TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

COVID-19 Coronavirus and Theme Parks Official Thread

Golden State Warriors(NBA) just announced they are playing their game vs the Nets behind closed doors.

Seattle Sounders(MLS) and Mariners(MLB) just postponed games and the XFL Seattle team is playing behind closed doors.

Seems like just a matter of time before more teams do this as well. Starting to wonder if theme parks will be the next thing to end up closing for a bit.

It's starting to look that way, and I worry how it's going to affect smaller parks. The big ones are going to take losses, the investors are going to lose money (boo-hoo, so sad), but the parks are still going to be there. The parks without deep pockets could really suffer, though.

From what I've seen, it seems like parks are skating by the fact their gatherings aren't confined to one single building much like a sporting event or a conference.

But given the hype and fear around coronavirus, I expect there to unfortunately be some park closures in the near future as pressure mounts.

Even if they don't eventually close, I'd be very surprised if it doesn't drive business down significantly. People are going to be uncomfortable with lots of people gathered in one space, their jobs will be discouraging travel. There's almost certainly going to be a significant impact.

It's starting to look that way, and I worry how it's going to affect smaller parks. The big ones are going to take losses, the investors are going to lose money (boo-hoo, so sad), but the parks are still going to be there. The parks without deep pockets could really suffer, though.

When I heard that Indiana Beach, et al. had closed, that was my thought (the investors don't want this hassle).

Maybe SIX and FUN and the other chains will bounce back afterwards.

Seattle now bans gatherings of 250 people. Including sports events ... that shows seriousness.

Meanwhile, northern Italy's hospitals are overflowing, with triage decisions underway. The only thing left now is "social distancing." Looking forward to the end of pandemic parties, but that won't be this month.

Delaware High School sports are behind the times. My employer was scheduled to host the state HS basketball championships, but told the league that they'd have to play without spectators, so they opted to move the event instead.

The NCAA just said all tournaments will be played behind closed doors, that's absolutely wild. All the other leagues will probably announce something soon at this rate.

To clarify, this was only the actual NCAA tournament. Conferences are still making their own decisions for their conference tournaments, though I imagine after the games played today they will follow suit on this.

But this is yet another massive economic blow. I worked the western regional last time they were in LA, three sessions of sold out games at Staples was about 30 hours of work just for 3 days. If the NBA and NHL follow suit as well, hourly workers at staples center accustomed to 30+ hours a week from events like the NCAA regional on top of Lakers, Clippers, Kings, and concerts will be out thousands of dollars in income.

...And then you have to multiply that number for every other industry also impacted. Hotels, bars, restaurants, uber/lyft drivers, the suppliers for these events, the independent contractors brought in for lighting/audio/event planning/etc.

Everyone just needs to wash their damn hands and live their life. Except for old people. They should stay home until we know WTF is actually going on.

Everyone just needs to wash their damn hands and live their life. Except for old people. They should stay home until we know WTF is actually going on.

It might be this easy if it weren't for the media fear mongering on a daily basis.

For those asking about why parks aren't counted as large gatherings here's a piece form an article on Disney Paris.

The Disneyland Paris park is not affected by the 1,000 person rule because it is considered a place that people pass through rather than an indoor space like a theatre or conference hall, a spokesperson for the health ministry said.

To our European readers, here's what Elissa is referring to: the United States government is prohibiting travel from all European countries, with the exception of the U.K., into the United States, for thirty days, starting this Friday (March 13).

It's not clear if you will be able to fly into the U.S. if you connect through an airport in the U.K. (or Canada), nor is it clear what the procedures are for Europeans who need to fly OUT of the States.

Edited by A.J.

Well, the pearl clutching texans who said the Houston Rodeo must go on, it has too been cancelled.

Austin's is still going on as scheduled (those were the pearl clutchers. . they weren't worried about the Houston Rodeo, as that started last week. . but yes, they cancelled it effective 4pm today, before most of the "big" musical headliners were set to perform in the upcoming week).

I expect the Austin Rodeo *will* be cancelled, since Houston cancelled, but as of right now? it's still on starting Saturday.

https://rodeoaustin.com/

Edited by bert425

To our European readers, here's what Elissa is referring to: the United States government is prohibiting travel from all European countries, with the exception of the U.K., into the United States, for thirty days, starting this Friday (March 13).

It's not clear if you will be able to fly into the U.S. if you connect through an airport in the U.K., nor is it clear what the procedures are for Europeans who need to fly OUT of the States.

More specifically, our President (whom MANY of us did not vote for), referred to the Coronavirus in his speech as the "Foreign Virus"

shameful, and xenophobic.

It might be this easy if it weren't for the media fear mongering on a daily basis.

I respectfully suggest reading accounts from doctors in northern Italy today who are no longer able to treat everyone and are stuck doing triage. they are overworked - in Italy's wealthiest region (near Gardaland). Plus, it is also disrupting other types of treatments. Broken arm? Appendicitis? Kidney stones? Sorry but the doctors are too busy and exhausted to see you.

Here is a good account from Italy:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/health/canada-covid-19-coronavirus-spread-hospital-surge-capacity-ventilators-1.5493178

The documentation from China and Italy does tell us WTF is going on. Slowing the spread is the only option now. It's going to be inconvenient for all of us. If we can slow the spread now the inconvenience might be less.

This is not political, it's much bigger than that. Glad to see costs being waived for tests (if you can find one), treatments, co pays, sick leave getting covered, etc.

As for blocking travel from Europe (or anywhere), it's a bit late for that given it's already seeded around our country.

Now that I presented the facts, opinion time:

The travel suspension is very likely going to have some sizable impacts on the tourism economy here in Orlando. It's pretty much the lifeblood of the area and I can see many people having to deal with reduced hours or even layoffs because of it. I'm even concerned about my own job.

^^ I'm also on my 3rd week unpaid due to the virus. End up spending a lot of time just randomly reading articles and just came across this:

Actor Tom Hanks has revealed that he and wife Rita Wilson have tested positive for the new coronavirus in Australia.

Hanks and Wilson, both 63, sought medical advice after experiencing symptoms of a cold in Queensland, the actor wrote on Instagram.

They will now spend time in isolation, he added.

The couple had been on the Gold Coast, where Hanks was working on a film about the life of Elvis Presley.

On Wednesday, the World Health Organization (WHO) officially declared the outbreak to be a pandemic.

Hanks wrote on Instagram: "We felt a bit tired, like we had colds, and some body aches. Rita had some chills that come and went. Slight fevers too.

"To play things right, as is needed in the world right now, we were tested for the Coronavirus, and were found to be positive".

He said they would keep the world "posted and updated".

"We Hanks' will be tested, observed, and isolated for as long as public health and safety requires. Not much more to it than a one-day-at-a-time approach, no?"

Source

Leave it to Tom Hank's to put out a calm rational message instead of a 'sky is falling, send the media to cover my near-death experience.'

Edited by Garet