TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Mt. Olympus Water & Theme Park Discussion Thread

Mt. Olympus is one of the few parks in the country that I have no intention of visiting. Even if I'm in the area. Its not worth it for a few credits. Its also one park I would not be disappointed to hear of it closing. There are far better (and safer) options to even worry about Mt. Olympus.

It has just fell into the toilet. I'm not sure if it was because I was young, but I've visited the park almost every year I've been alive. And of late, it has been getting so much worse. It is almost like every single worker there was forced to work there, and their supervisors do not care what they do, so they just walk through things, and sometimes not even do others. It is seriously sickening. I would rather drive the extra half hour to SFGAm and pay the extra $55 for the pass, then spend 8 hours in that park with just me. It sucks that as a Wisconsin native, that the only well known park in the area is known for all the wrong reasons.

I remember having a blast at the park in 2005, the year Hades opened. It started getting worse, but was always worth a stop for the holy grail of HOLY S&*T airtime, Cyclops. Even that is ruined now

Come to think of it, I remember those gonna-try-to-snap-your-ankle surprise curbs throughout the park... guess that was a sign of things to come!

The last time I was there, the park was to stay open until 6. They decided it wasn't crowded enough and closed prematurely at 5.

It was also the first time I saw a ride crew not let someone ride who was already in the station queued up for a seat. He was the odd man out on what they decided would be the last train of the night, a TPR member to boot. I could see if he snuck in after the ride was pronounced closed, but that was real low of them. He walked away like a trooper.

For anyone whose followed Mt Olympus since their near accident earlier this summer, you'd know that the park has been on a firesale the rest of the summer. Tickets have been at $5 for the past two weeks and we were in the area over Labor Day Weekend, so we chose to abandon all logic and get there for opening on Sunday.

It was scary busy there by the time we left.

Got there about 15 minutes before opening, they held us by that little area where you can easily climb onto Cyclops' track area, once they dropped the rope we went to Hades which was running a test train with water dummies. Luckily when everyone saw it was closed they left the queue and we ended up with a quick 15 minute wait. It was my first ride since 2008.

Hades had pros (surprisingly!) and cons for me. Loved the Timberliner trains - much more comfortable than the PTCs. The track area around the loop was butter smooth and worked really well into the ride after the first part of the tunnel. The tunnel itself was shaking like a leaf the whole way, I didn't mind so much but everyone else hated it.

Cons included just about everything else. After the pre-lift segment my wife nearly asked me for a divorce for getting her on the ride. It tracked terribly bad and those places that were so good back in 2005 when it opened were horrible. It's a 5/10 ride that should be a 9/10.

We popped onto Cyclops since the crowds weren't there yet, had a ride in the back row and while it's not as bad as Hades, the reprofiled the "drop of death" just isn't the same as it used to be. Still fun, and now I can keep my hands up without really fearing for my life which is a plus.

After the coasters we hit the wave pool. This was a highlight of the trip. For those of you who have not been - let me show you the one video I took of the wave pool before I realized there should be no loose articles allowed!

[youtu_be]

[/youtu_be]

We weren't even half way up to the rope and the wave knocked us back a solid 15 feet with everyone else. It's so dangerous, but a lot of fun. As the park filled up there had to be 1000 people in the pool which was flat out scary.

By 1PM there wasn't a chair in sight, every line was at least an hour for everything and you could barely walk against the crowds that were still streaming into the park. The main road into the park was backed up about a mile due to cars trying to get into the nearly full parking lot - never seen anything like it before.

All in all I'd say I got my $5 worth with rides on two coasters and that wave pool, although we got the heck outta dodge before the trip was going to go south.

• 2 weeks later...
It has just fell into the toilet. I'm not sure if it was because I was young, but I've visited the park almost every year I've been alive. And of late, it has been getting so much worse. It is almost like every single worker there was forced to work there, and their supervisors do not care what they do, so they just walk through things, and sometimes not even do others. It is seriously sickening. I would rather drive the extra half hour to SFGAm and pay the extra $55 for the pass, then spend 8 hours in that park with just me. It sucks that as a Wisconsin native, that the only well known park in the area is known for all the wrong reasons.

SFGAm is 3 hours from Mt. Olympus. Anyway, we went once in 2011 and while it was fine for the value, doubt we will ever be back after the accidents and these bad reports. We have SFGAm only 15 minutes away anyway.

Hades360 is down for the rest of the season. (excuse me if this has already been said)

They had their other three coasters running. I went Saturday from 6 pm to 8 pm and then on Sunday from 10 am to 11 am. ( 19 ) rides total. They were all walk on. We stayed at a "cabin" across the street. I think it was well worth the $70 we paid.

I know I'm responding to stuff that's a little old, but people who think that cheap tickets somehow indicates that My Olynpus is in trouble don't really get (IMO) how the Mt. Olympus business model works. They don't really care about having people pay to get into the park - they really want people to stay in all the many many cheap motels they've bought throughout the Dells, the park is just the carrot to get the people to book hotel rooms... That's why they spend as little as possible on the park (including on maintainace and the quality of their employees). They just do the minimum amount of upgrading to get people interested.

I know I'm responding to stuff that's a little old, but people who think that cheap tickets somehow indicates that My Olynpus is in trouble don't really get (IMO) how the Mt. Olympus business model works. They don't really care about having people pay to get into the park - they really want people to stay in all the many many cheap motels they've bought throughout the Dells, the park is just the carrot to get the people to book hotel rooms... That's why they spend as little as possible on the park (including on maintainace and the quality of their employees). They just do the minimum amount of upgrading to get people interested.

I can book a room right now for a weekend in October at Mount Olympus Village for $45/night that includes free green fees at a golf course and park entry. Do you understand how difficult it is to make money on a hotel room that costs $45/night with just the basic cost of cable and utilities along with the labor? Their business model is completely insane. You don't continue to drop prices getting further into peak season if you're succeeding. That's counter productive. It appears that they have no idea what they are doing or that they believe they have a potential successful business model that literally no one else has ever succeeded at or even attempted to try.

Their wave pool is the same model used at Disney's Typhoon Lagoon. Their system is to fill a bunch of chambers with water, then flush it out all at once. A bit different from traditional wave pool systems.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txVTKxYT1d0

(The company the installed both of these, Barr & Wray, seemed to have become one of many that merged with White Water West.)

I always assume someone has died, or some crazy accident has happened, whenever I see this thread near the top of the forums. Just thought I'd throw that out there

A perfectly logical assumption for a park with a standing death toll of 0.

Someone died after falling off their Crazy Mouse.

I always assume someone has died, or some crazy accident has happened, whenever I see this thread near the top of the forums. Just thought I'd throw that out there

A perfectly logical assumption for a park with a standing death toll of 0.

Someone died after falling off their Crazy Mouse.

They lived. They probably can't communicate with more than grunts, but they lived.

Just because no one has died doesn't mean that cannot be assumed. With the negligence of this park, the horror stories we have all heard or witnessed ourselves, and the amount of accidents this park has had, it wouldn't surprise me in the least if someone ends up getting killed here someday. Ive been to the Dells at least 40 times in 30 years and amusement parks for almost as long... this is one I quit going to years ago after some of the horrific things I have seen.

• 2 weeks later...

Having been to the Wisconsin Dells, Here are 2 things about Mt. Olympus:

1. They are selling Summer Season passes for $15

2. Whatever they are building, Is going to be between Pegasus and the Highway (I'm assuming due to a bunch of dirt in the area)

If I were to guess, I could see something like Pilgrims Plunge.