TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Mt. Olympus Water & Theme Park Discussion Thread

Also if that witness was telling the truth that she had to hold the bar down the entire ride, why didn't she say something when the ride was over? That's pretty gross negligence on her part.

I have a couple thoughts on this. First, I believe it wasn't stated outright that she didn't do so, and knowing Mt. Olympus, I could see such a complaint going unheeded. Second, it seems possible that she was afraid at the time, but dismissed it as potentially being a normal part of the ride experience. Restraints often have some give to them, which can seem unsafe, but I'm sure many people eventually realize this is normal. Maybe she only realized in hindsight that it was truly hazardous and potentially related to the incident. Then again, as others have said it could be pure lies.

I am glad we have a few more answers now. It's a bit unnerving to think that a lap bar can just fail outright, and not simply be defeated by a rider or restrain a rider improperly. But this does underline the importance of the maintenance that I'm sure most other parks do to make sure it doesn't happen.

I don't know how many "chances" a park should get. If it were up to me, the first time somebody is seriously injured on one of your rides due to total negligence on the part of you or one of your employees, that's it, you're done, no more ride-operating for you. I mean, HELLO? The state's just gonna say "Here's some fines, see that it doesn't happen again"? Yeah right. This kind of thing really upsets me. Coasters are supposed to be safe.

Theisen's attorney, Todd Korb, said a safety test was done on the ride earlier this week. Sand bags to simulate Theisen's weight were placed in the seat he was using, Korb said, and when the cart reached the point on the track where Theisen was ejected, the lap bar opened.

Obviously this is coming from Theisen's attorney, but if this is true then the place needs to be shut down until reasonable safety procedures are put in place. I almost feel like they need to have a third party handle day to day maintenance and safety checks since they're clearly incapable of handling it themselves.

I'm not sure about the Mt Olympus mouse, but don't wild mouse coasters have a redundant seat belt type strap that backs up the lap bar in such a case as this?

It's basically a strap that is connected to the lap bar and it clips into/onto the ride vehicle itself after the car is loaded.

Sounds similar to the "SCAD tower" accident down the street that almost killed a young girl. Wisconsin Dells is not on my "bucket list" of coaster destinations. (RMCs are on that list instead.)

Nothing special about the Dells except some good water parks. The only coasters I enjoy there now (since the huge decline of Hades) are HellCat and Cyclops. Both are smaller and rough but pretty fun with great airtime. Nothing worth traveling long distances for though.

I'm not sure about the Mt Olympus mouse, but don't wild mouse coasters have a redundant seat belt type strap that backs up the lap bar in such a case as this?

It's basically a strap that is connected to the lap bar and it clips into/onto the ride vehicle itself after the car is loaded.

I've ridden a handful of these and haven't seen one that has that.

So basically nobody checked the lap bars before the train/car even left the station???? If it was broke on the test run in the am, what time did this guy ride. Was he the next person in said car or did other guests use the car before he got in?

^I'm thinking it's possible that the locking mechanism wasn't completely broken until enough people rode in it to loosen it the rest of the way. I bet the mechanics did a cursory inspection without looking at the mechanism at all, pulled up on each lap bar once, drank some coffee, and sent the car on its way.

After hearing the report about this accident, you can bet that I am concern because I plan to travel to Wisconsin Dells this summer and Mt. Olympus is on my list of places to visit. And when I do visit Mt. Olympus, I might decide not to ride their spinning mouse coaster unless I'm convince otherwise that its safe. I hope the poor man wakes up from his coma.

After hearing the report about this accident, you can bet that I am concern because I plan to travel to Wisconsin Dells this summer and Mt. Olympus is on my list of places to visit. And when I do visit Mt. Olympus, I might decide not to ride their spinning mouse coaster unless I'm convince otherwise that its safe. I hope the poor man wakes up from his coma.

I'd be pretty damn concerned about riding that "looping" wooden coaster of theirs. The Timberliners didn't feel overly secure to me last year, and the track has had an absolutely BRUTAL winter to suffer through.

It's obviously up to you but from someone who has been to the Dells dozens and dozens of times, I think you're better off just hanging around Six Flags Great America and the Chicago area unless you're stopping by there too. Downtown Dells has some nice shops along the strip but there's not a whole lot to do. If you're a water park person though, it's definitely worth a trip for Kalahari, Noah's Ark, and stuff. Timberfalls is also a decent little place with a nice log flume and wooden coaster.

