TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Mt. Olympus Water & Theme Park Discussion Thread

I decided to spend the afternoon at BGT and took a spin on Gwazi - thought about the Hades news after the ride. Gwazi was crap with PTCs, saw a major retracking about 6-12 months prior to the MFs being added, and then received decent about of retracking about 6-12 months after being added. The ride is still brutal - on newly retracked areas too. The interview with Alan from RMCC and the comment that you can't just switch trains makes me wonder (I work in marketing, I'm not an engineer so forgive me if this is stupid) is there more to it then retracking to get desired results from a new type of train? Does the structure have to change from a difference in forces?

^It's a little more than that. The foundations that the ride sits on can settle (move) as the coaster ages, which can result in potholes. Chad Miller from GG touches on this during a Voyage-retracking video that Holiday World made at the beginning of the year. There are probably a few more variables that I'm unaware of as well. A way to remedy this is to adjust the ledgers that support the track.

Edited by SFOGdude25

I decided to spend the afternoon at BGT and took a spin on Gwazi - thought about the Hades news after the ride. Gwazi was crap with PTCs, saw a major retracking about 6-12 months prior to the MFs being added, and then received decent about of retracking about 6-12 months after being added. The ride is still brutal - on newly retracked areas too. The interview with Alan from RMCC and the comment that you can't just switch trains makes me wonder (I work in marketing, I'm not an engineer so forgive me if this is stupid) is there more to it then retracking to get desired results from a new type of train? Does the structure have to change from a difference in forces?

If re-tracking and new trains don't help.....seems to be structural issues there.

^Well now we might see something like the inverted cross-over stuff that is on Dueling Dragons (Dragon Challenge) at Universal IOA

but opposite and not inverted ... All this new inversion/loop/upside-down stuff on woodies (hybrids, etc.) has really opened up the door to a whole new realm of exciting possibilities.

(On a side note - I always kinda thought Mind Bender at SFOG was like a "smooth woodie with loops" - with all it's air time and laterals. But I'm a total geek for that ride.)

^Well now we might see something like the inverted cross-over stuff that is on Dueling Dragons (Dragon Challenge) at Universal IOA

It's a great idea, but considering that Dragon Challenge's trains no longer cross over each other at that point (or duel at all), I don't think it's necessary.

Why? Because United States.

Mr. Freeze is listed in RCDB as a one-inversion coaster.

Yeah, and so is Iron Shark.

Also, NTAG and iRat are both listed as the SAME COASTER as the older, wooden versions of each ride.

RCDB is a great tool when you want to find out where coasters are, see pics of them, and plan a trip.... but I've learned not to take it as gospel when finding out specifics about a ride.

I'm on the "only if it's a super, major change" side. I'd only count a modification as a new credit if it was highly significant, such as Steel Phantom/Phantom's Revenge, Texas Giant/New Texas Giant and Rattler/Iron Rattler where the entire layouts were completely changed. With Hades, changing one element will definitely change the ride experience, but not enough to warrant a whole new credit IMO.

^ Would you count something like Magnum where that one hill was lowered and such? Where do you draw the line between reprofiled and new?

That would be like counting I305 twice--once before and once after the reprofiling.

In the case of Hades, I vote "no"; then again, I do count Knott's Motorcycle Chase and Wacky Soapbox Racers as two credits . . . hmm . . .

Hmm, so if a coaster gets reprofiled and a new train, then it's a new credit? Many a wood coaster could then be counted numerous times. The reprofiling and new trains on SFNE's Cyclone made it suck, so I guess I should count it twice?

Back on topic, I'm still not expecting this to be any good, at least in the long run. In my opinion Gravity Groups rides destroy themselves, making me suspect its a support design issue.

Edited by Moose

^ Would you count something like Magnum where that one hill was lowered and such? Where do you draw the line between reprofiled and new?

I wouldn't have considered that a major reprofile, nor would I could the 305 as a major one. However, adding/taking away an entire inversion is something major, especially on a wooden coaster. Which brings to mind Drachen Fire. Anyone ride both versions? Do you count both?

Back on topic, I'm still not expecting this to be any good, at least in the long run. In my opinion Gravity Groups rides destroy themselves, making me suspect its a support design issue.

Are you basing that on CCI designs too? If not, I'm just curious what of theirs isn't holding up. Admittedly, I have been on only the Zippin Pippin rebuild, but that thing was an amazing surprise. I was under the impression from others that basically everything *except* Hades of theirs has been holding up pretty well, but I make no claims to being right on that.

^Voyage has been steadily getting rougher over the years, and they even rebuilt the spaghetti bowl turn around because of it. Ravine Flyer II has held up quite well over time, and the last time I rode it in 2011, it was still very smooth. Boardwalk Bullet has had to go through a lot of corrective maintenance, but from my understanding, that was because M&V bungled the construction in the first place. TGG just makes some extremely aggressive rides, and just like early GCIs, the PTC trains tear the track to shreds on those rides.