TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

COVID-19 Coronavirus and Theme Parks Official Thread

My mom and I went to Walmart yesterday and it looked like all the others I've seen pictures of. Empty shelves everywhere in the grocery area. Also out of soap/pet food/TP/cleaning supplies/etc.

Before journey up to Walmart, though, we stopped by the bank which is in the town over from us and then decided to eat lunch at the Chinese place there in town. We were the only ones who stayed to dine-in, and we were worried not seeing any cars there at the time that they're usually full, but while eating, we saw and heard a lot of takeout orders being filled/picked up, so I'm glad their business is still doing well.

It's kinda weird still how our routine still hasn't changed really. Yet at the same time, seeing all our friends and family talking about preparing to be stuck at home and stuff, it's rubbed off on us and so we both grabbed some stuff at Walmart for us to play with while at home. Got Frozen II on DVD as well as the Frozen II Monopoly. I grabbed a couple new Barbies and accessory sets. I was gonna get a Lego set to build, but I feel like I got more for $40 getting 3 Barbie dolls and 3 accessory sets compared to $40 for a 300-some piece Lego set. 300-pieces sets are... well, they're like having a 300-piece puzzle - doesn't take very long to build so you don't get into that nice calming groove that you can get into with the bigger sets.

My dad has thankfully taken all this seriously and has prepped his household for isolation. Him, my aunt, and my grandma are all high-risk (especially Grandma, who already has a "6-12 months to live" prognosis because of her stage 4 breast cancer that spread to her organs).... So I'm glad they're able to basically "shelter in place." I do hope I'll be able to visit my grandma at least one more time before she passes... I just don't know when we'll be able to start visiting family again because of all this.

Silly me. I bought a season pass and parking pass to Lagoon for Black Friday. I also bought a season pass, parking pass, and season tube for Splash Summit earlier in the month. Definitely did not predict anything like this happening. Ah, for those innocent days when I thought COVID-19 was going to die out just like Zika did.

With Utah’s parks only open seasonally, I just hope we won’t miss the entire 2020 season. This whole fiasco has thrown a wrench into things to say the least.

I bought a season pass and parking pass as well. It is very possible (and probably likely) that their opening date of March 28th will be pushed back, but I think the chances of a 2020 season not happening are extremely, extremely low.

But then again, 2020 has been testing us. Just woke up to the 5.7 Utah earthquake this morning which was unexpected for me, even as a Californian who has grown up with earthquakes. What a weird few weeks it has been.

I hope you’re right. I will definitely be there whenever they do open.

Yeah that earthquake was a wake-up call for sure. I’m also from California and haven’t felt one in a long time. My momentum has definitely been thrown off these past few weeks.

And of course, following New York's Broadway (and other venues) shut downs, tours are being cancelled as well.

Our night seeing "Finding Neverland" in April (8th) is gone, now. And Broadway Across ________,

is trying to figure out a cancellation plan to follow. i.e. refunds, credit towards future shows, etc.

Guys I think we finally have some good news: https://www.businessinsider.com/malaria-pill-chloroquine-tested-as-coronavirus-treatment-2020-3

Chloroquine is cheap, available, has limited side effects, and is already approved by the FDA. If more tests show good news the shut down and mass panic can hopefully end in month.

That's still a month worth of dealing with all this crap we are currently dealing with.

Guys I think we finally have some good news: https://www.businessinsider.com/malaria-pill-chloroquine-tested-as-coronavirus-treatment-2020-3

Chloroquine is cheap, available, has limited side effects, and is already approved by the FDA. If more tests show good news the shut down and mass panic can hopefully end in month.

Can someone smarter than me explain as to why a malaria pill would even do anything? The two diseases have some wildly different symptoms. Or are we at the "nothing else has worked, let's pull a pill out of a hat and try it" phase?

Can someone smarter than me explain as to why a malaria pill would even do anything? The two diseases have some wildly different symptoms. Or are we at the "nothing else has worked, let's pull a pill out of a hat and try it" phase?

