TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

COVID-19 Coronavirus and Theme Parks Official Thread

That farm thing is a great idea. Let's make an educational boat ride out of it that's always a walk-on.

I WISH that it was always a walk-on.

If there have been any serious impacts to the theme park industry, they're certainly not visible, apart from outright closures. The Walt Disney World parks have been just as crowded as they always are these past few weeks. I've been going every weekend and it still is just as psychologically painful as usual.

Haven't posted in this thread, as I haven't had much to contribute.

but. . . I think we *are* about to see some parks shut down in the USA.

I hadn't thought it would happen, but then these two things - that hit close to home for me - just suddenly made announcements today.

Emerald City Comicon (held in Seattle and supposed to start next week) was announced today they are postponing until Summer 2020.

and here in Austin, pretty much signing the death warrant for multiple struggling clubs/gallery spaces that count on SXSW to survive. . . SXSW was just cancelled moments ago. This is a pretty huge one.

https://techcrunch.com/2020/03/06/sxsw-cancelled/

I think some parks are going to be forced into a PR situation where they are going to have to close or else face accusations that they don't care about their customers.

this really sucks. . . . but I do think it's gonna happen.

Hmmm. Wonder if Playland here in Vancouver, might postpone their opening in May?

Too far away to speculate? Yeah, I know. Still... "things that make you go hmmm."

Haven't posted in this thread, as I haven't had much to contribute.

but. . . I think we *are* about to see some parks shut down in the USA.

I hadn't thought it would happen, but then these two things - that hit close to home for me - just suddenly made announcements today.

Emerald City Comicon (held in Seattle and supposed to start next week) was announced today they are postponing until Summer 2020.

and here in Austin, pretty much signing the death warrant for multiple struggling clubs/gallery spaces that count on SXSW to survive. . . SXSW was just cancelled moments ago. This is a pretty huge one.

https://techcrunch.com/2020/03/06/sxsw-cancelled/

I think some parks are going to be forced into a PR situation where they are going to have to close or else face accusations that they don't care about their customers.

this really sucks. . . . but I do think it's gonna happen.

Yeah seeing cons postponing, Ultra and SXSW.... we'll see what Coachella does. Lolla would be next. I don't think parks will close, I think they'll talk about how they're doing their part. Maybe there will be a limiting of hours..

Really wanting to jump on a super cheap cruise right now! Also, Kudos to Royal Caribbean and other cruise lines that are doing never before seen cancellation deals!

oh yeah. . that's one serious silver lining. Did you see the cruise I posted for Bill over in the Disneyland thread? Starting at $265-300 for 7 day Caribbean, with ALL perks included free (drink package, excursions, onboard credit. . sheesh).

and agreed! kudos for the cancellation options RC rolled out today!

capture_73.png

So far, I have decided to postpone any major park trips until further notice. I was saving up for a Midwest/South trip this summer with Silver Dollar City being the main destination, but as of now I am going to wait to see the effects of the virus on the industry before booking any flights.

Instead, I might tentatively plan a mini road trip to visit some smaller parks in the Mountain West, like Lagoon and Glenwood Caverns. Much less stress planning a trip where I do not have to book a flight, and I feel like regional parks would be a safer bet than larger ones.

So far it’s been destination events and venues being canceled (cruises, music festivals, conventions) - things people generally need to fly out for. I’m holding onto hope that regional parks, where the vast majority of visitors are driving from home, will stay open.

I’ve got the NAB Show coming up in April which is still a go so far. A few exhibitors have dropped out but the majority are still set to participate. I think a lot will depend on how things progress with this between now and then. Show brings in roughly 100,000 people between attendees and exhibitors.

To put things into an international perspective: The leading virologist in Germany, Dr. Christian Drosten sees the mortality rate somewhere between 0.3 and 0.7 percent.

We still ran out of toilet paper.

I'm happy and sad to see that the Europeans are also freaking out. Makes me feel that I guess we're all equally terrible now! And I agree with the mortality rate. Obviously there are so many cases not being reported so the actual mortality rate is lower than what is being reported.

I'm happy and sad to see that the Europeans are also freaking out.

Toilet paper, pasta, people stealing desinfectants from hospitals.

The media situation is absolutely unbearable right now, too. There seems to be no other topic worth writing about. If one of our roughly 670 infected persons sneezes, there will be 10 to 25 articles about that “situation”.

Luckily our health minister is doing a great job in handling the crisis.

Really wanting to jump on a super cheap cruise right now! Also, Kudos to Royal Caribbean and other cruise lines that are doing never before seen cancellation deals!

oh yeah. . that's one serious silver lining. Did you see the cruise I posted for Bill over in the Disneyland thread? Starting at $265-300 for 7 day Caribbean, with ALL perks included free (drink package, excursions, onboard credit. . sheesh).

and agreed! kudos for the cancellation options RC rolled out today!

capture_73.png

A 7 day cruise for $300 per person?! Such a steal!!

Sorry.....NAB?

National Association of Broadcasters. . it's a big show. I'd assume that's what Sluggo is referring to

nice to see they have a status update at the top of the event page to keep folks in the loop.

https://nabshow.com/2020/

Sorry. You got it right! It’s a big show for sure. I’m currently Vice-Chair of the Exhibitor Advisory Committee for this show. I can say the show staff is doing everything they can to stay on top of the situation and are communicating regularly with attendees and exhibitors.

Since COVID-19 posts have invaded the individual park threads we figured it would make more sense to centralize everything into one place where people can discuss the current impacts and potential future impacts of COVID-19 hysteria on the industry.

What are your thoughts on the subject and what potential impacts do you see?

I'm not elderly(yet) and no underlying health conditions, I'm going to theme parks, I'll fly to get there and I'll take a cruise if the deal is good enough.

My take on it is that so few that are carrying it exhibit symtoms and in my personal opinion thousands upon thousands are carrying it by now that containment is a wishful fantasy. Now that it is out in the open and folks are looking for the first sign of anything we can get a start on the elderly and unhealthy until it is too far gone and I think that is the main issue now with this age and condition set. That is they have had it for week or more and by the time they get to the dr it is too far gone. I can completely understand how Italy came down so hard with all the Chinese tourist I personally saw there last summer. I'm shocked Paris is as far gone.

A 7 day cruise for $300 per person?! Such a steal!!

Could be a lot more than 7 days if the ship isn't allowed back into port.

At Discovery Kingdom today, they're taking a disinfecting break every half hour or so where they wipe down the air gates in the station.

Wow, so knowing that place they’re wiping everything down before every dispatch then? A little excessive but okay.

Edited by coasterbill

At Discovery Kingdom today, they're taking a disinfecting break every half hour or so where they wipe down the air gates in the station.

Wow, so knowing that place they’re wiping everything down before every dispatch then? A little excessive but okay.

I've had 10 minute dispatches on past visits, but the staff today was really working quick to get trains out. The things slowing them down were the hourly ride breakdowns and the fact every coaster only had one train.