TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Mt. Olympus Water & Theme Park Discussion Thread

Is Hades 360 an out and back or terrain coaster?

Very interesting question. I would classify it as an out and back as well. It does interact some with the terrain, but when I think of a terrain coaster, I think of Mindbender at SFOG. Mindbender stays low to the ground in most areas, utilizing the terrain. Hades does go underground, but it's not interacting with the shape of the land when it does that. It does, however, shoot out to the parking lot and then comes back in, therefore, "out and back."

As for the ride itself, I've never been on it - is it decent? I watched POVs on it both before and now after the video, and it seems like it would be fun until it hits the lift, and after that point it just seems dull. The corkscrew seems more interesting now than the amazingly slow hill that was there before, but not enough that it looks like a great ride. Are the videos deceiving?

As rough as it was, I thought it was incredible on the Mid America tour in 2010. All the directional changes and tiny hills underground make that whole part pretty intense. Hopefully it'll all be good as the new train breaks in more, and ideally the track will remain decent with the Timberliner.

and ideally the track will remain decent with the Timberliner.

But - the track is rough to start with. Other than the ending, the corkscrew, a few new pieces of lumber and running rails, I don't think there has been significant track work done. Not complaining, just being objective. The ride is still rough. Outstanding, but rough.

Maybe they need a greater variety of signs:

"Hades is feeling a bit bummed out today."

"Hades is really ticked off and is lashing out at the world today."

"Hades is drunk and feeling very erratic today."

That makes me angry to hear that the ride is still as rough as it was prior. I mean that's the thing about Hades when I visited last July. I mean the ride scared the hell out of me because I thought I was going to die, I could brace myself for anything like I would normally do on rough coasters because it was pitch black and it was my first time riding and i was unfamiliar with the layout underground. I was tossed around like a rag doll and my seat was jackhammering from the moment the train went down the first drop. The only decent seat was the first seat. If you are not in the front you are in for one HELL of a rough ride.

Hearing that the ride is still rough and seeing that you need ibuprofen is very disappointing.... I mean I borderline want to call this coaster a gimmick now because they are trying to use the corkscrew as a means to entice people to ride. However, the ride will easily loose its popularity due to its roughness. I was looking forward to them smoothing out this ride more than I was about the corkscrew because the ride was potentially great to begin with. It's full of potential. New trains will do nothing if you don't fix the track! I rather them shut the ride down and do the right thing than to rush an open the ride. I'm sure they saw how rough the ride is as they did their testing with the accelerometers. There's must've been a lot of noise in their data to show something was amiss.

However, the ride will easily loose its popularity due to its roughness.

But it won't. Even if the ride is still rough it's still the biggest coaster in the state and the only one that inverts. The GP will eat it up even more now. And while I am slightly disheartened to hear that is still rough, whats important is that even though it isn't butter smooth people are still wanting to get back on a ride again, which is not something that many enthusiasts thought of the previous Hades in it's later years.

And remember too, we have only heard from two people so far. And while I'm not doubting their reviews, everyone does react to rides differently so I am interested to hear the reviews after more people have ridden it and a general consensus has been formed.

However, the ride will easily loose its popularity due to its roughness.

Beat you to it, Robb!

It's a little disappointing that the coaster is still pretty rough. Does this mean that if Voyage ever gets its Timberliner trains, it won't improve the experience either?

Prior to now, I last rode Hades in 2011. It's not *that* rough. I think they may have tightened up whatever track was not replaced (I guess that's most of it.) Zues and Cyclops are very rough as well. I wish they would eventually start putting in topper track, little by little. A more comfortable ride (a funner ride, too) is better than claiming "traditional wood track." Just my opinion I haven't experienced topper track myself, but I've heard nothing but good reports. The seatbelts are gone today.

265115988_2013-05-2712_42_52.thumb.jpg.174157a1355f8dab947997aa241abab7.jpg

Prior to now, I last rode Hades in 2011. It's not *that* rough. I think they may have tightened up whatever track was not replaced (I guess that's most of it.) Zues and Cyclops are very rough as well. I wish they would eventually start putting in topper track, little by little. A more comfortable ride (a funner ride, too) is better than claiming "traditional wood track." Just my opinion I haven't experienced topper track myself, but I've heard nothing but good reports. The seatbelts are gone today.

I rode it in 2011 and only found it rough at the end and did not find it as rough as everyone says. I loved it! I thought Zeus was worse.

