TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Mt. Olympus Water & Theme Park Discussion Thread

P. 61: America's First 'Slidewheel' opening Summer 2022!

While everyone is complaining about how badly the park is managed, the quality of the coasters, and who the finger should be pointed at, am I the only one who's curious as to what will Opa be replaced with? I could easily see a Vekoma roller skater in that space. And as for everyone who is complaining about the lack of safety at the park, you do realize that it's in a state where people wear cheese on their heads to watch football.

That's too smooth and high capacity for the park. Maybe a Little Dipper with Mean Streak wheels and OTSRs? Remember, Just because Mt. O removes something, Doesn't mean it will be replaced with a ride.

PS, That state is also home to Noah's Ark, Kalahari, Wilderness, Little Amerricka, And Bay Beach which have very few problems. It's not the state, It's the Owner doing less than the bare minimum to get a buck. Hades could have 2 trains, But then they have to maintain both of them. That's a quote as to why Hades 360 wouldn't have 2 trains.

^And some people like to actually enjoy a ride without it ripping their spleen apart.

"Extensive Retracking and Regular Maintenance" is something this park can never do, and most parks can't afford. So you're pretty much out of luck if you want more parks to build big wooden coasters that don't turn to crap.

Topper track will save rides and keep some options open. Learn to like it or move along.

If Holiday World and Knoebels can afford it, why can't every park? People around here love to rag on the Voyage, but plenty of others disagree and HW does everything they can to keep it rideable. And that's not the only example of big wooden coasters that haven't turned to crap. You can't tell me I need to learn to love topper track until it's a more standard thing that lots of parks have invested in, which thus far is not the case. RMC can save broken-down mediocre rides that don't have particularly unique or exciting layouts to begin with. The Beast, Voyage, and certainly Hades do not need it.

My vote is just to burn Hades 360 to the ground.

A friend of mine recently asked me about the Opa accident. I guess she saw it some news feed. She's seemed to be worried but I explained to her that Mt. Olympus doesn't follow a lot of the rules as other parks. I mean they screwed in loose bolts on Hades train seconds before they were about to dispatch us. I would not be surprised if eventually the waterpark is only left standing. Along with tons of dirty hotels.

The was surprising to see that when it happened! Basically the attendant went up the left side of the train checking the lapbars and when she got to around the middle of the train, she tugged on it and it came all the way open. Next a maintenance guy came over, tightened a bolt of the side of the car and the lapbar tightened up again. I swear we were the first train of the day considering that is also something that would've been caught in the morning test-runs if they had any.

I was in the car that that happened on, though luckily it was on the seat next to mine. Still...I was pretty damn nervous about that ride.

My vote is just to burn Hades 360 to the ground.

A friend of mine recently asked me about the Opa accident. I guess she saw it some news feed. She's seemed to be worried but I explained to her that Mt. Olympus doesn't follow a lot of the rules as other parks. I mean they screwed in loose bolts on Hades train seconds before they were about to dispatch us. I would not be surprised if eventually the waterpark is only left standing. Along with tons of dirty hotels.

The was surprising to see that when it happened! Basically the attendant went up the left side of the train checking the lapbars and when she got to around the middle of the train, she tugged on it and it came all the way open. Next a maintenance guy came over, tightened a bolt of the side of the car and the lapbar tightened up again. I swear we were the first train of the day considering that is also something that would've been caught in the morning test-runs if they had any.

I was in the car that that happened on, though luckily it was on the seat next to mine. Still...I was pretty damn nervous about that ride.

Say what you will about SFMM but they do maintenance before people get on the ride.

^And some people like to actually enjoy a ride without it ripping their spleen apart.

"Extensive Retracking and Regular Maintenance" is something this park can never do, and most parks can't afford. So you're pretty much out of luck if you want more parks to build big wooden coasters that don't turn to crap.

Topper track will save rides and keep some options open. Learn to like it or move along.

If Holiday World and Knoebels can afford it, why can't every park? People around here love to rag on the Voyage, but plenty of others disagree and HW does everything they can to keep it rideable. And that's not the only example of big wooden coasters that haven't turned to crap. You can't tell me I need to learn to love topper track until it's a more standard thing that lots of parks have invested in, which thus far is not the case. RMC can save broken-down mediocre rides that don't have particularly unique or exciting layouts to begin with. The Beast, Voyage, and certainly Hades do not need it.

Wow, you're really hell bent on arguing every single post someone writes, aren't you? You've really become one of our most annoying posters lately. Perhaps you should take a step back and look how abrasive you've been and re-think some of the arguments you've made.

--Robb "Just being honest with you..." Alvey

Edited by robbalvey

I'll agree that The Beast doesn't need it (one of maybe 3 wooden coasters I've been on that I feel the shakiness adds to the fun of the ride) but Hades could most definitely use topper track. Hades has a very aggressive layout that would tear up brand new wooden track in no time. A park like Mt. Olympus can't even maintain their coasters now so completely re-tracking Hades wouldn't do much good unless it was with topper track.

Well this stinks me and some friends were planning to go to Mt Olympus this year. Although I do remember feeling sketched out the one time I WAS there waiting in line for Hades when I noticed the lady working the controls dozing off But oh well there's always SFGAM and Noah's Ark nearby.

