TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Mt. Olympus Water & Theme Park Discussion Thread

I was just up there a few weeks ago taking my 7 and 2 year old on the Ducks for the first time. I haven't taken them across the street to Mt Olympus. I don't know if I ever will under the current management, the last time I was in Mt Olympus was a few years ago so I haven't ridden the new 360 revamp. That last trip involved waiting over an hour for a ride on Hades when there was only 4 trainloads of people in front of you is excruciating. (seriously, my ride was only the 5th trip in a one hour period!)

I'm afraid that it might even be getting worse. I suspect that there is more and more people like me who have been a few times and just won't go again because of how badly the park is run and how rude the employees are. The cost for the tickets to get into the park are now only $10 online and almost all of the really cheap motels include them for free (including ones not owned by Nick) so I can't imagine the clients spend nearly as much money in the park as when it had fewer guests but charged much more. But hey, what do I know, there's lots of money to be removed from your average FIB.

However I do want to point out that the Hellcat (formerly Avalanche) at Timber Falls is still as great as ever and is still one of the best rides in the dells. After 5 it's only 15 dollars for 5 rides on the Hellcat and unlimited rides on the great little waterflume and minigolf. (I still wish they didn't instill that 5 ride limit! )

And the catapult goes bye bye. Although this ride was operated by a vendor, thats still two accidents in as many years. Such a shame for a park that still has so much potential to be really awesome, even if it is in the Dells.

Still seems as if it would be cheaper and easier to maintain than just get rid of stuff. But in this case it wasn't theirs so why should they care.

"After further review Mt Olympus has required Casco Inc., the owner/operator of the Catapult ride to permanently cease operation of the ride and remove the ride from Mt Olympus Water and Theme Park."

I haven't been on Hades yet and saw $15 tickets online. "Damn, this is as cheap as it gets, I'll just buy it," I thought. Next thing I know, tickets start selling for $10 instead. Instant remorse: I could have save $5 on getting myself killed and leaving my wife and the cats by themselves next month. Kinda a shame.

I agree, this park has enormous potential with its go-karts, coaster line up, and large Waterparks. This resort could be something really big for the Dells (and I think it is to a certain extent) but isn't quite where it could be. I don't think it will get there either if the same decisions keep beig made

I haven't been on Hades yet and saw $15 tickets online. "Damn, this is as cheap as it gets, I'll just buy it," I thought. Next thing I know, tickets start selling for $10 instead. Instant remorse: I could have save $5 on getting myself killed and leaving my wife and the cats by themselves next month. Kinda a shame.

They make up for it with parking fees

They make up for it with parking fees

If I pay 30 altogether and live, still cheaper and probably more enriching than a trip to Legoland.

Whenver I hear about an amusement park accident, it surprises me. Whenever I hear about an accident at Mt. Olympus, I'm always surprised it wasn't worse. This place really is, in my opinion, the worst operated amusement park in the country.

Yeah, those ropes looked super sketchy, even on the crappy 240p video. I'm frankly surprised that no one was hurt -- a cable under that much tension could've easily severed one of the ride operator's limbs if it had whipped around, and things really wouldn't have ended well if it snapped after the capsule was released.

I have to agree about this park being totally lackadaisical when it comes to maintenance - I will never forget the one and only time I went to the park a couple of years ago and my friend and I were in line to ride Hades 360. We were in the station, and there was a ride mechanic who waited until the train dispatched and jumped down onto the track in the station and was spraying something with a can of WD-40 and banging on it with a hammer. He kept looking up and when the train came onto the brake run he would leap up onto the platform. Once the people left the train, he was banging on something on the train (it looked like they were having a problem unlocking the restraints). And then more riders got on, the train dispatched and then he went back down onto the track with his hammer and spray. And this went on for several cycles until we got on (and it may have continued when we got off, as he was still there).

Talk about an accident waiting to happen. That would totally have to be an OSHA violation! I have never seen anyone work on a coaster while it was running at any park, not even tiny "mom & pop" operations.

Going to Mt. Olympus got me some more coaster credits for sure, but honestly, I really have no desire to go back there again.

I just got back from Noahs Ark, felt safer there.

