TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Increasing motion sickness

I've loved theme parks and rides for more than 30 years.

When my wife and I went to Disneyland for the first time in 1995 I knew nothing about it and just went on every ride without thinking about it. I had an amazing time and was immediately hooked.

As time went on my inner ear began to rebel, and I've developed increasing sensitivity to motion and G-force. Example: Big Thunder Mountain Railroad was my go-to easy ride when I'd overdone it on Space Mountain. Last time we went, I got severe motion sickness from it. I was heartbroken at the apparent deterioration of my middle ear and its impact on my theme park experience.

Any others like me out there, and what do you do to combat this poopy sign of getting old.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've loved theme parks and rides for more than 30 years.

When my wife and I went to Disneyland for the first time in 1995 I knew nothing about it and just went on every ride without thinking about it. I had an amazing time and was immediately hooked.

As time went on my inner ear began to rebel, and I've developed increasing sensitivity to motion and G-force. Example: Big Thunder Mountain Railroad was my go-to easy ride when I'd overdone it on Space Mountain. Last time we went, I got severe motion sickness from it. I was heartbroken at the apparent deterioration of my middle ear and its impact on my theme park experience.

Any others like me out there, and what do you do to combat this poopy sign of getting old.

My mother is a year younger than you and she's been battling motion sickness for years despite loving roller coasters, what she does is that she takes dramamine at least an hour before she goes on any coasters. She was able to handle Fury 325 and Skyrush no problem.

I will now, thanks!

quote="bert425"]have you tried motion sickness tabs - stickies behind the ear.

Many use them on Cruises to help counteract Sea-sickness, and I'll bet they might help you out too.

I have been taking Dramamine an hour and a half before I get to the park for several years and can ride everything as long as I do not go on too many spinning rides in one day. My motion sickness started when I hit adulthood.

I had the same thing happen to me...once I got into my late 30s and early 40's my body began to rebel against my love for coasters. Motion sickness patches pretty much solve the problem for me. That, and avoiding more aggressive coasters earlier in the day (I'm a night owl and I don't do well with anything very active in the morning) ensures I don't have to battle motion sickness. I figured that one out when I realized that all of my episodes of queasiness happened while riding before noon. Finally, I also noticed that certain motions were much harder to tolerate, like going backwards. So, if I decide to ride a coaster (like a boomerang) that has a backwards portion, I just close my eyes during that part of the ride.

I had the same thing happen to me...once I got into my late 30s and early 40's my body began to rebel against my love for coasters. Motion sickness patches pretty much solve the problem for me. That, and avoiding more aggressive coasters earlier in the day (I'm a night owl and I don't do well with anything very active in the morning) ensures I don't have to battle motion sickness. I figured that one out when I realized that all of my episodes of queasiness happened while riding before noon. Finally, I also noticed that certain motions were much harder to tolerate, like going backwards. So, if I decide to ride a coaster (like a boomerang) that has a backwards portion, I just close my eyes during that part of the ride.

Thanks for the insight!

Do you only experience issues while riding roller coasters or do you experience vertigo or nausea at other times, maybe from being in a certain position or from movement? Did you suffer an impact of some kind?

If your experiencing issues outside of just coasters you might want to speak with an Audiologist. Something like BPPV which is estimated to cause 20 percent of dizziness issues is easily treated.