Also that'd be great if Palace bought this place, they'd do wonders, as they've done great with my original home park Kennywood

Well this stinks me and some friends were planning to go to Mt Olympus this year. Although I do remember feeling sketched out the one time I WAS there waiting in line for Hades when I noticed the lady working the controls dozing off But oh well there's always SFGAM and Noah's Ark nearby.

Also that'd be great if Palace bought this place, they'd do wonders, as they've done great with my original home park Kennywood

Or Zamperla, Considering what they've done to Coney Island, I'm sold.

So you're pretty much out of luck if you want more parks to build big wooden coasters that don't turn to crap.

Luckily for my tastes, Cyclops is not much of a 'big' coaster. It seemed to hold up over the years pretty well... but even it has started showing serious signs of neglect last summer.

So you're pretty much out of luck if you want more parks to build big wooden coasters that don't turn to crap.

Luckily for my tastes, Cyclops is not much of a 'big' coaster. It seemed to hold up over the years pretty well... but even it has started showing serious signs of neglect last summer.

It was pretty brutal this past year. Far more brutal than ever before. Sad...

It was pretty brutal this past year. Far more brutal than ever before. Sad...

You say that like your surprised Mt. Olympus would let a coaster deteriorate. Can you spell Hades

Out of curious, do Timberliners keep a smooth new woodie nice while enhance the roughness of a rough woodie?

Mean Streak doesn't need Topper track, Boss doesn't need Topper track, Colossus doesn't need Topper track, American Eagle doesn't need Topper track. But Hades360 doesn't deserve RMC's work! Burn that thing down and let Cyclops be more visible while entering the park.

You say that like your surprised Mt. Olympus would let a coaster deteriorate. Can you spell Hades

I can't speak for Robb, but my point was that Cyclops was the last to start falling apart - because it is not that big or fast. The bigger faster coasters were in horrible condition for years... Cyclops just took a lot longer. Bummer

I can't speak for Robb, but my point was that Cyclops was the last to start falling apart - because it is not that big or fast. The bigger faster coasters were in horrible condition for years... Cyclops just took a lot longer. Bummer

Ohh... Never mind then. Sorry Robb and you.

Exactly.

Some of you have now received your wish....

Dells roller coaster to be dismantled

April 02, 2014 11:40 am • Capital Newspapers staff

(0) Comments

Mt. Olympus will permanently close and dismantle an indoor roller coaster that injured a 63-year-old man March 6, according to a statement from the company.

In a report released Tuesday, the Wisconsin Department of Safety and Professional Services found several violations related to defective and worn parts on the Opa! Rollercoaster, which was under scrutiny after Fremont resident Anthony Theisen was thrown from the ride and fell 17 feet.

Theisen had been in a coma and on a respirator at the University of Wisconsin Hospital in Madison, according to the family’s attorney, Todd Korb of the Milwaukee law firm of Hupy and Abraham. Korb said Theisen came out of the coma on Monday, but that the long-term effects of his brain injury are not known.

In the report, DSPS investigators noted that mechanical parts on the ride were worn and prevented the lap bar from locking into proper position during operation. They also discovered that the weight limit of 660 pounds per car on the ride was exceeded, as the group's total weight at the time of the incident was estimated to be 720 pounds.

In a statement, Mt. Olympus says the state’s findings about the lap bars are inconsistent with its internal investigation, but says the amusement park will permanently close the ride.

"Mt. Olympus has cooperated fully with State Department of Safety and Professional Services investigators in an effort to determine the root cause of the March 6 incident,” the company said in a statement. “Our engineers and safety experts concur with the state’s conclusion that Mt. Olympus properly assembled and installed the lap bar on the ride. However, other findings regarding weight limitations, bulletins and the inspection of lap bars are inconsistent with what our internal investigators found.”

The statement adds the accident was the first serious incident of this type in the theme park’s history.

"Mt. Olympus is a family-owned business that prides itself on providing high-quality family recreation and entertainment in a safe environment … Guest safety is a paramount goal at Mt. Olympus. We conduct strict daily inspections and regular maintenance of our rides, and all employees operating rides complete extensive operator training."

In addition to improving its maintenance practices, DSPS ordered Mt. Olympus to change its training procedures, including maintaining staff training records.

The Mt. Olympus statement says its internal investigation contradicts the state’s findings that the weight limit for the ride had been exceeded.

Link: http://www.wiscnews.com/baraboonewsrepublic/news/local/article_59383834-be87-5c47-86be-ad460cc662d5.html

"Mt. Olympus is a family-owned business that prides itself on providing high-quality family recreation and entertainment in a safe environment … Guest safety is a paramount goal at Mt. Olympus. We conduct strict daily inspections and regular maintenance of our rides, and all employees operating rides complete extensive operator training."

This literally seems like a flat out lie! Anyone who has been to the park knows the Ride Ops are some of the worst is an theme park, and maintenance is shotty at best (which we know cause we've seen them do it while guests are on the freaking rides!)

Edited by COASTER FREAK 11

I may have said this, but I wouldn't be totally bummed if this park got a corporate takeover by SF or CF (more likely CF due to SF's presence in the nearby area as SFGAm), they could probably manage it much better. However, what would Olympus do with their precious hotels?

• jedimaster1227 changed the title to Mt. Olympus Water & Theme Park Discussion Thread