TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Photo TR: Andy's 2019 European Adventure with TPR

nice to see a report where trains are (for the most part) full and things are running like normal! Such a strange park, with what seems to be a killer top 5 on paper. I'm sure I'll get there eventually, hopefully Energylandia can be a better park.

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Had a good time at the park, but it is weird.

While I wish it had been open for everyone else's sake, I was kind of glad that Zardoz wasn't ready yet, because I'm sure I would've ended up having to ride it once.

It is so, so weird.

And they have enough dragons at that park already, so a Zardoz-themed coaster would be kinda cool, except they'd have to use a knockoff Sean Connery.

If it weren't for seeing other coasters in the background you could have put photos from a bunch of parks together and it would have been as cohesive (especially with multiple of several ride types)

"Cohesive" is a great word ... for what Energylandia isn't.

That's called a diabolo!

Thank you! (and also Garet!)

"incoherent cacophany" is my new favorite catch phrase/band name.

Their autographed photo is probably already hanging up at the front gate.

Thanks for the quote and shout out, Andy--I love the detail in your report.

The three best things about Energylandia to me were:

1. Formula (great ride by Vekoma)

2. the napoleon cake

3. Hyperion (very good in the inside seats, not so good in the outside seats)

Sorry, I was so busy reading the report I completely missed there was another page of replies and the question had been answered.

Great report! From the pictures, it looks like Zadra's area looks a bit better than the others, but I agree in general the theming looks like an incoherent mash-up.

^And Nathan, I watched part of the viking show and you and I are WAY more advanced than any of the aerialists they had!

I did recognize every trick in the photos as stuff I can do ! Also speaking of aerial I do get to go back into the air tomorrow for the first time in months!

Pre-Zadra, Energylandia had one solid reason to return... The Viking show.

I laughed for 5 solid minutes recounting those half-naked, almost-talented non-vikings dancing to music that wasn’t rock. The most bizarre and unintentionally entertaining “performance” I’ve seen in my life.

In all seriousness, Hyperion is currently in my #5 spot. That second hill has to be the best sustained-ejector airtime moment currently in existence, and the dive-drop-loop-thing right after it is totally insane. Hopefully an upcoming train refurb can help with the rattle (which I personally found much less distracting than whatever the heck was going on with Helix at Liseberg).

Also, the drop tower sucks.

Besides that, Zadra looks exactly like what I’d want from an RMC and I have no doubt the new Vekoma launched coaster will be amazing. I’m glad we ended up staying as long as we did and I would totally go back with this awesome group!

Thanks for the quote and shout out, Andy--I love the detail in your report.

Thanks Chuck. I agree, the Napoleon cake ranks pretty high on the best things about Energylandia (the pierogies, too!)

I did recognize every trick in the photos as stuff I can do

But can you do it while not being a viking?

I laughed for 5 solid minutes recounting those half-naked, almost-talented non-vikings dancing to music that wasn’t rock. The most bizarre and unintentionally entertaining “performance” I’ve seen in my life.

It was such a perfect cap on the day. Like, we'd seen so much "WTF" already, and then the Viking Show is cherry on top. It's kind of emblematic of the park as a whole, because it's such an incredible mishmash of theme and a failure to deliver on expectations.

And yet, not a single one of us could deny ... there was plenty to look at.

In all seriousness, Hyperion is currently in my #5 spot. That second hill has to be the best sustained-ejector airtime moment currently in existence, and the dive-drop-loop-thing right after it is totally insane. Hopefully an upcoming train refurb can help with the rattle (which I personally found much less distracting than whatever the heck was going on with Helix at Liseberg).

(ugh, Helix)

But yeah, on Hyperion ... you've got it ranked slightly higher than I do, but I agree with the assessment. Those first few elements are just that good.

Love your writing style in this report, really enjoyable to read and it’s fun to remember the trip. Hyperion was a really good coaster probably my third favourite after Lech and Untamed, but that queue when we did the final ride... I think that might be my own version of hell doing that pointless walk was fine (if not annoying) but coming to that room with no-one directing traffic and looking like a huge blob of people with no discernible direction... yes hell. I do vaguely remember watching the flow of traffic and trying to get us in the quickest arm of the queue, lots of strategising.