Chloroquine phosphate has shown apparent efficacy in treatment of

COVID-19 associated pneumonia in clinical studies. - PubMed - NCBI

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/32074550/ [1]

The article 3Mutts linked to explained it. The malaria pill worked on SARS back in 2003, and Covid-19 is very similar to SARS, so it was a good candidate.

Granted the source may be a little biased, but...

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-03-19/trump-touts-malaria-drug-as-potential-coronavirus-treatment

It's not FDA approved, but US doctors are legally allowed to prescribe it for treatment of COVID-19. I'm not on the Trump hater bandwagon, but he really sucks at jumping the gun with his statements. Either way, it looks like the drug is mostly good to go for now, at least as an optimistic temporary treatment until a vaccine or better treatment option is discovered.

IL is shutting down. I think an allout quarantine is in the works, which is the rumor. I had to squeeze in a haircut today, because my barber shop said they're waiting on word to temporarily close. Also, even our neighbors in MO are feeling the pressure. My orthopedic doctor across the river (STL) called me today and gave me great news that not only is my appointment for my rotator cuff tear on Monday cancelled, but they said to call them in ten weeks. Holy fffk terrible news for me! If surgery is necessary that will mean I'll probably be hampered by this for over year since my initial November injury.

I stopped by Walmart and it was even more of a shitshow than I thought it would be. Almost all of the usual canned vegetables are gone, with I'd guess 75% of all canned good eats being gone. I grabbed one of three ramaining hamburger packages. I'd say 75% of other chicken, beef, and pork products were gone. The cheese was cleared TF out. No eggs were to be found. 90% of the frozen foods were gone. Diapers were almost gone. They miraculously had about 20 packs of toilet paper remaining that people were jumping on. There were zero disinfectant or sanitizer products available. Laundry detergent was almost bare. Not that I eat it, but it seems like Mac and Cheese is the new toilet paper, as it's almost impossible to buy now. People were noting it on my Snapchat and I had to see for myself! The good news is that all fresh produce is available, which leads me to believe that people are buying emergency items that they can freeze or easily store.

I also bought several hundred shares of Cedar Fair (FUN) and Sea World (SEAS) on Wednesday when prices were damned good. It was a safe buy that will profit before too long, but I'll be damned if the prices didn't eat shit and fall of the charts later that day.

I hope Chloroquine works out as a treatment and I hope even more that we can find a vaccine soon. I'm not hitting the panic button yet, but from a selfish economic standpoint this is very unsettling. Luckily, we're set up to make it through on one income if need be, but what a time to have a baby due in May!

I usually don't cope with alcohol. But tonight, before I have to work all weekend, I'm having a few drinks.

I too snuck in a haircut earlier this week, anticipating a closure.

That sucks about the injury. On the plus side, hopefully you've got a bunch of sick time saved up in case it takes you out of work, and then you get the bonus of not being exposed.

Granted the source may be a little biased, but...

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-03-19/trump-touts-malaria-drug-as-potential-coronavirus-treatment

It's not FDA approved, but US doctors are legally allowed to prescribe it for treatment of COVID-19. I'm not on the Trump hater bandwagon, but he really sucks at jumping the gun with his statements. Either way, it looks like the drug is mostly good to go for now, at least as an optimistic temporary treatment until a vaccine or better treatment option is discovered.

IL is shutting down. I think an allout quarantine is in the works, which is the rumor. I had to squeeze in a haircut today, because my barber shop said they're waiting on word to temporarily close. Also, even our neighbors in MO are feeling the pressure. My orthopedic doctor across the river (STL) called me today and gave me great news that not only is my appointment for my rotator cuff tear on Monday cancelled, but they said to call them in ten weeks. Holy fffk terrible news for me! If surgery is necessary that will mean I'll probably be hampered by this for over year since my initial November injury.

I stopped by Walmart and it was even more of a shitshow than I thought it would be. Almost all of the usual canned vegetables are gone, with I'd guess 75% of all canned good eats being gone. I grabbed one of three ramaining hamburger packages. I'd say 75% of other chicken, beef, and pork products were gone. The cheese was cleared TF out. No eggs were to be found. 90% of the frozen foods were gone. Diapers were almost gone. They miraculously had about 20 packs of toilet paper remaining that people were jumping on. There were zero disinfectant or sanitizer products available. Laundry detergent was almost bare. Not that I eat it, but it seems like Mac and Cheese is the new toilet paper, as it's almost impossible to buy now. People were noting it on my Snapchat and I had to see for myself! The good news is that all fresh produce is available, which leads me to believe that people are buying emergency items that they can freeze or easily store.

