TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Mt. Olympus Water & Theme Park Discussion Thread

^^^ Hades360 is fairly smooth in the front other than the huge bump at the small double down(Is that an intentional thing or construction thing?) but my further back ride was at the 10th row. I've got to say it's way out of what I can take so I decided not to challenge the last row.

As for Cyclops, yes, I'm very concerned about it's safety which is the second time I did that on a coaster (the first being on Hades360). I worried about the buzzbar because it moves a lot more than those on the other woodies, I worried about the seat belts because the buckles are loose even compare with the seat belts on some Chinese knock-off coasters, I worried about the track collapsing because I did see that scene on the photo posted in this thread a while ago. The drops are very intense that I started to concern about whether the old style track can take that much upward force without much maintaining.

Not to mention that the ride op seems like she can't speak English and she basically just did visual scan with a few safety check at certain rows.

^^^ Hades360 is fairly smooth in the front other than the huge bump at the small double down(Is that an intentional thing or construction thing?) but my further back ride was at the 10th row. I've got to say it's way out of what I can take so I decided not to challenge the last row.

As for Cyclops, yes, I'm very concerned about it's safety which is the second time I did that on a coaster (the first being on Hades360). I worried about the buzzbar because it moves a lot more than those on the other woodies, I worried about the seat belts because the buckles are loose even compare with the seat belts on some Chinese knock-off coasters, I worried about the track collapsing because I did see that scene on the photo posted in this thread a while ago. The drops are very intense that I started to concern about whether the old style track can take that much upward force without much maintaining.

Not to mention that the ride op seems like she can't speak English and she basically just did visual scan with a few safety check at certain rows.

I was in Wisconsin Dells over Easter weekend. Those that have been there before know that there are so many old hotels in that town. When I say "old" I mean the ones that need a lot of TLC. The owner of Mt. O has bought 20 or more of these older hotels. Now I don't know if any of them get an interior refurbishing, but right now they're getting the good ol white with blue trim repaint. Why buy all these hotels over the last few years and not put any money into better staff and upkeep?

Why? Because by buying all the small older hotels they don't have to worry about anyone nearby undercutting them in rate and at the same time allow them to all but control the rates for that area of the market.

I stayed in one of the old motels brought under the Mt Olympus brand when I visited last year. Sure the outside was painted but to answer your question about the interior - not only was it not touched all the info in the room (phone, card on back of door, etc.) still had the old hotel name. Pretty sure all they did was paint outside to match and throw their own lock on the door!

But are you 100% confident that the upstop wheels will not fail/break causing a derailment? Or that the braking mechanism will not malfunction?

No more confident about one breaking on El Toro, Top Thrill Dragster, Banshee (think about all that weight hanging from those top wheels) or Skyrush. My statement was more about the difference you feel on a "classic" style coaster where you (and the train) leave the track and a modern Intamin or B&M machine. If you are used to the newer rides, a wild coaster like Cyclops does feel very dangerous.

It's sort of like riding a Looping Starship, then getting on a good old Skydiver or Zipper. The Starship is a good fun ride, but the older rides more of crazy/free ride, where you move around more.

Of course, I get that some people are fearful of the maintenance there (as I am too!). But I think the reaction is usually do to the dynamics of such a wild ride that still has buzz bars.

When I worked on the Cedar Point Blue Streak (with buzz bars), we had an occasional guest get off the ride, proclaiming that something was very wrong - that the train was leaving the tracks and the grab bars were loose. Most of the old PTC buzz bars are loose.

^ because there's no immediate return on investment from good operations like there is from slummy motels. They don't see the long term goal, just the get rich quick schemes.

Ahhhh...yes the get rich quick scheme. I forgot about that. I honestly don't think the hotels would make any money though, especially for the condition they may be in. Again, I've only seen the outside not the inside. I have a rule about hotels "If it looks good on the outside, then it's nice on the inside" or so I would like to think.

