TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Mt. Olympus Water & Theme Park Discussion Thread

Well this stinks me and some friends were planning to go to Mt Olympus this year. Although I do remember feeling sketched out the one time I WAS there waiting in line for Hades when I noticed the lady working the controls dozing off But oh well there's always SFGAM and Noah's Ark nearby.

Also that'd be great if Palace bought this place, they'd do wonders, as they've done great with my original home park Kennywood

Well this stinks me and some friends were planning to go to Mt Olympus this year. Although I do remember feeling sketched out the one time I WAS there waiting in line for Hades when I noticed the lady working the controls dozing off But oh well there's always SFGAM and Noah's Ark nearby.

Also that'd be great if Palace bought this place, they'd do wonders, as they've done great with my original home park Kennywood

Or Zamperla, Considering what they've done to Coney Island, I'm sold.

So you're pretty much out of luck if you want more parks to build big wooden coasters that don't turn to crap.

Luckily for my tastes, Cyclops is not much of a 'big' coaster. It seemed to hold up over the years pretty well... but even it has started showing serious signs of neglect last summer.

So you're pretty much out of luck if you want more parks to build big wooden coasters that don't turn to crap.

Luckily for my tastes, Cyclops is not much of a 'big' coaster. It seemed to hold up over the years pretty well... but even it has started showing serious signs of neglect last summer.

It was pretty brutal this past year. Far more brutal than ever before. Sad...

It was pretty brutal this past year. Far more brutal than ever before. Sad...

You say that like your surprised Mt. Olympus would let a coaster deteriorate. Can you spell Hades

Out of curious, do Timberliners keep a smooth new woodie nice while enhance the roughness of a rough woodie?

Mean Streak doesn't need Topper track, Boss doesn't need Topper track, Colossus doesn't need Topper track, American Eagle doesn't need Topper track. But Hades360 doesn't deserve RMC's work! Burn that thing down and let Cyclops be more visible while entering the park.

You say that like your surprised Mt. Olympus would let a coaster deteriorate. Can you spell Hades

I can't speak for Robb, but my point was that Cyclops was the last to start falling apart - because it is not that big or fast. The bigger faster coasters were in horrible condition for years... Cyclops just took a lot longer. Bummer

I can't speak for Robb, but my point was that Cyclops was the last to start falling apart - because it is not that big or fast. The bigger faster coasters were in horrible condition for years... Cyclops just took a lot longer. Bummer

Ohh... Never mind then. Sorry Robb and you.

Exactly.

Some of you have now received your wish....

Dells roller coaster to be dismantled

April 02, 2014 11:40 am • Capital Newspapers staff

(0) Comments

Mt. Olympus will permanently close and dismantle an indoor roller coaster that injured a 63-year-old man March 6, according to a statement from the company.

In a report released Tuesday, the Wisconsin Department of Safety and Professional Services found several violations related to defective and worn parts on the Opa! Rollercoaster, which was under scrutiny after Fremont resident Anthony Theisen was thrown from the ride and fell 17 feet.

Theisen had been in a coma and on a respirator at the University of Wisconsin Hospital in Madison, according to the family’s attorney, Todd Korb of the Milwaukee law firm of Hupy and Abraham. Korb said Theisen came out of the coma on Monday, but that the long-term effects of his brain injury are not known.

In the report, DSPS investigators noted that mechanical parts on the ride were worn and prevented the lap bar from locking into proper position during operation. They also discovered that the weight limit of 660 pounds per car on the ride was exceeded, as the group's total weight at the time of the incident was estimated to be 720 pounds.

In a statement, Mt. Olympus says the state’s findings about the lap bars are inconsistent with its internal investigation, but says the amusement park will permanently close the ride.

"Mt. Olympus has cooperated fully with State Department of Safety and Professional Services investigators in an effort to determine the root cause of the March 6 incident,” the company said in a statement. “Our engineers and safety experts concur with the state’s conclusion that Mt. Olympus properly assembled and installed the lap bar on the ride. However, other findings regarding weight limitations, bulletins and the inspection of lap bars are inconsistent with what our internal investigators found.”

The statement adds the accident was the first serious incident of this type in the theme park’s history.

"Mt. Olympus is a family-owned business that prides itself on providing high-quality family recreation and entertainment in a safe environment … Guest safety is a paramount goal at Mt. Olympus. We conduct strict daily inspections and regular maintenance of our rides, and all employees operating rides complete extensive operator training."

In addition to improving its maintenance practices, DSPS ordered Mt. Olympus to change its training procedures, including maintaining staff training records.

The Mt. Olympus statement says its internal investigation contradicts the state’s findings that the weight limit for the ride had been exceeded.

Link: http://www.wiscnews.com/baraboonewsrepublic/news/local/article_59383834-be87-5c47-86be-ad460cc662d5.html

"Mt. Olympus is a family-owned business that prides itself on providing high-quality family recreation and entertainment in a safe environment … Guest safety is a paramount goal at Mt. Olympus. We conduct strict daily inspections and regular maintenance of our rides, and all employees operating rides complete extensive operator training."

This literally seems like a flat out lie! Anyone who has been to the park knows the Ride Ops are some of the worst is an theme park, and maintenance is shotty at best (which we know cause we've seen them do it while guests are on the freaking rides!)

Edited by COASTER FREAK 11

I may have said this, but I wouldn't be totally bummed if this park got a corporate takeover by SF or CF (more likely CF due to SF's presence in the nearby area as SFGAm), they could probably manage it much better. However, what would Olympus do with their precious hotels?

Opa will be in top notch operations condition once it's under the ownership of Wade Shows. He runs nothing but quality.

I believe it was said on screamscape that OPA would be removed over the summer. If I'm correct, what do you think would replace it???

Wade Shows hasn't remotely gotten close to going under. They're as large as North American Midway Entertainment now, and just finished up buying the Schwarzcopf Wildcat "Comet II" from Murphy Bros., giving them 4 full size adult coasters.

I believe it was said on screamscape that OPA would be removed over the summer. If I'm correct, what do you think would replace it???

Probably another wild mouse coaster that doesn't spin you around.

I've been reading some posts in which many were saying I should skip this park when I visit Wisconsin Dells this summer. Well, I'm going to visit that park anyway and make up my own mind and if I go and had a bad day at that park, then I shall post back and say that "You tried to tell me so, but you told me so." Then I'll add that park to the list of other parks in which I GOT BURNT!!!

Here is my trip report from there last summer if you would like to check it out here....

http://www.themeparkreview.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=63522&hilit=opa&start=10

Lot's of pictures of the park and opa.

And here is an interesting post from the trip report about the opa coaster...

Opa was the only mouse coaster I have ever been on where the car actually spun going up the lift hill. After watching the coaster, we noticed that not all the cars were spinning up the hill. I guess we got lucky. Has this happened to anyone else?

I'm assuming that you just happened to had been in a car that hasn't been fixed properly. It is seriously hard for me to see Mt. Olympus TR's and not become cynical because I truly think this is the worst amusement park in the country when it comes to service and safety. I can't think of a visit I've had there where I didn't see or hear something appalling in terms of service or safety. I haven't been to the park since 2009 (and honestly have no desire to return)....and I'm shocked that there hasn't been a death or serious accident to make the news since my initial visit in 2005. Oh and I believe general admission is somewhere around $50 as well....NUTS!!!

However, despite everything I just said, I'm glad you had a positive experience

Edited by thrillrider