TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Mt. Olympus Water & Theme Park Discussion Thread

The park has by no means a bad collection of rides/attractions. It's just operated with all the care and precision of a drunken jackhammer. They've spent all their money on buying more and more hotels/resorts in the area, that they have no maintenance budget left to fix Hades/Zeus/Pegasus/Cyclops or keep their attractions from going all Final Destination on every other customer.

With the recent news that Six Flags is looking at purchasing parks, I would love to see a more corporate sensibility come to the park, even if it is Six Flags.

The park has by no means a bad collection of rides/attractions. It's just operated with all the care and precision of a drunken jackhammer. .

So very true.

Hades, Zues, and Cyclops all have the potential to be really good (even great) roller coasters, but the complete lack of maintenance and single train ops mean that they are all supremely underutilized assets.

Even in their current sub-par state (and despite the park's overall shabby state), I'd still say that the park's coasters are worth a credit visit if you happen to be driving right past it on I-90/94. I mean, even though Hades will beat you to hell and back, how often do you come across a monster 4,700' long inverting wooden coaster with not one, but TWO, utterly insane pitch-black 800' long subterranean tunnels? That alone is unusual enough to warrant a stop, in my opinion. Cyclops is the gravy.

And the park is crazy inexpensive, so you will feel no need to stay there any longer than you want to "get your money's worth".

With the recent news that Six Flags is looking at purchasing parks, I would love to see a more corporate sensibility come to the park, even if it is Six Flags.

I don't see it happening, but that would be a dream.

I haven't been to Adventureland, so my vote is for Adventureland.

All jokes aside, Hades was closed due to staffing during my visit. I'm still in no hurry to go back. The park wasn't dreadful, but there just wasn't about it that really blew me away.

Maybe everyone is right . . . I think I should skip Mt. Olympus and just do what I truly want to do . . . take the long route and make a pit stop at Adventureland instead. Mt. Olympus is intriguing to visit just to see what my viewpoint will be, but to be honest, it's not where I want to go after I visit Six Flags Great America. I want to visit ONE DAY before the park closes or shut down for whatever unimaginable reason, but I believe this isn't the time. Every time I think about Adventureland, I get excited, but when I think about Mt. Olympus, I don't feel any emotion. Strange, but true.

Cyclops - up until about 4(?) years ago was the single most terrifying and awesome coaster moment I have ever experienced. That DROP was insane. Since the re-profile and removal of buzz bars, I have no intentions of going back.

RMC can whip you around like a damn rag doll as much as they want, nothing beats being suddenly ripped out of your seat a full 10 inches.

Heck, Cyclops' first drop was no slouch either. But man, that park is a dump and a nightmare. Everything was fine until the year after Hades was running (2006). In the years since, I would drive up there mostly to get some quality rides on Cyclops, then high-tail it out of there. And this is coming from someone who can easily spend a full day and night at Conneaut Lake. No joke.

I'm so down on Mt. Olympus, I recently donated the shirt they gave out of Hades media day.

Cyclops - up until about 4(?) years ago was the single most terrifying and awesome coaster moment I have ever experienced. That DROP was insane. Since the re-profile and removal of buzz bars, I have no intentions of going back.

RMC can whip you around like a damn rag doll as much as they want, nothing beats being suddenly ripped out of your seat a full 10 inches.

Heck, Cyclops' first drop was no slouch either. But man, that park is a dump and a nightmare. Everything was fine until the year after Hades was running (2006). In the years since, I would drive up there mostly to get some quality rides on Cyclops, then high-tail it out of there. And this is coming from someone who can easily spend a full day and night at Conneaut Lake. No joke.

I'm so down on Mt. Olympus, I recently donated the shirt they gave out of Hades media day.

Maybe I was high off the gas fumes, but I had a great visit in summer of 2015. I didn't find Hades super rough. I only got one ride in due to the god awful operations, so maybe I was lucky?

Zeus was one of the worst rides I have ever been on - up there with Son of Beast, Hurler, Dinn woodies.

Cyclops was amazing and I found the go-carts to be really underrated. I never pay to go on them or make trips to indoor cart tracks, but damn the ones they have are aweeeeesooooommmeee.

I wouldn't pay more than 20 bucks to visit the park since the operations are so shoddy. Went in with low low low expectations and had a fun time. I'm not rushing to go back there since I have all the credits.

^I think part of it, for me at least, is having something SO GREAT (the 80s Beast with little or no brakes, a 1989 Timberwolf, a 1990 Ga Cyclone and Tx Giant... a CP Blue Streak with classic trains; Indiana Beach when the Spackmans owned it, etc. etc. etc.) then see it become not so great anymore... to see it deteriorate and have changes that remove what we loved about it so much.

Sure, things change I get it and accept it. But unfortunately, some things change for the worse. And sometimes it really sucks.

It's like having a buttercream frosted birthday cake for your birthday, then getting a cardboard cake the next year. If you didn't get used to that buttercream frosted cake, the cardboard cake may not seem so bad.

This is one reason I get to classic rides and my favorite rides as much as I can. Spending the good part of a whole day riding Conneaut Blue Streak, SFOG Mind Bender, Kennywood Thunderbolt and Jack Rabbit...

Maybe everyone is right . . . I think I should skip Mt. Olympus and just do what I truly want to do . . . take the long route and make a pit stop at Adventureland instead.

Valleyfair is always an option from SFGA also. Just a little farther than Adventureland. Both are better than Mount Olympus.

Maybe everyone is right . . . I think I should skip Mt. Olympus and just do what I truly want to do . . . take the long route and make a pit stop at Adventureland instead.

Valleyfair is always an option from SFGA also. Just a little farther than Adventureland. Both are better than Mount Olympus.

I've been to Valleyfair before already. Matter-of-fact, every park I visit is new. Lol. I'll figure it out soon...hopefully.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I don't know if it was a combination of things or this reason: when I went to my Olympus on a $7.00 ticket day it was understandably packed... however the day was cooler and very overcast, so that caused the coaster lines to become freaking insane and the waterpark less so. So, prepare for huge crowds, but maybe try and watch the weather to find a hotter day and that may help you with the crowds dispersing.