TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

COVID-19 Coronavirus and Theme Parks Official Thread

I snapped this picture at Newark Airport last night. Newark Airport...

I'm calling shenanigans on this one. Newark airport looks like a crowded post-apocalyptic shanty town, not a successful American Dream.

Ariel footage of disney and some other orlando attractions this morning.

UTfDaLh.jpg

FTFY

The US Surgeon General said today elective surgeries should no longer happen in our country to focus medical resources.

What a great time to have a tear in my rotator cuff.

That isn't "elective" (I think). And the hospitals are coping for now. (Maybe not in April, though.)

Best wishes for quick treatment and healing.

Europa Park Resort confirmed closed until 19th April 2020

Due to the dynamic developments regarding Coronavirus, the water world Rulantica as well as Europa-Park will remain closed until presumably 19th April 2020. The Mack family is taking these necessary measures with a heavy heart. However, the safety and health of the visitors and employees have always been the highest priority.

The owner family Mack is in close contact with experts, the authorities and politicians in order to also support the employees and their families.

We will inform you about the latest developments on europapark.com, rulantica.com and our respective social media channels.

Europa-Park is already prepared and ready to open any time: the shows are developed, the attractions are in the starting blocks and the gardens are beautiful as ever. We are looking forward to welcoming our guests as soon as possible.

Austin just joined several other cities, as our Mayor just announced (effective immediately) the closure of all bars/clubs, and Restaurant dining rooms.

thru May 1st.

so yeah, think all the parks hoping to open in April are gonna be postponing further.

Well I'm trying to be positive and hope they are giving dates longer than they think they need, just to be safe, and of course it will be a lot easier and a lot less likely to get you lynched by the peasants if you shorten a closure rather than have to extend it.

On the other hand I was still being positive last Friday at lunch time thinking I could still get the Texas trip in

There has not been an order YET in St Louis to close restaurants although several are already doing it, or going to take out only. However, all restaurants and bars in all of Illinois have been ordered to close.

Playland(PNE) has announced, that the opening dates of Playland have been pushed back

to early June. The park was originally set to open on May 2nd. And the beat goes on...

Playland-PNE01.png.0e3452e40faeb313d634dd7ecd5ed563.png

Edited by Nrthwnd

I'm really hoping on May for theme parks to reopen in Europe but I have little hope now. It's just getting depressive reading day after day that parks are extending their closure.

I really keep a low hope on a 2020 season at all at this point.

David's gone shopping for some recipe ingredients on what we call The Drive. He's also checking to see if the liquor store is still open, how the produce shops are doing, etc. Just to see what's what. And what's not open......because..... yeah, well.

EDIT to add: Liquor store staying open; veggie shops staying open;

local pharmacy having a 1/2 hr aft.period to "clean." And we got a

freezer-ful of stuff, all proteins+non. No worries.

Commercial_Drive_Van_Jun_2008.jpg.bee075a1df92fc34138515ef484b2555.jpg

Commercial Drive, a/k/a The Drive on a No Cars Day. 3500+ there.

We live a couple of blocks away from this shot, taken last June.

Silly me. I bought a season pass and parking pass to Lagoon for Black Friday. I also bought a season pass, parking pass, and season tube for Splash Summit earlier in the month. Definitely did not predict anything like this happening. Ah, for those innocent days when I thought COVID-19 was going to die out just like Zika did.

With Utah’s parks only open seasonally, I just hope we won’t miss the entire 2020 season. This whole fiasco has thrown a wrench into things to say the least.

I bought Cedar Fair passes for the first time. Our original plans made it well worth while, now I'm not so sure. Hopefully, the summer season will be salvaged. Since we had to cancel the Texas trip the next thing on our agenda is Coasterstock in mid May. Guess all we can do now is wait and see. Frustrating.

There has not been an order YET in St Louis to close restaurants although several are already doing it, or going to take out only. However, all restaurants and bars in all of Illinois have been ordered to close.

It's coming. It's funny to think that our IL portion of the STL metro area is completely shut down, but you guys are still living somewhat normal social lives. Tonight and tomorrow are my days off this week. I'm tempted to go out to eat in STL now...

