TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Mt. Olympus Water & Theme Park Discussion Thread

To be fair, it was Gravity Group's first roller coaster outside CCI so there was some learning to be done. A lot of CCIs actually crawl over one or two hills or turns in their layouts, and some Gravity Group rides carry that element over (Hades, Boardwalk Bullet). You can see that they clearly learned to lower their hills after this one - though why they didn't for Bullet is beyond me.

Yeah, Gravity Group has made a lot of [apparently] great rides over the years, and I'm willing to give them the "this was their first time" pass. I'm glad that the corkbarrelrollscrewthingie will fix the issue. But I still think that the station and brake run design is the weirdest thing ever.

I'm pretty sure that hill was that tall that if it happened that the train stalled at that point it was guaranteed that it would have enough energy to get back to the station, especially seeing that it's so high of the ground.

To be fair, it was Gravity Group's first roller coaster outside CCI so there was some learning to be done. A lot of CCIs actually crawl over one or two hills or turns in their layouts, and some Gravity Group rides carry that element over (Hades, Boardwalk Bullet). You can see that they clearly learned to lower their hills after this one - though why they didn't for Bullet is beyond me.

Yeah, Gravity Group has made a lot of [apparently] great rides over the years, and I'm willing to give them the "this was their first time" pass. I'm glad that the corkbarrelrollscrewthingie will fix the issue. But I still think that the station and brake run design is the weirdest thing ever.

Agreed. I always wonder why Mount Olympus offsets their brake runs and stations the way they do. It's like they just *want* to have an excuse not to be able to have a transfer and an extra train, at least on Hades.

That's the curiosity of this all. We point and laugh (or weep) at those truly remarkable people who should be required by law to walk around with a safety helmet, knee pads, and safety mittens because they will find someone or something to sue when a stiff breeze on a cool day causes them "intense physical discomfort and emotional trauma", but then point and laugh at Mt. O for not building electrified fencing topped with barbed wire, a moat, and prison style watchtowers manned with armed guards to keep you away from some dirt. Anyone capable of breathing on their own should be able to navigate a construction site without getting killed or maimed, otherwise, the gene pool is in even worse shape than anyone could have imagined or would care to know.

Hmmmm! I didn't see anyone questioning the lack of anything more than a simple fence.

^ No, no one is here, I just took the chance the conversation afforded me to mention something that seems to happen in everyday life more often as time goes on. "Stupid-proofing" has become the norm and something we've become conditioned to expect, so we tend to notice things that haven't been stupid-proofed almost immediately.

Cool!

Wish I could get to Wisconsin this year

File this one under "things that have never been said before"...

I know right. The power of a roller coaster. And might as well get drunk off beer and cheese while there.

^ No, no one is here, I just took the chance the conversation afforded me to mention something that seems to happen in everyday life more often as time goes on. "Stupid-proofing" has become the norm and something we've become conditioned to expect, so we tend to notice things that haven't been stupid-proofed almost immediately.

I don't think securing a construction site is the definition of idiot proof...if you were the foreman of this project, you'd want fences around it too. You need to be able to control your worksite, to make sure materials aren't getting stolen and to make sure the people on your site know what they are doing/where they should be/etc. to avoid any stupid accidents.

^^ Hey now, Wisconsin is pretty sweet. We're all friendly up here and you guys are more than welcome to visit any time. In addition, we have cheese, we have snow, we have cows, we have snow, we have beer, we have snow... What more incentive could you possibly want?

And back to Hades, the roll is looking very cool and has me hoping that the weather stays nice enough so they can finish the ride in the near future. It should definitely be a unique experience and I am excited.

And does anyone want to make the trip up to try it out when it opens? Anyone??? Come on, being the LoneRider all the time gets kinda tiresome! A riding partner would be nice.

I guess I'll head up to Mount Olympus this summer when I'm up in Chicago visiting family. I have yet to get all them credits up there. I also have to get an X-Flight credit. Well, better begin planning my graduation trip then!

Whenever it opens, this should be a pretty killer ride! Nearly 80% of the ride is being retracked this year outside of the corkscrew addition. There is also lots retracking on their other wooden coasters. Should be a good year for Mt. Olympus!

I wouldn't say a good year, more like a good first few weeks before everything starts to go downhill.

Whenever it opens, this should be a pretty killer ride! Nearly 80% of the ride is being retracked this year outside of the corkscrew addition. There is also lots retracking on their other wooden coasters. Should be a good year for Mt. Olympus!

I wouldn't say a good year, more like a good first few weeks before everything starts to go downhill.

Yea that corkroll looks like part of a mobile carnival ride. I give them credit for trying it, but i just cant see this working out

While the giant corkscrew looks incredible, scary, and unique, I was looking forward to riding Hades as a "regular" wooden coaster. It looked really fun. I think a giant corkscrew like this is going to scare off the riders who don't like inversions, while I don't think it's really going to gain anyone new. Anyone at Mount Olympus that is looking for thrilling coasters would be riding Hades anyway. Just my two cents. I still think it looks awesome.

I'm betting on opening day by like 3pm is when everything fails.

I'm betting on opening day by like 3pm is when everything fails.

You're being too generous

• 2 weeks later...