I'll be completely honest about this, from the moment that I heard the announcement that I was like 'are you kidding me', for starters I've been against Timbeliners from day 1 because I HATE how they look (one of my friends compared them to mutated go karts), and honestly I feel that they committed a crime with this because IMHO you should NEVER be able to add an invert to an existing woodie and keep it a woodie, the RMC iron horse treatment is another story (since it's now a steel coaster), and I know this place well, it's my home park afterall, which I'm ashamed to say, and the overbank feels absolutely unnecessary since it overshadows the 90 degree bank, and the name, really how original,

But the fact that apparently it's STILL rough just shows that they (IMHO) screwed up, but is Hades old train now on Cyclops? but to those of you who have been there, how are Zeus and Cyclops riding, not that I ever want to ride Zeus again (first ride was BRUTAL, and I regret riding it again the next year, DON'T RIDE ZEUS! NOT EVEN THE VERY FRONT IS ANY BETTER!), don't want to end of with an ACTUAL broken rib (though on the flip side, I might have a reason to sue the park then and force them to change the that they DESPERATELY need to do), but Cyclops is my current #1 after one ride that I'll never forget, and the only bad part on Cyclops for me at least is the bottom of the 'drop o death' :airtime:, and I want to know how it has fared since last season, and with Pegasus were the ONLY 2 good rides there last season :( , and BTW I also rode Hellcat last year, and THAT puts Zeus to shame in shear brutality that a ride could EVER give,

But with my 'rant' over, now what I'd do, well at least the gist of it since it would go on for damn near ever ;)

Have Rocky Mountain give Zeus the ol' iron horse treatment and give it the name Wrath of Zeus, change they layout have a barrel roll (now a steel hybrid, not a woodie) and give it an L shaped layout from the drop (I know that layout shape includes the lift, but it makes more sense to me in this case),

Add a few flat rides, an Intamin half-pipe (originally the Boomerang from Alabama's Adventure), add a Euro-Fighter, level the indoor theme park for a new GCI woodie, among MANY other things,

I think I will get banned from the site for this, which is sad because I should be allowed to have my own opinion here, and anyone is free to disagree with it. However, there has been a lot of talk on youtube around the Hades video and whether or not it is infact a wooden coaster, or a hybrid. Well, I just have to share a link that shows that Rocky Mountain Construction as a company does identify even some of their roller coasters as Hybrid. I feel Hades is a hybrid, others may agree, and others may not. I am not a moron for thinking this, I am not stupid for thinking this. I have an opinion. If you cut any of us, we bleed red. We are all entitled to our own thoughts and opinions, and this is a public place.

Here is the link.

http://www.rockymtnconstruction.com/rollercoasters/roller_coasters.html

^Pretty sure that voicing your opinion won't get you banned as long as it's presented in a nice, constructive manner; beating a dead horse, now that's a different story.

Fred has said he doesn't care what you call his coasters, as long as they are fun and exciting.

I think I will get banned from the site for this, which is sad because I should be allowed to have my own opinion here, and anyone is free to disagree with it. However, there has been a lot of talk on youtube around the Hades video and whether or not it is infact a wooden coaster, or a hybrid. Well, I just have to share a link that shows that Rocky Mountain Construction as a company does identify even some of their roller coasters as Hybrid. I feel Hades is a hybrid, others may agree, and others may not. I am not a moron for thinking this, I am not stupid for thinking this. I have an opinion. If you cut any of us, we bleed red. We are all entitled to our own thoughts and opinions, and this is a public place.

Here is the link.

I'm not sure that anyone would object to you having an opinion. I'm just not sure what this link is supposed to prove. So RMC considers some of their builds wood/hybrid/steel. What does that have to do with Gravity Group and Hades 360? And not to try to be mean about your opinion, but I have to disagree. Hades is very much a wooden roller coaster; it meets all of the basic criteria for a wooden roller coaster, the least of which being a completely wooden track. I don't want to dig really deeply into this, but I am curious as to why you developed an opinion that Hades 360 is a hybrid wooden/steel roller coaster.

I'll be completely honest about this, from the moment that I heard the announcement that I was like 'are you kidding me', for starters I've been against Timbeliners from day 1 because I HATE how they look (one of my friends compared them to mutated go karts), and honestly I feel that they committed a crime with this because IMHO you should NEVER be able to add an invert to an existing woodie and keep it a woodie, the RMC iron horse treatment is another story (since it's now a steel coaster), and I know this place well, it's my home park afterall, which I'm ashamed to say, and the overbank feels absolutely unnecessary since it overshadows the 90 degree bank, and the name, really how original,

But the fact that apparently it's STILL rough just shows that they (IMHO) screwed up, but is Hades old train now on Cyclops? but to those of you who have been there, how are Zeus and Cyclops riding, not that I ever want to ride Zeus again (first ride was BRUTAL, and I regret riding it again the next year, DON'T RIDE ZEUS! NOT EVEN THE VERY FRONT IS ANY BETTER!), don't want to end of with an ACTUAL broken rib (though on the flip side, I might have a reason to sue the park then and force them to change the that they DESPERATELY need to do), but Cyclops is my current #1 after one ride that I'll never forget, and the only bad part on Cyclops for me at least is the bottom of the 'drop o death' , and I want to know how it has fared since last season, and with Pegasus were the ONLY 2 good rides there last season , and BTW I also rode Hellcat last year, and THAT puts Zeus to shame in shear brutality that a ride could EVER give,

But with my 'rant' over, now what I'd do, well at least the gist of it since it would go on for damn near ever