I do pray that man will be alright though.

^^I think Timberliners must be more secure than they look. I know this probably isn't what you were referring to, but to me it always looked like the lap bars don't fully surround the bodies of some people. But obviously I know they've been tested extensively like any other train and are just fine for anyone permitted to ride.

^I always knew it was only a matter of time before this park had an accident with a coaster. We have been there only once, and while we had a great time, I don't foresee ever returning after this due to the nature of the accident. We live 15 minutes from SFGAm and have passes, so it's not like we are hurting for a park to go to.

Their problems don't lie within the dry rides exclusively. Their lifeguards are undertrained, understaffed, and under equipped. I've been there several times and have noticed at least one thing every time that leaves me feeling uneasy. Specifically, I was at the Mat slide up on the hill in the old family land section waiting for a friend when an older gentleman came off a slide. The gentleman splashed into the pool and was unresponsive. The lifeguard was not even paying attention. The man's daughter was screaming at the lifeguard, so he stood up, climbed down the platform, took his shoes off, took his shirt off, then went in attempt to rescue the man. So not only was he not properly scanning his zone, but he had absolutely no sense of urgency.

If you want to visit the park, fine. But if you have kids, please, please keep a close eye on them, or just avoid the place altogether.

It's a shame... Mt. Olympus has so much potential. And anywhere with something like Cyclops is worth a visit.

Despite never having stepped foot on the property, it appears that any of those three major woodies would be dramatically better in almost any other park. Between the uniqueness and intensity of both Hades 360 and Cyclops combined with the potentially fun airtime coaster that Zeus could be, there is a hidden threesome of amazing wooden coasters. Despite all of the hate going around about Hades 360, I deep down want to ride it just once to experience the uniqueness of that amazing layout. Heck, I even collected a bunch of Hades crap at IAAPA because I think the layout is so cool.

I'm not very familiar with the market aspects of that area, but perhaps Mt. Olympus doesn't try or care that much when it comes to comfort, service, and even safety because they really don't have much competition? It seems like they are busy enough and are not financially hurting to really see the need to be better. Not being pushed to always be on top can often result in thinking purely profit first before the guest experience.

I'm not very familiar with the market aspects of that area, but perhaps Mt. Olympus doesn't try or care that much when it comes to comfort, service, and even safety because they really don't have much competition? It seems like they are busy enough and are not financially hurting to really see the need to be better. Not being pushed to always be on top can often result in thinking purely profit first before the guest experience.

I reviewed this earlier in thread and don't feel like harping on it that much. If you manage to get yourself on the zoning board, change people's zonings to screw their expansion plans, then buy their brand new rides for pennies on the dollar after forcing their hand (which he did; some of those rides are in that "indoor theme park"), it is gonna be tough to push you to improve. You can believe me or not. Doesn't change what's true.

Despite never having stepped foot on the property, it appears that any of those three major woodies would be dramatically better in almost any other park. Between the uniqueness and intensity of both Hades 360 and Cyclops

There might be a catch-22 if those coasters were in another park. In any big park, Cyclops would have ratcheting lap bars, a re-profile of the drop and/or a complete stop before the drop - or all three of those.

I could see Hades doing real well in a place like Holiday World. They would run 3 trains, too There sure is enough time and track for 3 trains...

I don't think they ever test their rides before opening. I'm 100% sure our first train on Hades360 ERT was the first train of that day we visited. For those who wish to go there, Little Amerricka is better.

Hope that man will wake up from his coma.

Bay Beach is better than Mt. Olympus. At least they know wooden coasters can run 2 trains on purpose. I hope that man sues the park and I hope Mt. Olympus realizes the error of their ways.

Despite never having stepped foot on the property, it appears that any of those three major woodies would be dramatically better in almost any other park. Between the uniqueness and intensity of both Hades 360 and Cyclops

There might be a catch-22 if those coasters were in another park. In any big park, Cyclops would have ratcheting lap bars, a re-profile of the drop and/or a complete stop before the drop - or all three of those.

I could see Hades doing real well in a place like Holiday World. They would run 3 trains, too There sure is enough time and track for 3 trains...

Three trains? I would be happy with two trains.