TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Mt. Olympus Water & Theme Park Discussion Thread

I can blame it on the use of PTC's. Since Timberliners are a rescent invention, no one has any idea yet how long it takes for timberliners to tear up a coaster, but it is probably not too far off from most GCI's. PTC's even manage to mangle the tracks on smaller wood coasters. Because of them, Lake Compunce's Wildcat has required some major renovations, and even Blue Streak was running terribly rough when I visited in 2011.

and even Blue Streak was running terribly rough when I visited in 2011.

Blue Streak ran GREAT until the PTC chop-job on the trains. It very rarely needed trackworkd with the "original" trains in classic form; aside from some bolt tightening here and there - its was a very low maintenance ride. Look at it now, with all that extra wood and steel (!?) in the structure. The old coaster formulae were made with a certain weight train... the PTC 'upgrade' trains with all their extra weight (and weight distribution) have completely torn the ride apart. Although BS is still very popular - it's a COMPLETELY different ride experience than it was when it was still "classic."

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like work has started

Source:

Demolition on Hades has begun. This photo from early December 2012 shows track and structure removed from the turn-around on Hades in preparation for Hades 360.

The structure in the turn-around on Hades has been removed in preparation for Hades 360.

Blue Streak ran GREAT until the PTC chop-job on the trains. It very rarely needed trackworkd with the "original" trains in classic form; aside from some bolt tightening here and there - its was a very low maintenance ride. Look at it now, with all that extra wood and steel (!?) in the structure. The old coaster formulae were made with a certain weight train... the PTC 'upgrade' trains with all their extra weight (and weight distribution) have completely torn the ride apart. Although BS is still very popular - it's a COMPLETELY different ride experience than it was when it was still "classic."

I wish I could have ridden Blue Streak before 1995(?) when the renovations happened. But the ride still has amazing airtime today, I can only imagine what it must have been like.

Remembering my last ride on Hades, I am actually a little scared about doing it again, but with a loop! I'll just make sure to give my health insurance information to all the local hospitals and Chiropractor's just in case!

Remembering my last ride on Hades, I am actually a little scared about doing it again, but with a loop! I'll just make sure to give my health insurance information to all the local hospitals and Chiropractor's just in case!

In addition to all Dells-area hotels/motels, Mt. O bought out all of the local hospitals and chiropractors, and IIRC they only accept Mt. O insurance policyholders. You can apply at Guest Services.

Did I miss something here? They're saying that it will be the first inverting wooden coaster...

Does this mean that it will open before Outlaw Run?

Did I miss something here? They're saying that it will be the first inverting wooden coaster...

Does this mean that it will open before Outlaw Run?

Nooo, they are trying to claim Outlaw Run isn't a true wooden coaster.

How Ironic that they would state that. Hades is a hybrid, meaning it is not "all-wood".

^ There's a difference between all wood and true wood. Hades is a "true" wooden coaster because of the track. Supports don't decide whether a coaster is wood or steel. Even though Hades isn't all wood because of it's steel supports, the track is still normal wood coaster track. Either way the whole argument is stupid, especially because Mount Olympus already has enough to market with this being the first coaster of any kind in Wisconsin to go upside down. That alone will be enough to advertise the ride. If WI already had 20 inverting coasters, then I would understand pushing the wood aspect of it.

^ There's a difference between all wood and true wood. Hades is a "true" wooden coaster because of the track. Supports don't decide whether a coaster is wood or steel. Even though Hades isn't all wood because of it's steel supports, the track is still normal wood coaster track. Either way the whole argument is stupid, especially because Mount Olympus already has enough to market with this being the first coaster of any kind in Wisconsin to go upside down. That alone will be enough to advertise the ride. If WI already had 20 inverting coasters, then I would understand pushing the wood aspect of it.

I agree with the whole wood vs. steel argument, it's petty. What I was getting at was the "all wood" statement. Yes, it is a wooden coaster, just not "all wooden"-which is whats advertised

• 1 month later...

Forgive my massive n00bness...this is just having the hill after the first tunnel replaced with the barrel roll right? The rest fo the layout will be exactly the same?

Is this getting the topper track or any of those things? Seemed like a pretty sweet ride, would hate for it to be tinkered too much.

Also if it doesn't become a "hybrid" coaster of the new RMC style it wont technically be a new ride, unlike Iron Rattler and NTG

I believe there's a change to a 110 degree turn after the roll if I'm not mistaken. It's in the press release, but I don't know if that's actually part of the original coaster or not.

The track is going to be built completely traditional, meaning the whole track is wood, minus the strips of track steel that the wheels ride along on. Difference with toppler track is that it replaces the top layers of wood with steel rail.

I'm disappointed that this is still only going to run 1 train. Was hoping maybe a 2nd one would of been added with the change to Timberliners. Maybe I'll get a chance to head over there this year.

Forgive my massive n00bness...this is just having the hill after the first tunnel replaced with the barrel roll right? The rest fo the layout will be exactly the same?

Is this getting the topper track or any of those things? Seemed like a pretty sweet ride, would hate for it to be tinkered too much.

Also if it doesn't become a "hybrid" coaster of the new RMC style it wont technically be a new ride, unlike Iron Rattler and NTAG

From this video, you can see that it is the hill after the first tunnel becoming the barrel roll and that it will have traditional wooden track in the barrel roll.

I believe there's a change to a 110 degree turn after the roll if I'm not mistaken. It's in the press release, but I don't know if that's actually part of the original coaster or not.

The track is going to be built completely traditional, meaning the whole track is wood, minus the strips of track steel that the wheels ride along on. Difference with toppler track is that it replaces the top layers of wood with steel rail.

I'm disappointed that this is still only going to run 1 train. Was hoping maybe a 2nd one would of been added with the change to Timberliners. Maybe I'll get a chance to head over there this year.

So keeping the traditional wood and layout, but with a few changes and improved trains?

Awesome! Now just need a reason to go to Wisconsin

And thanks XYZ, just work blocks youtube so I can't actually see the link right now. Thank goodness they don't know/care about TPR!

• 2 weeks later...

The coaster has no transfer so it would be forced to run two trains at all times. I'm also not sure if there is any blocks besides the lift so it could make two train operation difficult if not impossible.

With the not-so-enthusiastic operations I think two train operation would result in constant stacking.