Just heard about it an hour ago, really sad cause that park looks to have so much potential. The Hades revamp looked sweet from the highway as well. Only rode it in its original form years ago. They really just need an experienced company to come in and take over, cause that place is fun, but would be so much better and obviously safer if that happened. Oh well we can only hope.

On another note Hellcat was pretty sweet, wouldnt want to ride back seat though, only rode front and it was a bit shaky.

On another note Hellcat was pretty sweet, wouldnt want to ride back seat though, only rode front and it was a bit shaky.

That coaster is awesome, we sat in the front and it was actually one of the smoother wooden coasters. Didn't find it shaky at all.

However, being in the back seat with a full train would be an awesome (Or headache inducing) experience. It was just the 2 of us on the train and it was still very fast.

I have to agree about this park being totally lackadaisical when it comes to maintenance - I will never forget the one and only time I went to the park a couple of years ago and my friend and I were in line to ride Hades 360. We were in the station, and there was a ride mechanic who waited until the train dispatched and jumped down onto the track in the station and was spraying something with a can of WD-40 and banging on it with a hammer. He kept looking up and when the train came onto the brake run he would leap up onto the platform. Once the people left the train, he was banging on something on the train (it looked like they were having a problem unlocking the restraints). And then more riders got on, the train dispatched and then he went back down onto the track with his hammer and spray. And this went on for several cycles until we got on (and it may have continued when we got off, as he was still there).

Talk about an accident waiting to happen. That would totally have to be an OSHA violation! I have never seen anyone work on a coaster while it was running at any park, not even tiny "mom & pop" operations.

Going to Mt. Olympus got me some more coaster credits for sure, but honestly, I really have no desire to go back there again.

I am picturing something from the original roller coaster tycoon. Just a guy in a blue jump suit hammering away at the track, hammer noises and all.

How long have they been running the current $10 admission special? That's a crazy low price.

Anybody been this season?

They've been running that price since at least last season, and outside the park they have permanent billboards advertising "$10 TODAY ONLY"

For the accident, it's pretty scary, and the park or whoever owns the ride got extremely lucky the ride ops didn't pull the lever sooner or else the people on the ride would be dead probably. The scary part though, id that I was there a few weeks ago and we noticed some frays in the bungee system - nothing major, just some small cords from the casing (I think it was the casing) were hanging off about a foot from the bungee cord.

While in the park you can definitely tell there are some really run down areas in terms of maintenance. On the brake run of Cyclops, the brakes completely move side to side when they are applied to the train, which is a bit scary. Oh, and there are areas where you can easily touch the Zeus track from a guest walkway, which was a bit shocking to me.

This whole accident seemed waiting to happen with the amount of neglected maintenance issues in this park. I really hope they take this one into consideration and try to actually make sure their rides are kept up and are for sure safe. I've never seen anything quite like this park but the rides are still fun.

Update: Catapult to be removed. Seems a bit fishy.

"After further review Mt. Olympus has required Casco Inc., the owner/operator of the Catapult ride, to permanently cease operation of the ride and remove the ride from Mt Olympus Water and Theme Park," representative said in a statement Friday. Mt. Olympus president Nick Laskaris declines further comment to 27 News, including what his organization's review found.

http://www.fox28.com/story/29514468/2015/07/09/snapped-cable-on-mount-olympus-amusement-ride-creates-close-call-for-two-riders-in-wisconsin-dells

That park has always seemed really sketchy. I managed to jump the seat divider on Cyclops once (related: anyone else notice the station was built for a six-car train? Wonder what happened), they let us on Hades 360 without testing it (!!), you can touch Zeus and Cyclops' tracks from the entrance path, and of course there was Opa and now Catapult.

But hey, it's cheap as dirt right now to go.

Honestly, I had a good time when I visited for the first time last year. Of course the operations were pretty shitty, and I swear 75% of the staff only spoke Russian. I tried going to the exit of Hades to ask if I could be a single rider and had the most difficult time trying to explain what I was asking before giving up.

But yeah, that slingshot made me stop and stare for a moment. Is it an older model? I hadn't seen one like it before. It just looked sketchy, the way the cables bounced all over the place. I've ridden the one at KI and that freaked me out, but it looked like a standard model. The one at Mt. O just looked outdated and freaky.

-Zach