TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Mt. Olympus Water & Theme Park Discussion Thread

They've only had trains for a week and they're already going to let people on it? Is that safe?

White Lightning made it's first test run essentially a week before it opened to the public. It just depends on how much testing they are able to get done in that time frame, if the state approves it, etc.

Ha! A week would be impossible for something like an Intamin rocket. It took something like a month to test Kingda Ka. I have to hand it to them, though. Working out the problems in the hydraulics and everything must have been a huge headache.

The new POV makes the ride look really good. I'm still a little scared, though. Before the renovation, the last half of that ride was probably the roughest experience I've had in my life.

Only seen about 3 trainloads waiting - about 20 mins - but there are multiple noodle checks before dispatches. When I left around noon, plenty of folks were still coming in the park. Had to go eat, naptime now. Cyclops is still my fav here, but sadly, a few seats have burned out solenoids (maintenance was working on it when I left), and in the 2nd to backseat, the lapbar has been removed. Update: later in the day, other than 2nd to back, all other seats were open. Including the coveted very back

Edited by GayCoasterGuy

It's interesting to see from the video where the track changes style from your traditional woodie track to something that looks more like "topper track" for the inversion and the overbank...

1.thumb.jpg.08f6db62e02e3636981931dbc9612fb0.jpg

2.thumb.jpg.a646c0d3ee2cb9d7f36949eb27b27e92.jpg

3.thumb.jpg.40c5ee4b1e9555b9f9a463648db71a87.jpg

1186997552_TGG_looping_trackdifferences.thumb.jpg.1322c3bfa883c0314e4e70100ba83ca8.jpg

Interesting. In theory shouldn't the bit of new track make the trains go a tiny bit faster as it probably creates less drag than the old one? Because, from the pov it looks like it is goes as fast as it did before (although that might be the result of an empty train).

I'm in the Chicago area and will be riding Hades 360 tomorrow. I'll be sure to fill you all in on my thoughts about the smoothness of the new track versus the old track (Wait, it's all new track. How about the traditional track versus the new style track? ). I'll also observe how fast the ride operators are moving people through, especially since there's only one train.

It really makes me sad that so much emphasis was put on bringing Hades up to speed but Cyclops is continually pushed to the wayside. If anything needs some serious TLC it's Cyclops. Zeus has been getting to that point, too.

The ride is a lot of fun. I loved the going hands up through the corkscrew.

Here is a picture of the wider steel track used for the corkscrew section plus a couple other random pictures I took.

IMG_20130526_122308.thumb.jpg.da1f69ae7381f8e0c07ea06a9e34bf73.jpg

IMG_20130526_122026.thumb.jpg.1a8a94c1bbd5c020b759382794cf8ef6.jpg

Upside down

IMG_20130526_111822.thumb.jpg.24446feb451974a0b29bcc02ad117ebb.jpg

Yup, still aggressive.

IMG_20130526_122423.thumb.jpg.3603189bc54140dd176aa0022f128dc4.jpg

Standing under it.

IMG_20130526_111433.thumb.jpg.f672fa561bb0deaa242051cba14b260f.jpg

Timberliners

Is there ever a day in which Hades is not "aggressive"? Do they have a sign that says, "Hades is feeling rather mellow today"?

Edited by cfc

I'll also observe how fast the ride operators are moving people through, especially since there's only one train.

Very slow today. Please note that the GG guys were around checking things as well as the ride-ops. One of my rides they had everyone in and the person behind me complained that he stapled himself. They released everyone and started over. They were also committed to a full train today which is good and bad. They spent way too much time looking for singles, pairing up singles after seated, then trying to fill the empty seat with a pair that wasn't riding with another pair. My last ride today, I was only a third of the way up the steps, when they called down for a single, I took it and ran up the steps to a second to last car seat, that worked out good for me.

^ They've been committed to a full train for a few years now. No idea why, and it's only on Hades, but they won't run it even if one seat is empty. As you said, it's both good and bad.

Anything else change with the conversion like a bigger queue, new sign, etc? Any re-tracking on the other woodies?

^^Great pictures! The ride is still rough, except for the cork. Went back after a long nap and caught a second wind. Then the ride kept getting better! Stayed til close ending with a front seat ride. It got so good, I think ill go back tomorrow instead of heading back to Chicago in the morn. Timberliners are interesting; the lap bar is more comfy than either PTC ratchets or GCI t-bars. I can only imagine how great they would be on a new ride. Or one that has had major track work.

So does Hades 360 count as a new credit? Lol.

It's a hard call. While its a significant change, not enough of the track has changed for me personally to consider it a new credit. Did people consider Chiller a new credit after they removed an inversion? How many feet of track was actually changed? If its less than 1/4 I'm not sure I could count that.

But then again, there are no rules for counting coasters and I've seen people count cycle monorails that coast for 5 seconds, so knock yourself out!

Edited by robbalvey

Given Hades history of stalling out and seeing the way the new train is pacing by the end of the ride I'm guessing the no empty seat rule is to decrease the chances of the ride getting stuck. Heavy train means less slowing down throughout the course.

So does Hades 360 count as a new credit? Lol. Looks okay though. Does it really improve the ride at all though?

To me, no it wouldn't be. Iron Rattler I would consider a new credit with the ride getting a whole new type of track and its major reprofile. But like Robb said if you think its worth it to you then count it. But I wouldn't!

Given Hades history of stalling out and seeing the way the new train is pacing by the end of the ride I'm guessing the no empty seat rule is to decrease the chances of the ride getting stuck. Heavy train means less slowing down throughout the course.

Yup, that's my guess too. Force the ride to be full and there is a far better chance it won't stall out.

As for the ride itself, I've never been on it - is it decent? I watched POVs on it both before and now after the video, and it seems like it would be fun until it hits the lift, and after that point it just seems dull. The corkscrew seems more interesting now than the amazingly slow hill that was there before, but not enough that it looks like a great ride. Are the videos deceiving?

So does Hades 360 count as a new credit? Lol. Looks okay though. Does it really improve the ride at all though?

To me, no it wouldn't be. Iron Rattler I would consider a new credit with the ride getting a whole new type of track and its major reprofile. But like Robb said if you think its worth it to you then count it. But I wouldn't!

I actually wasn't asking for myself I was just wondering if people who had ridden it as Hades and Hades 360 counted it as one or two. I didn't ride Hades, but I may make it out there for Hades 360 in 2014.

I would classify it as more of an out and back. The station is built high off the ground which is why you have that drop out of the station. If I recall, it was not built on top of a hill. I liked the original Hades (I never rode it when it got super rough). The new track element certainly helps the coaster maintain it's speed through that section of the ride. Before it used to really slow down when the train emerged from the first tunnel as it headed up an incline. I believe it was in this area that they used to have valley problems.