I also bought several hundred shares of Cedar Fair (FUN) and Sea World (SEAS) on Wednesday when prices were damned good. It was a safe buy that will profit before too long, but I'll be damned if the prices didn't eat shit and fall of the charts later that day.

I hope Chloroquine works out as a treatment and I hope even more that we can find a vaccine soon. I'm not hitting the panic button yet, but from a selfish economic standpoint this is very unsettling. Luckily, we're set up to make it through on one income if need be, but what a time to have a baby due in May!

I usually don't cope with alcohol. But tonight, before I have to work all weekend, I'm having a few drinks.

Sorry again to hear of your medical situation. Ouch. In my state, virtually everything medical - and especially dental - is being shut down in anticipation. My local hospital just had its first CV death.

Suggestion on cleaners. There's no need for fancy sanitizers - regular soap works fine to ruin the virus (and clean you and your stuff). In my community, mallwart and costco have been besieged but the health food stores have been in better shape. Maybe they have a better national distribution system, or maybe customers are more used to making meals from scratch? Bidets may become popular to reduce toilet paper use (like in Japan).

I don't have stock in FUN, etc. but do have a 2020 season pass for Great America (CA), because of Railblazer. Hope to be able to use it, not for my own enjoyment but it would show things have settled down enough. Chloroquine, remdesivir and the rest of the anti-virals are what I'm hoping for. Chloroquine is common and cheap but getting enough doses everywhere, assuming that is really as effective as thought, is going to take more complex logistics than realizing promises of drive through testing.

We are living in "interesting times."

I'm across the river from Zach in the western STL burbs. I've been to two different grocery stores in 24 hours to get everything I wanted. Now I say want, not need because not every item I bought was an absolute necessity, no I wasn't hoarding, just getting specific food items to make certain recipes. So, we aren't quite as bad as what he described but it did take some effort. Both grocery stores were rationing milk and meat. Also, both were very low on fresh meat and of course out of tp and cleaning stuff. One of the stores was completely out of bread while the other had plenty. One out of carrots, one out of bananas......just weird stuff like that. There was still plenty of cheese, eggs, frozen stuff in both, supplies of those items were lower than normal but still plenty to be had.

The two stores are about 4 miles apart.

Now keep in mind that Zach and I are somewhere in the neighborhood of 40 miles apart on opposite sides of the Mississippi. But that is a pretty big difference in conditions for what are essentially two suburbs of the same metro area. I am about 20 miles southwest of that big Arch, and he's about 20 miles northeast.

I think how this is remembered will vary immensely depending on where you are in the USA since it is such a vast country. And I wonder how much that will affect opening dates for the parks. Some areas might be able to open in a month, some might be a lot longer.

Cirque du Soleil has just shut down all of it's 44 (44!) productions around the world.

And laid off 95% of their employees.

My school laid me off. They see the school closure just keep getting extended and it’s easier to close down and restart elsewhere than having to keep paying workers. Even if reopened they want to reduce hours and pay to make back their money and it wouldn’t be worth it because it would affect my severance badly.

Don’t feel too bad for me. I am a hope for the best prepare for the worst type so I have unemployment insurance and there are other schools hiring. I’m just being picky for a bit to make sure I end up somewhere I enjoy instead of taking the first one out of desperation. And Korea has a nice law that you get a months pay for every year (based on an average of your last 3 months pay hence why I don’t want to stay when they reopen on much reduced pay) you work as severance and I have worked many years with them so at least I can see my family through the worst of this outbreak relatively comfortably so I still consider myself luckier than most.

Let's hope so! Additionally we could have one more 'weapon' soon: warm weather. If this COVID19 responds the same way as seasonal flu, this could help flatten the curve sooner. Australia has cases, but not nearly as rampant. Summer just ended there.