much longer than most realize. Things are going to get worse before better. Lets just say it take another month for new cases, then another month for it to level off and then decrease, then another month for there to be no known cases anywhere, then another month of a "just to make sure: period.... THAT'S 4 MONTHS!!!! So best case scenario could be July. I hate thinking that way, but I'm just being a realist... hell, it could go on all year

On another note, that could be brutal for many parks' futures.... smaller parks may go out of business, the next 2 or 3 years, additions to parks may be smaller or none at all. In the long run, this is going to take a major toll for the next couple of years on the amusement industry... hell, ALL industries. And the longer it takes to get back to normal, the more of a toll its going to have.

The current response does not necessarily have to go into affect until the virus has disappeared entirely. That may never even happen anyway. As mentioned earlier in the thread, this is about "flattening the curve" and giving healthcare time to deal with the situation. Hospitals and healthcare professionals can not currently deal with a huge surge of patients. The goal is to slow it down while healthcare finds ways to deal with the virus, and builds up resources. We don't know how long it will have to be, but again, it's not "until the virus is gone."

It is still going to get worse before it gets better. I work in healthcare and a coworker was just on a call with the governor of Massachusetts. Official announcement is coming at 4 today but it sounds like all New England states are going to be on complete lockdown after this afternoon; essential businesses only allowed to open, shelter in place, etc. We just have to hope that such a drastic response means it can be over sooner...

Personally I've had to cancel a convention and park trip for May; another for end of June is looking very iffy right now and I'm starting to feel resigned to losing that too. If this stretches further and I don't get to Knoebels in August/September, though...well, I suppose by that point things will be bad enough that not getting on Phoenix will be the least of my worries.

...No, Phoenix is still a priority.

this made me so happy this morning, so sharing.

this family had to cancel their Disney Trip (wonder why?). . . and so did this:

[fbvideonew]

[/fbvideonew]

it's wonderful, and I smiled the whole way thru.

multiple news sites are picking it up, here's one, if you want to read more about it:

https://www.clickorlando.com/news/local/2020/03/19/with-theme-parks-closed-due-to-coronavirus-texas-family-creates-a-little-disney-magic/

Official announcement is coming at 4 today but it sounds like all New England states are going to be on complete lockdown after this afternoon; essential businesses only allowed to open, shelter in place, etc. We just have to hope that such a drastic response means it can be over sooner...

RI Gov Raimondo just made her own address and mentioned none of this, so I don't know if the earlier announcement actually will affect all states or he was just assuming. At least MA though. Of course, it's not 4 yet, so...

It is still going to get worse before it gets better. I work in healthcare and a coworker was just on a call with the governor of Massachusetts. Official announcement is coming at 4 today but it sounds like all New England states are going to be on complete lockdown after this afternoon; essential businesses only allowed to open, shelter in place, etc. We just have to hope that such a drastic response means it can be over sooner...

The governor of Massachusetts specifically said in this afternoon's press conference (at 5:02 in

):

I'd like to dispel, once again, recent rumors about a Shelter in Place order. Massachusetts is not planning any forced Shelter in Place order. Everyone needs to get their news from legitimate sources.

That said, the Mayor of Boston is planning to speak at 4pm today, so it's possible that Boston could go into lockdown. EDIT: Nope.

Edited by ahecht

So for a bit of good news, Legoland Japan announced today that they would re-open on Monday March 23 after being closed since February 28th. Here's a little video of their Dragon roller coaster & Minland. Is this the first full "theme park" to re-open so far?

"It's a closed world, after all..."

"Nothing can stop us now.

I'll tell ya how

We're gonna make it happen..."

p.s. In just under six hours, the U.S.-Canada Border closes.

IMG_2050.JPG.a1dbededffd272b6059e195d7e595cf8.JPG

Our Stella, self-isolating herself outdoors. (o;