Anymore, I don't like to bring up my career or talk about it. I feel annoying when I do so. But, if anyone is interested in how most of the local law enforcement community is responding, here are some of our changes and directives:

*Proactive activity is completely discouraged, meaning no self-initiated traffic stops, warrant arrests, etc.

*Reports in which would usually be taken in person and on the crime scene are being taken over the phone, unless necessary to respond for evidentiary purposes.

*We make no non-violent/non-combative offender arrests. Court summons only, even on felony charges. Our department is one of the larger and probably busiest departments in the metro-east STL area. We house 40 or so Federal and County overflow inmates. Our main concern is them falling ill. (we care)

*Encourage the public to come outside when having to work calls on scene for disturbances. The risks of contamination go both ways. I don't want to get sick and we especially don't want to make entire families sick by entering homes. (we care)

*We're all discouraged from entering the station, unless necessary.

*We will not enter businesses when conducting 'business checks.' Observations will be from outside of the businesses.

*We will have to softly address any open bars/restaurants which are all supposed to be take-out and delivery only.

*We are encouraged to wear gloves on every call.

*We've been placed on telephone standby at all times, as per IL Law. If someone in a shift falls ill, it's likely that a lot of other people on the shift will also fall ill, since we work so closely together. Almost all departments function on short staffing, especially considering it takes about 7-8 months from your hire date to be sent to the next available academy class, complete the academy, and then complete field training.

*We're encouraged to wash uniforms after every shift. They're normally good to be worn for several days in a row. Boots are encouraged to be left outside, which is a common practice anyway, but my wife still gets irritated that I wear them coming and going from work...

*We don’t respond to nursing homes or senior care facilities unless there’s an active emergency. (we care)

One thing that surprises me is the lack of directives or policy to disinfect cars. Most departments have shared patrol vehicles, meaning that at shift change cars are loaded/unloaded and operating 24 hours a day. Even when they’re maintained and as clean as you get make them, they're disgusting. Over the lifetime of a squad car for a busy department, they'll be contaminated regularly with sweat, urine, feces, vomit, blood, and anything else you can think of. The compartments from the back to the front are not airtight sealed. That, and every piece of evidence or physical contact gets spread throughout the cabin. You can smell it...

There are a lot of people who are less clean than others and this translates into every profession. I'd think there would be mandated disinfecting cleaning protocol, confirmed via supervision, but there's not. I've always been crazy about cleanliness and sanitation, but not everyone takes several minutes at shift change wiping down their car and equipment. It's frequent that you don't have time if you have to jump right into things when you start work. I’m confident that our cars can pose the biggest risk to us.

Things are honestly weird and eerily calm right now. I only responded to a few calls for service yesterday. During day shift, it’s normally non-stop. Weekend night shifts are non-stop with problems are bars, high crime clubs, fight calls, trouble calls, disturbances, and more. I’m really interested to see how that turns out with social venues being closed. I’m on day shift for another couple weeks, but that would be weird to experience that.

Since media outlets constantly unfairly negatively portray us for attention, I’m sure some people have the idea that we're the apocalyptic Nazi's who are keeping everyone inside and locking down the city. But, this is a sharp contrast to reality. No one is patrolling the streets in SWAT gear waiting to punish those who violate social disruption policies. Right now it's all about calm public service response. We’re at an elevated risk along with healthcare professionals. We can’t shutdown our operations, unfortunately. (I can dream) It’s kind of a ‘not if-but when’ scenario of when this crap starts spreading among us. That’s great news with a pregnant wife! Worst timing ever.

But I mean... I'm not saying that there's not a pool for which one of us is going to get sick first...

As for the well wishes on the torn shoulder, I appreciate that. All I know is that I have a 50% tear, so who knows how bad it is and hopefully there will be no surgery, despite physical therapy not working. Crossing my fingers for my orthopedic appointment on Monday, but for now I’m still cautiously working full duty. I haven’t played hockey since November and my active lifestyle is in the crapper. Cardio is on-point, though… I’ve been wearing out the exercise bike we purchased since my injury and our treadmill is hurting! Lol

One last thing. If you can: Buy market shares. Buy them now.

