TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

COVID-19 Coronavirus and Theme Parks Official Thread

Everyone just needs to wash their damn hands and live their life. Except for old people. They should stay home until we know WTF is actually going on.

It might be this easy if it weren't for the media fear mongering on a daily basis.

I respectfully suggest reading accounts from doctors in northern Italy today who are no longer able to treat everyone and are stuck doing triage. they are overworked - in Italy's wealthiest region (near Gardaland). Plus, it is also disrupting other types of treatments. Broken arm? Appendicitis? Kidney stones? Sorry but the doctors are too busy and exhausted to see you.

Here is a good account from Italy:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/health/canada-covid-19-coronavirus-spread-hospital-surge-capacity-ventilators-1.5493178

I'm good

Parque Warner Madrid has decided to close down this weekend due to the coronavirus. From the banner on their website:

Following the recommendations of the competent health authorities, Parque Warner has decided to take extreme care of its visitors and employees by suspending its opening this weekend. We will continue to report promptly through our website and social networks.

Cedar Fair has released a statement via email. As of right now all parks are still planned to open as scheduled.

A Message from Richard Zimmerman, Chief Executive Officer,

Cedar Fair Entertainment Company

Dear Valued Guest,

Cedar Fair's highest priority is always the safety of our guests and associates. We know you continue to hear and see news reports about the coronavirus, or COVID-19, and some of its effects around the world. The Cedar Fair team is closely monitoring this evolving situation and are in regular contact with health agencies for information and guidance.

All Cedar Fair properties intend to welcome guests in accordance with our published schedules, and we continue to implement preventive measures as recommended by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) as well as our own health and hygiene protocols. All our parks and resorts have high standards of cleanliness, which assists with illness prevention. We employ rigorous sanitation standards and robust cleaning procedures, including:

Extensive and ongoing training for associates on maintaining a safe and hygienic workplace and environment for our guests;

Specified intervals for frequent cleaning and disinfection of targeted areas throughout the day;

Numerous and accessible handwashing facilities and hand sanitizer locations;

Quick response to spills, trash and other situations;

Daily and frequent sanitation procedures for restrooms, kitchens, dining surfaces, benches and trash cans;

Daily and frequent cleaning and "wash down" of outdoor locations, including walkways and queue lines

The leadership team is communicating with our associates about illness prevention; this includes guidance issued by the CDC. The CDC recommends everyday preventive actions to help stop the spread of germs. The CDC provides more detailed coronavirus information on its website at http://www.cdc.gov.

As always, we maintain close relationships with local, state, national and international public health authorities. We take their guidance when additional preventive measures are deemed necessary.

Thank you for your continued support and trust in Cedar Fair's family of parks and resorts.

Sincerely,

Richard Zimmerman

Chief Executive Officer

Cedar Fair Entertainment Company

Nuts. Our annual group stay-cation in town (early April) is cancelled, because of you-know-what going on. It was a group decision, so nobody was surprised at the outcome. Still. I guess we'll plan for a fall get-together. Hopefully.

This is getting wild around here. All Broadway shows are closed now and no mass gatherings of over 500 people allowd in NY.

Live Nation is canceling a ton of arena tours too.

Live Nation canceling all arena tours now too. At this rate I'm not sure how Disney and Universal and the other major parks won't be closed at some point. I hope I'm wrong because all of this is absolutely brutal for everyone and the economy.

https://www.billboard.com/amp/articles/business/touring/9333748/live-nation-global-pause-tours-concerts-coronavirus

^ Yeah, I just read about Broadway "shutting down" until April 12th, or thereabouts.

EDIT to add: This is going to be one of the most "uneventful" periods of time in the World's History.

My university officially cancelled all in-person lectures and is moving everything online for the remainder of the semester (end of April). My wind ensemble/orchestra is completely cancelled. I live on campus and am allowed to stay here as of now, but who knows if that could change. Crazy stuff!

I used to think people were just being hysterical and panicking (which is still partially true), but everything feels so real now since my university made that announcement. I'm a full-time student!

We are 48hrs from peak hysteria.

Parents are getting pissed now that schools are closing weeks on end considering children seem nearly bulletproof. If a child has underlying health issues like mine(has ITP, low platelet count) accommodations need to be made otherwise keep them open.

The average age of those dying is somewhere close to if not over 80.

Dollywood's Media Day

Dollywood will open as scheduled Saturday, but it is canceling its Media Day activities Friday

"“The exciting economic news we planned to share does not seem appropriate based on what is going on. It doesn’t feel right,” Dolly said. “We need to focus on good health and praying for those who are affected. We know brighter days are ahead.”

We are 48hrs from peak hysteria.

Parents are getting pissed now that schools are closing weeks on end considering children seem nearly bulletproof. If a child has underlying health issues like mine(has ITP, low platelet count) accommodations need to be made otherwise keep them open.

The average age of those dying is somewhere close to if not over 80.

Just because kids seem to be immune to it they can carry it and still spread it like the little petri dishes they are.

