TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

COVID-19 Coronavirus and Theme Parks Official Thread

Both Six Flags Texas parks just shut down effective immediately, thru the end of March.

https://www.sixflags.com/fiestatexas/plan-your-visit/coronavirus-update

feel really bad for TeacherKim, who was coming to Texas tomorrow for the parks (and to meet up with me at the parks), but understood.

Teacherkim feels really bad for Teacherkim too. I just cancelled my air and hotel. Thankfully no hassles about cancelling but this sucks, was really looking forward to some warmer weather. To rub salt into the wound it's going to be a high of 40 here tomorrow with a rain/snow mix. As some of you know my son is a ride ops at SFSTl. Not only are they delaying park opening but employees were informed no training for the next two weeks. That being said not I would consider an April 4 opening day extremely tentative.

Edited by teacherkim

Six Flags Discovery Kingdom just announced that they are closing through the end of the month, after which they will reevaluate the situation. Selfishly, I'm a bit bummed, as I wanted to visit Sunday to take advantage of low crowds. However, it's far outweighed by feeling glad that, at last, we're starting to do what needs to be done. I'm a teacher, and am now making lesson plans for "remote learning". We're all gearing up for school closures here in the Bay Area. This is needed, and hopefully flattens that curve somewhat.

Yeah, most of the schools around here will be on Spring Break next week and we are all speculating that it will get extended by at least a week. I think they may just try to force a two week quarantine on everyone. Apparently AMC is now selling only 50% of seats in each theater, not sure if that is local or nationwide.

Greene County, Missouri (Springfield) has one confirmed Covid-19 case, but SDC at least for now is planning to keep its March 17 opening date:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.news-leader.com/amp/5030588002

Good to know,maybe if they stick to that we will make an overnight trip down to soften the blow of losing Texas a bit! I'll keep an eye on it.

Greene County, Missouri (Springfield) has one confirmed Covid-19 case, but SDC at least for now is planning to keep its March 17 opening date:

Good to know,maybe if they stick to that we will make an overnight trip down to soften the blow of losing Texas a bit! I'll keep an eye on it.

Well, there's a good reason I hedged that with "at least for now." SDC is delaying opening day until March 28.

https://amp.news-leader.com/amp/5030588002

Well, there's a good reason I hedged that with "at least for now." SDC is delaying opening day until March 28.

https://amp.news-leader.com/amp/5030588002

Rats. Well I had high hopes for an hour or two.

David's Rock and Gem show just got cancelled a few hours ago. It was to take place tomorrow and Sunday. Fact is, they're lucky if they get 100 people per day, at this event in past years. So this is a panic cancellation IMhO. And not really thought out.

EDIT TO ADD: They also just announced cancellation of the bigger BC Rock & Gem show out in Abbotsford. Big Editor from U.S. Rock and Gem Magazine to come out, hopefully like David's stuff and then do a small article on him. Hopefully, this will happen next year. The table space is still to be held for David and others who paid in advance. So that's good.

DavidsGemstones2020.jpg.c1c4c70d3720838090a51f4c6412a649.jpg

56 of them, and they all light up in back, revealing some really beautiful scapes. Photo taken by David.

Edited by Nrthwnd

Everything is pretty much closing. The US and basically the world, is woefully unprepared for such an event. Medical and economical for everyone.

This is NOT political, it is the reality of what we are now, as humans, are facing.

I can't wait for it all to blow over, I just want things back to normal. There are a lot of coasters out there screaming out my name to ride 'em.

Oddly enough, Magic Mountain and Knott's are both open today. Starting tomorrow, they will be closed the rest of March. I'm thinking of trying to dip out of work early to grab some last rides this afternoon.

Universal and Disney are open today too. Well, now just Disney since Universal just hit their closing time of 6pm.

At this time, it looks like most big parks will eventually close. There is no way around that.

The real question is how long. I'm hoping that the parks can reopen by the summer season, but that is a pretty big question.

This is getting absolutely insane, my local Target is completely stripped bare and all the schools just closed for at least a week all for a virus that gives 90% of people flu like symptoms at worst. I understand that the elderly and immune-compromised need to take this virus seriously but shutting down society and causing people to panic is doing more damage to the country and the global economy than the virus. Needless to say the only time I remember people panicking as much as they are now is this:

DIQsY72UwAArNsR?format=jpg&name=small

People saying this is just like the flu need to look up the mortality rates and see how well Italy's hospitals are doing.

Italy is having problems because their population is old (average age is 46 years old while the US's average age is 38). The Coronavirus generally only severely effects those over 65 and those with weak immune systems. Those under 65 with normally functioning immune systems (85-90% of the population) either show no symptoms at all or develop flu like symptoms that are gone after a week or two. I'm not saying we shouldn't take this seriously but that the panic that's been going on the last week is causing more problems for society than the virus itself is atm

People saying this is just like the flu need to look up the mortality rates and see how well Italy's hospitals are doing.

Seriously, it isn't the danger of the virus once infected, it's about keeping the hospitals below the threshold so we can alleviate the death count. Yeah, if you're old you have a higher chance of dying on a ventilator, but what if you're 20-something and have pneumonia caused by the virus and because the hospital is full you can't get breathing support? You drown in your own bodily fluids slowly and painfully. Because you're stupid.

Oh let's not get this twisted. All of these cancellations are on the advice of accountants and lawyers, not doctors.

I'm sure lawyers were involved, but it was doctors who drafted pandemic response plans (decades ago). Because testing was minimal, closing everything is the only thing left to do. If the shutdowns are adhered to, then restarting everything can happen sooner. But not this month. Flatten the curve. Slow the Spread. Social Distancing. Protect nurses and doctors.

scmp.com has an article today about how some "recovered" patients have 20 to 30 percent lung function reduction.

From a coaster perspective, interesting that Iron Gwazi was completed just in time and has had passengers (RMC crew). Standing But Not Operating.

The next TEA Attendance Report is going to be sobering reading. The impact of Coronavirus is just unthinkable for so many industries in every corner of the world. I don't think there's ever been anything quite like it, not even 9/11. And it's not 'just flu' - it's far more contagious and there is no vaccine. With the respiratory problems it causes it will overwhelm health services as it has done in Italy and as it is now beginning to do elsewhere in Europe.

Oh let's not get this twisted. All of these cancellations are on the advice of accountants and lawyers, not doctors.

I'm sure lawyers were involved, but it was doctors who drafted pandemic response plans (decades ago). Because testing was minimal, closing everything is the only thing left to do.

Exactly. Doctors' advice was ignored, so all the corporations are scrambling to protect themselves.

Europa Park's Rulantica waterpark will be closed from 16th March. There will be an announcement regarding the park's planned 28th March opening next week.

"Due to the dynamic developments regarding Coronavirus, the Mack family has decided, in close coordination with the responsible authorities, to begin preparations to close Rulantica from 16th March 2020. The decision to take such measures hasn’t been easy for the Mack family, but the safety and health of the visitors will always be the highest priority. The Mack family is aware of its responsibility for visitors, employees, and their families.

Guests who have already bought tickets, or packages including hotel stays, can amend their bookings flexibly. For further information, please visit: rulantica.com and europapark.com respectively.

Europa-Park is also currently in close contact with the authorities in regards to the season opening on 28th March 2020. We will publish another update on this next week.

We hope for your understanding during these challenging times and look forward to welcoming you at Rulantica and Europa-Park again soon. Stay with us and more importantly, stay healthy."

Source

^ I could be wrong but I think it will be the one after the next one since the one that comes out next is for 19-20

Thank you, yes, you're right.