TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Mt. Olympus Water & Theme Park Discussion Thread

I got a room for four, and admission for four to the park for around $90.

Wait...you’re saying you got admission to the park, including coasters—for 4 people—plus a hotel room—for 4 people...for $90??? TOTAL??

^^Yup, DBru! That's exactly what I'm saying! And if I'd have acted quicker, instead of dragging my feet waiting to see how reviews of the first weekend it was open went, I had an opportunity to stay in one of their nicer themed rooms, for two nights, with admission covering everybody up to three days, for around $150 total. But the price for the themed rooms had gone up by the time I booked after Opening Weekend. Our room was one of their more standard hotel rooms, one of their cheapest offerings. And the way admission works, you get admission free the day you're scheduled to check in, AND the day you're scheduled to check out. So, one night stay is two days at the park, two nights is three days, etc... Now, we didn't even stay the whole day, the day we checked out (we got to the hotel just after the park closed the day we arrived), so that may or may not be super useful. But yeah, it was an amazing deal, and one I certainly couldn't pass up!

Cyclops saves that park in my eyes. I don't know how it still runs and how it never killed anyone but it's a great ride. I'm guessing part of your better experience than average is due to smaller crowds and more dedicated employees. Thanks for the trip report!

Glad you liked the TR! And yes, I agree that crowd size was definitely a contributing factor in our enjoyment of it. It was a perfect size crowd, for the size of the park. Any more crowded, and I think the luster would have worn off of it, especially waiting for coasters that second time around, after more people had entered the park. As it was, Hades was over a half hour wait the second time, including a shut-down for what I believe was a protein spill. Both Zeus and Cyclops were around 10-15 minute waits the second time around. If the park had been packed with people, I could definitely see feeling like it wasn't worth it.

As for Cyclops, I can't believe it never killed anybody either, especially as it was previously! But I was super impressed with it, and normally I dock a coaster for being super short, but with that one, it packed such a tremendous punch into its diminutive layout, I didn't even care!

^Yeah, I saw that just now! Funny thing is, I don't think that option was there last week. But I could be wrong. They had a pay now, or pay later option when I made the reservation, and I got the discount by paying in advance. Still, it looks like they've jumped prices up considerably since then, so I'm glad I decided to go early. Still, the price you pay is all inclusive, including parking, so in the end, it still seems like a pretty good deal, especially if you're bringing a group.

I booked my stay june 20th. I am traveling alone this time if anyone wanted to meet up and ride some coasters with me

Tempting... Very tempting...

I've only been to Mt. Olympus once but honestly had a pretty good time there. My visit was pre-Hades 360, probably around 2006 or 2007 when it was still fairly new and it was pretty incredible. I remember enjoying all of the wooden coasters as they were all pretty smooth and ride able at the time. If i recall we stayed in their resort for the night and the indoor/outdoor water park was pretty decent. I'd love to go back some day with my kids, feel like they'd love it. Nice report, always nice to see a positive experience from a place that seems to get mostly negative reviews.

Maybe this is just a bad photo from the Mt. Olympus website, but it almost looks like the headboards for the bed are painted onto the wall rather than actually being there. Is that an optical illusion or do they really do that?

MTO.JPG.35fee3866df2bc83855eadbaae8aae1e.JPG

Credit: Mt. Olympus Website

So, maybe some people can help with this. I'm looking at visiting sometime in July, so I'm looking into booking our stay right now. I've read many reviews and experiences from people who have said that staying in Hotel Rome will be your best shot at getting a decent room that doesn't run the risk of being run down, dirty, or have bed bugs. But, maybe I'm missing something, how can you tell what property your reserving a room for? Do we even get a choice? Their website does make it sound like Hotel Rome is completely separate from the rest of their properties in the area, but looking at their rooms or trying to reserve one, it doesn't seem to specify whether its at Hotel Rome or the other Mt. Olympus Resort properties. Just guessing, are the "themed" rooms located at Hotel Rome? They seem significantly nicer from the photos I've seen compared to the standard rooms that I assume are just the Mt. Olympus Resorts rooms.

