TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Mt. Olympus Water & Theme Park Discussion Thread

P. 61: America's First 'Slidewheel' opening Summer 2022!

No matter which theme park you go to, they are (in my eyes) always supposed to be a family-friendly place. I've noticed the last several times I've gone to a theme park at least one instance of someone wearing something or just something on their person that was not family-friendly at all, which concerned me a little. There are exceptionally few times and places where it is okay for you to wear a shirt with the F bomb splayed out in big letters, and a theme park is definitely not one of them. (Halloween events – lots of fake blood and scares, but ehhh, still no)

Alas, people think they are allowed freedom of speech anywhere. You can wear and say what you want, but please, use your freakin' head. Most of the time it’s just unnecessary.

I just rode it last night and this morning and if it was any worse before the Timberliners I don't even want to think about what that could've been. It is brutal - Timberliners, lazyboys, whatever you put on that ride isn't going to change it - even the newly retracked (or rebuilt sections like the turnaround) were nearly as bad as the "old sections" - surprised about that since Timberliners were suppose to reduce stress track.

I look at it like a pothole on a road... doesn't matter what car you drive it will still jolt you.

I just rode it last night and this morning and if it was any worse before the Timberliners I don't even want to think about what that could've been. It is brutal - Timberliners, lazyboys, whatever you put on that ride isn't going to change it - even the newly retracked (or rebuilt sections like the turnaround) were nearly as bad as the "old sections" - surprised about that since Timberliners were suppose to reduce stress track.

I look at it like a pothole on a road... doesn't matter what car you drive it will still jolt you.

I haven't ridden very many roller coasters, but I have ridden The Rattler as it used to be and the Boardwalk Bullet. Both had PTCs when I rode them (Bullet still does), and both were very rough, though Rattler MUCH more so. I can say that PTCs are easily some of the worst things to happen to many wooden roller coasters. It's like riding in a cardboard box full of bricks down a staircase. The only thing the Timberliners will do is keep the track from getting progressively worse.

I haven't ridden very many roller coasters, but I have ridden The Rattler as it used to be and the Boardwalk Bullet. Both had PTCs when I rode them (Bullet still does), and both were very rough, though Rattler MUCH more so. I can say that PTCs are easily some of the worst things to happen to many wooden roller coasters.

I wouldn't place total blame on PTCs... There are some great rides running PTCs (just got off Viper at SFGAm and that's quite smooth with PTCs for example). Rides with PTCs may require more maintence but can still provide good rides.

I've ridden the Rattler and Boardwalk Bullet as well - those seem relatively smooth compared to Hades. They may say Timberliners may not destroy the track as quickly but the newly tracked areas of Hades isn't smooth by any means - not sure if that's the Timberliners, the construction, lack of maintence or something else.

Have you been on Hades? I would say go ride it and then compare to old Rattler and such but I don't wish a ride on Hades on anyone!

I was looking forward to a trip here in the near future but I'm not sure if it's worth it, now, based on comments in this thread. Would I be best served ignoring this park for now since it's so far away from me and focusing on enjoying other parks we haven't been to? (I never thought I'd ask if it was worth 'skipping' a park I've never been to...)

I can say that PTCs are easily some of the worst things to happen to many wooden roller coasters. It's like riding in a cardboard box full of bricks down a staircase.

A PTC car/train in it's basic, old-school form (box, seats, buzz bar) gives an excellent ride. But when you start adding all that extra weight in different places (those headrests/hardbacks have a metal core in them - and are behind the axle; the ratchet bar mechanisms also add weight), the dynamic of the ride changes dramatically over time.

I mean, a pot hole is still a pot hole, but those super-rigged-out PTCs don't provide good rides over time. Viper at Great America is special though. Built in-house with a super heavy duty structure and track... it's near perfect. But would still be better without all the extra PTC "gear." PLUS... the lap bars are rigged so they only go down the 'buzz bar' level, no further -> no stapling

^Elissa, didn't you used to really enjoy Hades? How does it compare now from your previous visit? Did the Timberliners help at all?

I rode Hades opening year 2005 and it was fantastic! I really enjoyed it...and I do NOT like rough rides at all.

Then I rode it in 07, and it was rough and dropped quite a bit in my mind.

When we went to the park in 2010 I was warned not to ride it as it was pretty far gone.

Last week I rode it hoping for the best and was quickly killed. It was by far the roughest ride I've been on EVER, and I've been on a lot of terrible rides (SOB, White Canyon, Gouderix, SLC's, Outer Limits with OTSR's, etc.).

I was honestly offended and horrified that the park would leave a ride like that operating. To think that six and seven year old children could be put on that ride not quite knowing that the 'Hades is running agressive today' sign is a nice way of saying 'stay away!' scared me.

When you bring a group of 93 enthusiasts to the park for ERT and most give up after one ride, and nearly all after the second ride, something is wrong. Even people that 'love rough rides' thought the ride was too rough! I was having to beg people to go ride again so Robb could get footage.

What bums me out is that the ride has a ton of potential. It's a fantastic layout and setting, you're just in so much pain you can't enjoy it.

^Elissa, didn't you used to really enjoy Hades? How does it compare now from your previous visit? Did the Timberliners help at all?

I rode Hades opening year 2005 and it was fantastic! I really enjoyed it...and I do NOT like rough rides at all.

Then I rode it in 07, and it was rough and dropped quite a bit in my mind.

When we went to the park in 2010 I was warned not to ride it as it was pretty far gone.

Last week I rode it hoping for the best and was quickly killed. It was by far the roughest ride I've been on EVER, and I've been on a lot of terrible rides (SOB, White Canyon, Gouderix, SLC's, Outer Limits with OTSR's, etc.).

I was honestly offended and horrified that the park would leave a ride like that operating. To think that six and seven year old children could be put on that ride not quite knowing that the 'Hades is running agressive today' sign is a nice way of saying 'stay away!' scared me.

When you bring a group of 93 enthusiasts to the park for ERT and most give up after one ride, and nearly all after the second ride, something is wrong. Even people that 'love rough rides' thought the ride was too rough! I was having to beg people to go ride again so Robb could get footage.

What bums me out is that the ride has a ton of potential. It's a fantastic layout and setting, you're just in so much pain you can't enjoy it.

This is all 100% accurate. But what is most notable is this:

I went back and looked at our 2005 Mitch Hawker ballots. I ranked it #10 in the world and Elissa ranked it #8. This year, it ranks dead last. I can't think of a single wooden roller coaster that I like LESS than Hades 360.

And I agree with Elissa. Children should not be allowed to ride this roller coaster.

The worst part of it all is that the park easily has more than enough money to make Hades awesome, but they'd rather spend it all on hotels and night clubs. I'm really hoping that all these terrible reviews will get the park to sit down, figure out what to do with it, and invest some serious cash in it. Maybe if they had some competition they'd step it up, because their clearly taking they're position as WI's only "theme park" as an excuse to do the bare minimum.

• jedimaster1227 changed the title to Mt. Olympus Water & Theme Park Discussion Thread