Meanwhile I'm sitting here in Vegas, watching all hell break loose, and we've closed some buffets. My major concern isn't the virus but my goddamn livelihood. Everything live entertainment is getting cancelled across the board, it seems, aside from resident shows here in Vegas. Unfortunately I've not worked on a resident show here in a while now. My income has been the arena and convention center shows. My wife is a manager for the Zappo's Theatre at Planet Hollywood and while they've not cancelled anything show-centric as of this writing they're stuck dealing with fallout from vacation cancellations, flight changes, professional and college sports, as she works in ticketing and all of those events are resort-wide.

Long story short, buckle up, kids. This isn't gonna be fun.

Edited by KBrylczyk

Got the Cedar Fair email they are staying open and taking precautions etc etc

I hope so! Just got my platinum pass!

And on a serious note, one of my trip plans go shelved, so figured I'd use the time to go to Carowinds so really hope it stays open.

I am worried though because as mentioned in here, all types of places are closing. FSU and colleges here have gone online and its inevitable all schools close, and quite likely the state/county/city agencies (where I work).

If they pay us, I'll gladly take a few week paid vaca! But it'd be nice if the parks are open.

Meanwhile I'm sitting here in Vegas, watching all hell break loose, and we've closed some buffets. My major concern isn't the virus but my goddamn livelihood. Everything live entertainment is getting cancelled across the board, it seems, aside from resident shows here in Vegas. Unfortunately I've not worked on a resident show here in a while now. My income has been the arena and convention center shows. My wife is a manager for the Zappo's Theatre at Planet Hollywood and while they've not cancelled anything as of this writing they're stuck dealing with fallout from vacation cancellations, flight changes, professional and college sports, as she works in ticketing and all of those events are resort-wide.

Long story short, buckle up, kids. This isn't gonna be fun.

Oh yeah, it's not the virus. Even if I, or lots of us, were to get it, while it will be pretty crappy I'm not like concerned for my health. Its all the shutdowns and etc People are concerned about the stock market...that's just the traders, once more places close, possible domestic travel stoppage, I don't see how a recession won't hit

Just now the City of Tallahassee cancelled an event, its a big one. Prob millions lost there.

Ya nailed it, this will be a rough time

Canceling and closing everything is only going to slow the spread of this thing, it will not help whatsoever. It’s going to get as bad as it will regardless of what stays open and what cancels, and more than likely the entire world will get it and a bunch of 80 year olds will die. We’re just slowing the inevitable at this point, and annihilating the economy and everyone’s livelihood in the meantime. Way to go, world. This is insane.

Canceling and closing everything is only going to slow the spread of this thing, it will not help whatsoever. It’s going to get as bad as it will regardless of what stays open and what cancels, and more than likely the entire world will get it and a bunch of 80 year olds will die. We’re just slowing the inevitable at this point, and annihilating the economy and everyone’s livelihood in the meantime. Way to go, world. This is insane.

Yikes, and some Americans wonder why others think we're so selfish and entitled and cruel.

That's not super accurate, each new person can get to others, that's the point of containing. So less who do, less it spreads, more who do more it spreads. It lasts a few weeks not forever...so with containing we can limit the spread.

So we do NOT let get as bad as it will. I mean, China not just contained but its been reducing there. So clearly it CAN be limited. If one wants to debate if such measures should be taken fine but can't just say "oh well its pointless so screw it" besides, yeah you and I will surely be fine but I'd like to NOT spread to others and make em sick, and if an 80 year old was to get it from me (I live in FL btw!) and die.....that's pretty horrible and irresponsible.

Like I'm fine, great, but I can carry it, and what can I say, I'd like it not get to an 80 year old who might die *shrugs*

Thankfully, I don't expect too many 80 year olds at the parks, so if they stay open I do plan to go, wash my hands constantly, and if my work closes and all that....hopefully try to enjoy the time with some drives to some parks

^^^ I'm holding you accountable, if my 73 year old partner has "sudden health problems".

Or myself, at 67 years old. Take your pick. (End/Rant) And PRE- Happy Friday the 13th everybodys!

Following Disneyland's closure, Universal Studios Hollywood has also announced they're closing from March 14-27.

Per NBC Los Angeles:

Universal Studios Hollywood Closes Over Coronavirus Fears

The announcement comes shortly after Disney officials announced both theme parks in Orange County, California would shutter their gates

Universal Studios Hollywood announced Thursday it would be shutting down the park in hopes of containing the spread of coronavirus.

Universal Studios officials said the park would be closing to the public beginning Saturday, and would reopen March 28.

Universal CityWalk was to remain open to the public.

https://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/local/universal-studios-hollywood-closes-over-coronavirus-fears/2328004/

Well, the pearl clutching texans who said the Houston Rodeo must go on, it has too been cancelled.

Austin's is still going on as scheduled (those were the pearl clutchers. . they weren't worried about the Houston Rodeo, as that started last week. . but yes, they cancelled it effective 4pm today, before most of the "big" musical headliners were set to perform in the upcoming week).

I expect the Austin Rodeo *will* be cancelled, since Houston cancelled, but as of right now? it's still on starting Saturday.

https://rodeoaustin.com/

took less than 1 day.. but Austin Rodeo just got cancelled

https://rodeoaustin.com/covid19/