I forgot about that dark ride, I really couldn’t believe it. No operator around, just get on a real wtf moment at a park with a few of them. The Viking show was another, erm, confusing experience. And thanks for the photo evidence of me on a kiddie coaster, I tried to be cool and not go on all of them but you got evidence of me on that one. I classed up the experience with the philosophy though, to my credit.

Can’t wait for the next section! You really captured this part well, I’d forgotten so many of the details.

Just looking at Hyperion's queue makes me feel like I'm having an aneurysm. Looking up the ticket cost, it's $35. I would gladly pay that just to ride the new Vekomas, Hyperion, and Zadra as much as I could.

It is very rare that I will walk away from a park thinking "I hate this park" but I hate this park!

Outside of our filming session I think I only rode one, MAYBE two other coasters. At this point in my theme park traveling life, my patience is very thin for parks that have horrible operations and I just couldn't be bothered with some of their ridiculous policies to get on such mediocre rides. And these were even rides we were allowed to film on!

I even tried to give Hyperion another chance. I went back and rode it two more times which took me over an hour even though there was only a handful of riders in front of me on both times. Got stuck in one of those horrible shaky outside seats both rides and was given an instant headache that only worsened with each ride. I really wanted to like this coaster, but it goes on my list of as one of the worst "new" coasters I've ever been on.

I'm willing to give this park another chance at some point. Perhaps it's one of those places you can have a good time when it's not that crowded, however it actually wasn't even that crowded when we were there, but their horrible operations made it feel that way.

So I'm not even sure...

Edited by robbalvey

As soon as they told us to put the goody bags that they had just given us ten minutes before into the paid lockers at Hyperion, I knew how the day was going to go.

As soon as they told us to put the goody bags that they had just given us ten minutes before into the paid fluffy, fluffy bunnies filled with medicine and goo at Hyperion, I knew how the day was going to go.

Yeah, I'm always appreciative of the free stuff parks give us, but if you're going to give us a bag, and you know you have a locker policy on each one of your rides that you know we are going to have to PAY to put the stuff in when we have a limited amount of time to film before the park opens, why not give us the bags AFTER we having done our filming sessions?

Not to mention that each one of the rides we filmed on had an area to place bags on the ride platform! And I get having to use the lockers during the normal operating day, but when we're a small group and we are there with a purpose, how about just letting us use those bins to store our crap for 15 minutes? But I got the feeling they wanted that extra 20 Euros per ride from our group!

And it's not even the extra cost I'm worried about, it was the TIME it took for everyone to have to go to the kiosk, get the locker, put the stuff away, come back to the locker, get the stuff, go to the next ride, etc, etc...

This EXACTLY was an example of how the rest of the day would go. The same kind of nonsensical pointless policies followed us throughout the entire day.

Certainly bizarre park. Really bizarre assortment of coasters. Some day in the distant future, maybe I will visit to see if they've figured it out.

This EXACTLY was an example of how the rest of the day would go. The same kind of nonsensical pointless policies followed us throughout the entire day.

It was just one thing after another, all day long, that didn't make sense.

And I hate to speculate too much ... but if that was true to me as a guest, and true to you in your role as someone working with the park professionally, then what other aspects of their operations are they doing in nonsensical ways?

Love your writing style in this report, really enjoyable to read and it’s fun to remember the trip. Hyperion was a really good coaster probably my third favourite after Lech and Untamed, but that queue when we did the final ride... I think that might be my own version of hell doing that pointless walk was fine (if not annoying) but coming to that room with no-one directing traffic and looking like a huge blob of people with no discernible direction... yes hell. I do vaguely remember watching the flow of traffic and trying to get us in the quickest arm of the queue, lots of strategising.

I forgot about that dark ride, I really couldn’t believe it. No operator around, just get on a real wtf moment at a park with a few of them. The Viking show was another, erm, confusing experience. And thanks for the photo evidence of me on a kiddie coaster, I tried to be cool and not go on all of them but you got evidence of me on that one. I classed up the experience with the philosophy though, to my credit.

Can’t wait for the next section! You really captured this part well, I’d forgotten so many of the details.

Thanks!

Yeah, if you're not a fan of lots of people in small enclosed spaces, that last room of the Hyperion queue is just not good. It's a concrete sardine tin. Your strategizing was great, and I was grateful for whatever advanced-degree calculus you were doing in your head to get us out of there a little quicker.

And hey, we all whored that wacky worm like champs, but you will note no pictures of you on the powered credit, and I thank you for joining me on the sidelines for that one.