Have Rocky Mountain give Zeus the ol' iron horse treatment and give it the name Wrath of Zeus, change they layout have a barrel roll (now a steel hybrid, not a woodie) and give it an L shaped layout from the drop (I know that layout shape includes the lift, but it makes more sense to me in this case),

Add a few flat rides, an Intamin half-pipe (originally the Boomerang from Alabama's Adventure), add a Euro-Fighter, level the indoor theme park for a new GCI woodie, among MANY other things,

Comparing Hades 360 to The Voyage, why is a ride only allowed one key maneuver? The overbanked turn rides so beautifully and does nothing to overshadow the 90 degree turn, it adds to the overall experience of the ride. The overbanked turn is actually my favorite part of the new addition. It was such an incredible way of changing directions when at high speed. It doesn't simply point you to the ground and turn; the ride starts at an upward angle, begins the turn, and the rotation happens about a fixed point with an invisible line being drawn about the riders spines to that fixed point for the entire maneuver. It's so beautiful I can't even comprehend what this will do for roller coasters of the future. Think of any huge B&M with a hammerhead turn where the riders bank towards the ground versus the air. This is the real beauty of Gravity Group's design. CORRECTION: I just remembered Leviathan as well as Diamondback does in fact have a downward facing hammerhead turn.

I do agree with you on most of the rest of what you said; Zeus needs an overhaul and so does Cyclops. The old Hades train is nowhere to be found and the Zeus backseat was out of commission today. The first drop on Pegasus was rebuilt, however.

Here is the link.

I'm not sure that anyone would object to you having an opinion. I'm just not sure what this link is supposed to prove. So RMC considers some of their builds wood/hybrid/steel. What does that have to do with Gravity Group and Hades 360? And not to try to be mean about your opinion, but I have to disagree. Hades is very much a wooden roller coaster; it meets all of the basic criteria for a wooden roller coaster, the least of which being a completely wooden track. I don't want to dig really deeply into this, but I am curious as to why you developed an opinion that Hades 360 is a hybrid wooden/steel roller coaster.

I did a lot of research online. I looked on several websites and everywhere that I have looked define a hybrid roller coaster by having different structural material from track material. I saw someone had said that hybrid was a term six flags had come up with, but it isn't. Coaster design companies also consider Hybrid coasters to have one structure material, and a different track material. So I guess I don't understand how just the track is the deciding factor for what kind of roller coaster. I thought it was decided by the roller coaster as a whole!?

The Mt. Olympus website is advertising Hades 360 as the world's first upside-down roller coaster.

Okay, I'm sorry, but this is ridiculous. It is the third inverting wooden coaster, after Son of Beast and Outlaw Run.

I let Outlaw Run's same advertisement slide, because SOB had already been closed for a few years.

But the fact that apparently it's STILL rough just shows that they (IMHO) screwed up, but is Hades old train now on Cyclops? but to those of you who have been there, how are Zeus and Cyclops riding, not that I ever want to ride Zeus again (first ride was BRUTAL, and I regret riding it again the next year, DON'T RIDE ZEUS! NOT EVEN THE VERY FRONT IS ANY BETTER!), don't want to end of with an ACTUAL broken rib (though on the flip side, I might have a reason to sue the park then and force them to change the that they DESPERATELY need to do), but Cyclops is my current #1 after one ride that I'll never forget, and the only bad part on Cyclops for me at least is the bottom of the 'drop o death' , and I want to know how it has fared since last season, and with Pegasus were the ONLY 2 good rides there last season , and BTW I also rode Hellcat last year, and THAT puts Zeus to shame in shear brutality that a ride could EVER give,

But with my 'rant' over, now what I'd do, well at least the gist of it since it would go on for damn near ever

I feel like this is one big, long, run-on sentence! I have tried reading it several times and all I get out of it is confusion and a headache.

Here is the link.

I'm not having this stupid discussion on my forums.

Hades 360 is a wood coaster.

End of discussion.

Mitch Hawker doesn't have a "hybrid" coaster poll. RCDB doesn't have a "hybrid" coaster type. Amusement today doesn't have a "hybrid" golden ticket. If you want to call it a "hybrid" coaster, fine. Don't call it that here. And yes, I will ban you if you continue to argue it. It's not a matter of opinion, who is right or wrong, it's simply that I don't want this discussion on our forums and if you can't respect that, I don't want you as a member of this site.

Understood?

Thanks.

--Robb "If you have to ask if you're gonna get banned for posting something, you probably already know you shouldn't be posting it." Alvey

ps. This is not a "public place!!!!" This is my own personal website that you had to agree to a terms of service in order to join. So don't try to pull that "It's a public forum and I can say whatever I want to and if I can't then Alvey is a bad guy" bull-shit, ok? Got it? Are we clear now? Good!

Edited by robbalvey

It's nice that they managed to boost the capacity a little (no more seatbelts and an extra 4 seats per train) but I really wish that they would try to make the Timberliners look a little better than that ugly, glossy plastic that will inevitably look like crap in a few years.

They look very comfortable!