TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

New RMC coming to South Dakota proposed

So I don't know how this was found but I saw that the Wild Water West Waterpark outside Sioux Falls, SD is looking to get approved to build an RMC Raptor for sometime in the future. Here's a link to the city planning agenda tonight, with a nice big photo of Wonder Woman: https://www.minnehahacounty.org/dept/pl/planningCommission/meetingInfo/staffReports/022420.pdf

What do you guys think?

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's odd that it's being added to a waterpark. Though, it doesnt appear to be the first dry ride they've added with the go-karts located nearby. Though, it's nice to see a raptor built at a size of park that they were originally marketed for. It's also worth mentioning that they intend to open it this year, unless i read something wrong.

I feel a little ecstatic and a little sad. Hopefully it happens. The ecstatic part is I would only be a 3.5 hour drive from a RMC Raptor track coaster. The sad part would be South Dakota having a coaster that is probably more fun than any coaster in the state I live in. Never thought that could ever happen. Oh the shame.

Man I've been wanting water parks to install amusement park rides forever, roller coasters, log flumes, rapids, drop tower, whatever, so this is awesome. I love a good water park but even the best ones in the world you can get a little bored with so a different experience thrown into the traditional mix is a very welcome addition, hope everything goes well and this ends up happening.

I feel a little ecstatic and a little sad. Hopefully it happens. The ecstatic part is I would only be a 3.5 hour drive from a RMC Raptor track coaster. The sad part would be South Dakota having a coaster that is probably more fun than any coaster in the state I live in. Never thought that could ever happen. Oh the shame.

Yeah but you have Log Chute so it's okay.

https://ksoo.com/wild-water-west-to-build-sioux-falls-first-roller-coaster/

This article states that they got the permits they needed from the county which is good.

Full quote: All we have done regarding this roller coaster project is get county approval first, which we received last night, to see if this project is even a viable option for us. We still have a lot of investigation and due diligence that has to happen before this roller coaster becomes final in any way versus any other options we are pursuing at this time. If this does come to fruition, we will have many more details to follow in the coming months. But for now we are just in very preliminary stages so there are not very many details to provide at this time.

The fact that a waterpark in South Dakota is looking at getting one of these really demonstrates the current level of cheap-assery of Six Flags.

I suspect two things:

1. this was the discounted one for sale at IAAPA

2. RMC probably gave them an even better deal to showcase the fact this ride can be built anywhere and operated by any type of park (water park, FEC, or actual amusement park).

^I agree with Joey. If the coaster was already manufactured and just ready to be installed, it serves RMC more benefit to have a small park with little-to-no coasters put it up to get more hype.

I do wonder what if anything this water park would do to add the coaster... Would riders need to change to ride this as a dry experience or would it be something that they can move from a water slide to a coaster on without changing. Or would the park add additional dry attractions to create a new section of the park exclusively for non-water rides. I've been trying to figure out the same thing operationally for when Sesame Place San Diego opens up.

^I agree with Joey. If the coaster was already manufactured and just ready to be installed, it serves RMC more benefit to have a small park with little-to-no coasters put it up to get more hype.

I may be misunderstanding your post. Are you saying that RMC could get more positive publicity in the industry by putting a raptor in a smaller park instead of a larger park? I think if a smaller park can see the popularity a raptor will draw, even in a larger park with much larger attractions, this would be a lot more tempting. I'm sure RMC already advertises the lower cost. If you have a park with only one or two roller coasters and a raptor instantly becomes the top attraction, I don't think it will prove 'as' much as a raptor taking the spotlight away from big boy attractions.

Sorry if I'm misunderstanding.

Are you saying that RMC could get more positive publicity in the industry by putting a raptor in a smaller park instead of a larger park? I think if a smaller park can see the popularity a raptor will draw, even in a larger park with much larger attractions, this would be a lot more tempting.

That's what I was getting at. If a small park (especially a water park that uses this as an entry into a dry park market) is able to install such a coaster (at a low cost) to much fanfare and positive results, it has the potential to increase the product appeal for the RMC Raptor. While the rides are highly regarded, Wonder Woman Golden Lasso Coaster and RailBlazer stand out in their respective park lineups with other major coasters, as Jersey Devil will be as well. Installing this in a smaller park means that the RMC Raptor has the potential to be one of if not, the star attraction of the park for a solid period of time.