TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

NEWS: Apex Parks Group permanently closes Fantasy Island

It has been announced that Fantasy Island (formerly Martin's Fantasy Island) has officially closed, alongside Indiana Beach, which the Apex Parks Group also owns. The park opened in 1961 with its final operation in 2019.

imgp1173.jpg.f953de6f4f3b9edd16eac0534518ffd9.jpg

https://www.niagara-gazette.com/news/local_news/it-s-official-fantasy-island-has-closed/article_740ebb4e-73d0-5d58-8856-3ada335c9022.html

Longtime supporters of Fantasy Island had their worst fears confirmed on Wednesday as representatives from the amusement park announced the permanent closure of the Grand Island mainstay.

Multiple local media outlets reported on the possibility of the park's closure on Tuesday.

On Wednesday, a company spokesperson made it official, issuing a statement indicating that, despite efforts to invest in the park's infrastructure, operating results were not realized to the point where management could continue to operate.

The statement indicated that park management did not take the decision lightly and recommended that guests with any questions visit the Fantasy Island website at http://www.fantasyislandny.com for answers to commonly asked questions.

A note on Fantasy Island's Facebook page reads: "Regrettably, Fantasy Island is closing and ceasing operations. We are grateful for the many years we’ve had together and appreciate your support and patronage."

The Niagara Gazette will provide more information about the park's closure as it is made available.

The company that owns Fantasy Island amusement park is planning on selling off some rides according to an industry report.

Grand Island Town Supervisor John Whitney tells WGRZ that it appears the amusement park will close.

The Apex Parks Group has also closed Indiana Beach and the rides from that location are expected to be relocated or sold.

Edited by jedimaster1227

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I guess I am glad I visited a few years ago on a whim. Didn't think much of it at the time. Got in for dirt cheap though.

The rides side of the park wasn't too crowded, really. But it was not a ghost town, by any means. Silver Comet was a fine ride! And the water park looked to be a big hit. Maybe they would keep the wet side open?

We went to Fantasy Island last year and really enjoyed the place. We actually met the marketing director and GM and they both took a ton of pride in the park. I still owe them a trip report, but we all know by now how backed up I am with those.

This is really sad news though. It was a really nice little place and a ridiculous value (which was probably a red flag, looking back at it).

Fun fact: the CEO of Apex Parks Group was the GM of Hard Rock Park...

Pretty sure that should have been reason alone to not hire him...

In related news, the Fantasy Island amusement park in the UK has had to put out messaging reminding everyone that they aren't closing due to the publicity surrounding this park's closure...

https://www.skegnessstandard.co.uk/business/we-are-not-closing-fantasy-island-ingoldmells-reassures-fans-after-picture-mix-1885932?fbclid=IwAR3LnArwqw_qvKz9uYBAIN5eaMsiu-_WVrY6_ca_FDetxBwyl3YeAlfeP7c

The announcement Fantasy Island in New York was closing was shared on the city's iHeart Radio yesterday, along with a picture of Fantasy Island in Ingoldmells.

There was also a link to the New York Fantasy Island's Facebook announcement, which said: "Regrettably, Fantasy Island is closing and ceasing operations.

"We are grateful for the many years we’ve had together and appreciate your support and patronage."

Today a spokesperson for Fantasy Island in Ingoldmells asked the Standard if we could help clear up the confusion.

Paige Harris, marketing director, said: "We were saddened to hear that our #nametwin themepark ‘Fantasy Island’ in Grand Island, New York has closed, but don’t worry, we will be back as planned on March 21 with exciting new attractions and fun for all the family.

"Don’t miss out on our traditional Fantasy Island opening party on Saturday, March 28, with our amazing fireworks show and the opening of Firebowl. See you there!"

I really enjoyed Fantasy Island when we visited during the 2008 East Coast Trip. They treated us really well during our visit, Silver Comet was running well and we had an amazing Fascination takeover. It is a shame that this park is another casualty of Apex Parks Group's poor management.

Doesnt mean much yet, but Apex is still talking with buyers:

Despite significant effort and a great deal of investment in infrastructure, rides and new themed areas at Fantasy Island Amusement and Water Park in Grand Island, New York, the park’s financial performance has made little improvement. The park’s operator, Apex Parks Group, has been in active discussions with potential buyers for well over a year. Announcement of the park’s closure has sparked interest from new potential buyers and the company is working with Grand Island Supervisor John Whitney, along with other local officials, to help facilitate solutions to permanently closing the park.

Qualified, interested parties can reach out to local officials or email info@apexparksgroup.com.”

• 1 month later...

Sounds like this will most likely be another "woulda, coulda, shoulda" park for me. Granted, I'd hypothetically written them off previously due to all the horrible reviews, but it sounded like the ownership change might have taken care of some of my concerns about how the park operated. It's hard for me to resist the call of a wooden coaster, so that's the main loss for me.

• 3 weeks later...

^Dude I spent 2 days at Niagara Falls in 2019 with my brother and nephews and I wanted to make this an afternoon activity. I was denied cause we just spent 2 days at Canada's Wonderland and my brother was "parked out." He's not as into the hobby as I am. He was the driver so we didn't go and we drove past the park with sad face.

I was planning a trip this June back to Niagara and penciled this in for an afternoon. I was checking their website for their 2020 hours weekly to lock down dates. Annnnnd BOOM. Closed. It's heartbreaking.

Not as heartbreaking as when GL closed as that was my home park and was an essential part of my childhood thru teen years and 5 summers of employment, but man. Heartbreaking.

Please support your local small parks when 2020 resumes. They're gonna need it!

We really had a great time at the park during the TPR East Coast/Behemoth 2008 trip... Silver Comet was running pretty great. I'm bummed that this park couldn't find a way to survive.

I'm hoping that someone picks up their "I Got It" setup so another park could use it.