Mt Olympus seems to change how they describe their rooms a lot. At the moment, they break it down between 'Rooms 0 to 1 minute to the park' (which cost more, and I suspect that's the Hotel Rome based on price and location) and 'rooms 2 to 5 minutes to the park', which would be everything else. And, yes, the Hotel Rome is much nicer. It's still not great (it's Mt Olympus after all), but it at one point was it's own resort hotel and is right stfched to things, the others just old motels with all on-site amenities taken out by Mt Olympus.

Mt Olympus seems to change how they describe their rooms a lot. At the moment, they break it down between 'Rooms 0 to 1 minute to the park' (which cost more, and I suspect that's the Hotel Rome based on price and location) and 'rooms 2 to 5 minutes to the park', which would be everything else. And, yes, the Hotel Rome is much nicer. It's still not great (it's Mt Olympus after all), but it at one point was it's own resort hotel and is right stfched to things, the others just old motels with all on-site amenities taken out by Mt Olympus.

Yeah, that's just what I figured out. I still find it odd that they wouldn't specify what is what more directly, but after reading what their website says, it's starting to make more sense. I'm certainly not expecting anything luxurious (duh, its Mt. Olympus after all), but after looking at some photos and room tour vids on youtube, It doesn't seem to be as downright sketchy as the other buildings. It still has some mixed reviews like the other properties, but the newer reviews seem to be notably more positive than older ones.

^Yeah, I saw that just now! Funny thing is, I don't think that option was there last week. But I could be wrong. They had a pay now, or pay later option when I made the reservation, and I got the discount by paying in advance. Still, it looks like they've jumped prices up considerably since then, so I'm glad I decided to go early. Still, the price you pay is all inclusive, including parking, so in the end, it still seems like a pretty good deal, especially if you're bringing a group.

I booked my stay june 20th. I am traveling alone this time if anyone wanted to meet up and ride some coasters with me

What better excuse will you ever have to check out mt Olympus

I'm certainly not expecting anything luxurious (duh, its Mt. Olympus after all), but after looking at some photos and room tour vids on youtube, It doesn't seem to be as downright sketchy as the other buildings. It still has some mixed reviews like the other properties, but the newer reviews seem to be notably more positive than older ones.

FWIW, we stayed in the "Value Room", the cheapest they had, which was just a basic hotel room, with few frills, and found it perfectly acceptable. None of us are super picky about hotels, and I love to save money, but it was nicer than the Red Roof Inn we stayed at later in the trip, and I thought it was a steal for the price, and getting admission to the park included.

What better excuse will you ever have to check out mt Olympus

Well, I just went a couple weekends ago (I actually wrote a mini-TR here about it), but yeah, I really liked it, so I'd consider going again!

Mt. Olympus is also very tempting for me! Also, nearby Little-a-Merrick-A opens on Saturday (6/13) and the Badger starts its season on Friday (I'm 30 minutes from the east end of the Badger)

I am extremely bummed but I just canceled my trip. Its supposed to thunderstorm all day Saturday. I contacted the park and they said they close the park if there is a thunderstorm and if the radar shows more thunder they will not reopen. I don't to travel all that way to not ride Hades or the other rides.

Mt. Olympus is also very tempting for me! Also, nearby Little-a-Merrick-A opens on Saturday (6/13) and the Badger starts its season on Friday (I'm 30 minutes from the east end of the Badger)

Little-A-Merrick-A rocks. A guaranteed fun time! I spent more time there last year in one day than I did all year at Great America. Shame how things change. I'll be heading there as well as Bay Beach (another true gem) soon!

Sad too that I haven't wanted to go to Mt. Olympus is years. That park used to be fun - Cyclops was always in my top 10 (haven't rode it with the new ratchet bars and slightly re-plrofiled drop-o-death.)

• 10 months later...

I contacted the park and they told me that all the rides would be open in the indoor water and theme park, but "only selected rides are usually open in the outdoors and its weather permitting. We cannot tell yet what rides will be open at the outdoor for that day as we also get those information within the day as well". A little confused, I responded back asking if they try to have all rides open and they replied "If the weather is nice, coasters and go karts will be open but the whole outdoor park will be fully open memorial day". So not sure if they are just going to pick and choose what to operate..? I still plan on going, I'll update afterwards.