I was planning to be in san antonio mid april for the craft brewers conference which has since been cancelled.

To take advantage of the christmas specials, I signed up for a six flags membership for fiesta texas thinking i would go 2 or 3 times and then drive to dallas and go to sfot before flying home. I figured i would come out ahead with a pass. If i got a chance to go to chicago montreal or darien lake this year it would be a bonus.

It made sense at the time but it looks unlikely i will be able to go, or at least be unwise to. I understand that you need to go to your “home” park the first visit to activate your membership so i may wait for the dust to settle before i see what i can do. I live in toronto so it is not exactly easy to get there.

Having time to think about it i may not try to cancel and keep paying for the membership to support 6 flags. They probably need the money and support right now. I Think of it as a hundred dollar donation towards keeping them afloat. I already have a CF platinum pass.

Rather than be worried about asking for a refund if your park delays opening a month or maybe two, wait it out and go back when they open and even buy stuff to help them stay in business.

It made sense at the time but it looks unlikely i will be able to go, or at least be unwise to. I understand that you need to go to your “home” park the first visit to activate your membership so i may wait for the dust to settle before i see what i can do. I live in toronto so it is not exactly easy to get there.

We contacted customer service and got a voucher for one day at SF Great America when we weren't able to go to SF STL ahead of time for activation at our home park. Maybe they'll do that with memberships, too. I'd imagine at this point SF is going to do whatever it can to keep people coming to the park when they open.

EDIT to add: Liquor store staying open; veggie shops staying open;

The veggie shop makes me laugh, because the only plentiful amount of food on our local grocery store shelves is healthy food, such as fruits and vegetables. It works out perfectly for Emily and I!

Also, the no cars day seems fun and the geography of your home town looks beautiful!

Edited by prozach626

Silly me. I bought a season pass and parking pass to Lagoon for Black Friday. I also bought a season pass, parking pass, and season tube for Splash Summit earlier in the month. Definitely did not predict anything like this happening. Ah, for those innocent days when I thought COVID-19 was going to die out just like Zika did.

With Utah’s parks only open seasonally, I just hope we won’t miss the entire 2020 season. This whole fiasco has thrown a wrench into things to say the least.

I bought a season pass and parking pass as well. It is very possible (and probably likely) that their opening date of March 28th will be pushed back, but I think the chances of a 2020 season not happening are extremely, extremely low.

But then again, 2020 has been testing us. Just woke up to the 5.7 Utah earthquake this morning which was unexpected for me, even as a Californian who has grown up with earthquakes. What a weird few weeks it has been.

Thanks for the perspective, Zach. I haven't seen that media portrayal down here in the Ozarks, but I have no doubt it's different in STL. I'm sure you heard Springfield lost an officer this week, at a gas station where I am a regular customer too. So much sh*t in this world before the virus, this is just compounding things. Stay safe. We'll get through this.

Anyone who is betting against Florida Man in the "Last park standing" bracket has learned nothing over the course of their lives.

Fun Spot isn't the only contestant remaining, updating my list from Saturday these parks still remain open.

- Belmont Park

- Fun Spot America

- Galveston Island Pleasure Pier

- Kemah Boardwalk

- Scandia (Sacramento)

- Wildlife World

Zach, if you want to eat out get over here quick. All St Louis city and county (and St Charles, Jefferson, Franklin counties) restaurants are banned from having dine in after midnight tomorrow. Carry out only at that point. And several places have gone ahead and pulled the plug.

We're going to try the grocery store later and see how that goes. No panic buying, we are just out of food. I can tell you that the liquor store was hopping at about noon today though I imagine that in the next few weeks you will have a lot more domestic calls and I also imagine there will be a whole lotta Christmas babies this year.

Just announced today: The U.S. and Canada Gov'ts have agreed to shut down The Border

for non-essential (recreation and tourism) travel. Trade will still happen with truck crossings, etc.

I assume that the same will happen, with the Mexico and U.S. Border?

BorderCrossing.jpg.2933d30d8475d8c08beb8950a3ff25b0.jpg

Edited by Nrthwnd