I honestly don't think the hotels would make any money though, especially for the condition they may be in. Again, I've only seen the outside not the inside.

From what I've heard they're awful inside. I've only stayed there once, and I never will again. All rooms start above $100, in the summer anyways. If I'm going to spend more than $100 in the Dells, it will be at Wilderness.

I'm as terrified and horrified of Mt. Olympus as the rest of you, but just to be fair, we stayed at one of the converted motels last year and it wasn't bad at all.

I don't know if we just got lucky, but it seemed at least somewhat redone, cleaned up, and safe. It certainly didn't have a lot of amenities or frills, but I've stayed in worse places (and was really expecting the worst!)

I'm as terrified and horrified of Mt. Olympus as the rest of you, but just to be fair, we stayed at one of the converted motels last year and it wasn't bad at all.

I don't know if we just got lucky, but it seemed at least somewhat redone, cleaned up, and safe. It certainly didn't have a lot of amenities or frills, but I've stayed in worse places (and was really expecting the worst!)

I wouldn't expect any of their hotels to have a lot of frills or amenities. I'm glad you had a pleasant stay at the hotel last summer. I do apologize if my comments seemed biased. I always read hotel reviews before booking, and of course there may be a bad review for a hotel that I absolutely love and I just chalk it up to a bad experience for that reviewer. This would be the same case for Mt. O. There have been good and bad reviews, and I wouldn't mind staying there one night, especially during the winter since there are some great deals.

^I didn't think you were but after re-reading my comments I sounded a little biased and quick to judge. I'm glad everyone had a pleasant stay there. I'd imagine you were at the hotel closest to the park. It does look nice and that would be the one is stay at since it's close to the water park.

Mt O can be a good park. I do enjoy the outdoor water park more than anything there. Posideons Rage is an awesome wave pool. I just hope they put some money into the rides and develop better operations.

I think we stayed at one of the better motels, if I remember, was it like $260 per night?

I think we stayed at one of the better motels, if I remember, was it like $260 per night?

Yeah I don't think our room was too bad. I do remember us wrestling to try to get the TV to work and the bathroom could've been a little cleaner, but it wasn't bad for a basic room. I think what helped was that the group pretty much occupied much of our building and another so we didn't have any loud or annoying neighbors. I think it might've been worse in the buildings surrounding the parking lot where the bus nearly got stuck.

So - we need to watch out for those rediculous 'room rates" in the midwest, yes? No?

Sure, but you'll find them in the winter. I found one where I could stay at a Mt. O property and it included water park, food and drinks (yes alcohol was included as well). I forgot what the price was but of course there were exclusions as to what was available and where you could go.

I looked at Trip Advisor and found a great little mom & pop motel that had great ratings - and turned out to be a great room for a couple nights. It was called the Black Hawk motel. Looks can be deceiving!

Hitting the Dells on a trip around the country next month - I looked this place up, and it looks great for the money! Even comes with a ticket to Noah's Ark for each guest.

Don't forget to check hotwire. I use it all the time and you save a TON of money. You don't get to pick your exact hotel, but you can pick the area and see the reviews before you decide. For example, I looked at the first weekend in June, and there's a 3-star hotel in Wisconsin Dells that is 95% recommended (with 237 reviews), has a pool and free parking and wifi for just $89 a night. You can use betterbidding.com to try to figure out the hotel - it looks like this one is the Ramada Wisconsin Dells.

A couple weeks ago I got the Rosen Shingle Creek resort in Orlando on hotwire for $59 a night.

• 1 month later...
My family is taking a long weekend at various Dells water parks, and today as we came to Mt. Olympus at about 8:00 P.M., we saw a truck leaving full of yellow track from Opa. Thought somebody might be interested...

It got sold to a carnival after the incident. Nothing much else.

So, they're cleaning up the evidence?

This makes so much sense. lol. Now, if they could only clean up the evidence of cruel of unusual punishment that has been given by Hades 360.

They won't until that has a malfunction incident... Which may be Next August if I were to guess.