TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Fatal accident at La Feria Chapultepec Magico

Hello everyone! Ok, this is going to be a though post to write, I'm still processing the information that has been released just moments ago.

As Jakizle has already posted, a new operator has been chosen and it is, strangely enough, Mota Engil Mexico, a construction and infrastructure company with no experience in any kind of entertainment whatsoever (but with a lot of infrastructure contracts won under the current Mexican govt).

According to the City's government, they were chosen because of the quality of their project and their financial structure. It has been made public that Six Flags along with three other competitors retired from the process, most likely because of financial constraints derived from the Covid-19 emergency.

Now, as I said, moments ago, some details of the project named Aztlan (after the mythlogical city from where the Aztecs started their journey towards Mexico valley 1000 years ago) have just been released.

The big reveal is that Montaña Rusa, the legendary mobius woodien coaster, an ACE Landmark that opened in 1964 is going to be demolished.

As it seems, the focus of the park will be very far from thrills of any kind, it will only include a few flat rides, the most important of it all being a 50 metres (150ft) tall panoramic wheel, themed to the most important Mexico City neighborhoods (?). And what appears to be a kiddie coastr next to it.

Some other rides announced consist in a laser tag, wrestling ring, and a museum dedicated to classic Mexican movies (yeah, i thought "wtf" too)

Master plan:

spacer.png

As you can see, a big part of the "park" will consist in a big concert field, because that's juuust what the city needs, and a lot of natural areas, because being in the middle of the biggest forest in the city doesn't give you enought trees and resting spaces. (/s).

Rueda de los Barrios (Wheel of the Neighborhoods):

spacer.png

Vuelo en el Tiempo (Flight of Time), a virtual ride to relive the history of the city:

128336345_716857318947671_40481764970241

Thoughts?

Well, that's a change.

Montaña Rusa was rough and uncomfortable, but that layout should have been fun if they'd kept it in good shape. Given the park's new focus, I guess it's not surprising they opted just to scrap it.

My first impression on the wheel is that 50m (164ft) is not particularly tall by modern observation wheel standards, but there's enough of a gradual increase in elevation from the downtown core to the center of Chapultepec Park (where La Feria is located) that it should be a nice view when looking into the city. It's a bit higher than the Castillo de Chapultepec elsewhere in the park, which sits on a hill about 120ft above its surroundings.

I guess Soarin' Over Mexico City is an upgrade over the Jules Verne Orbinaut. :lmao:

Looks like the Schwarzkopf shuttle loop is going, too. Hopefully it finds a new home, as well!

But do I see dueling family shuttle coasters in the top right of the concept art? Not sure if those red and yellow lines are coaster tracks or decorative pieces...

• Like 1

Montaña Rusa was a terrible roller coaster.  It was rough, uninteresting, and for the amount of space it took up, did nothing really exciting at all. I get that it has some "historical value" but I am also of the mindset that not everything that is "historical" equals amazing.  I personally will not miss the ride at all.

That being said, here's a clip from the ride that we never released from our 2015 trip.  Both sides of the coaster....

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, robbalvey said:

That being said, here's a clip from the ride that we never released from our 2015 trip.  Both sides of the coaster....

Honest question regarding your analytics.  How many people actually watch both full runs of that coaster? They're identical and boring.  I'm pretty sure I fell asleep, if I'm being honest.

26 minutes ago, robbalvey said:

Montaña Rusa was a terrible roller coaster.  It was rough, uninteresting, and for the amount of space it took up, did nothing really exciting at all. I get that it has some "historical value" but I am also of the mindset that not everything that is "historical" equals amazing.  I personally will not miss the ride at all.

I agree with you Robb, from the enthusiast point of view, it was not a particularly exciting coaster.

In the other hand it was the only wooden coaster in all of Mexico, and a landmark of the city, just like the Cyclone is to NYC.  That's what makes it being torn down particularly sad.

If it was to be demolished to be replaced with an amazing rollercoaster, I would be so happy, but as it is... 

• Like 1

^Give this new park time and if they see 10 years down the road that they're doing well maybe we'll see a family woodie or something go in!  Also, Soarin over Mexico will never beat the Jules Verne ride with the DVD logo burned into the screen! =)

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, SharkTums said:

^Give this new park time and if they see 10 years down the road that they're doing well maybe we'll see a family woodie or something go in!  Also, Soarin over Mexico will never beat the Jules Verne ride with the DVD logo burned into the screen! =)

🤣

Now that's a real classic.

Here's a view I hadn't seen before:

1494644709_Sinttulo.thumb.png.e893f6cb2de800f42f780cf0e4a053de.png

There seems to be at least two coasters, that's a good thing!

And, they seem to be planning to keep both ends of Montaña Rusa as scenery, that's interesting.

The park will be opened in phases, construction is set to begin in the first quarter of 2021, and the first phase would open by the end of next year, followed by a second and third phases opening in 2022 and 2023 respectively.

1 hour ago, MKvillalba said:

In the other hand it was the only wooden coaster in all of Mexico, and a landmark of the city, just like the Cyclone is to NYC.  That's what makes it being torn down particularly sad.

I get what you are saying using a "roller coaster enthusiast" brain.  But with all the history that Mexico City has from the past 700 years, please tell me that the a wooden roller coaster built only in 1964 does not ever appear in the "top 20 landmarks of Mexico City." That would be such a shame.

^

Let's keep in mind that, contrary to what most foreign people may think, the majority of Mexicans don't really care about our ancient history, so, if you ask a local about the landmarks of the city, they  won't tak about the museums, or the pyramids. They will tell you about the Azteca stadium, the Angel de la Independencia, Chapultepec (including Montaña Rusa), the markets, etc. 

Also from a local point of view, the announcement looks suspicious as hell, because, as I said, the winners of the concession do not have any experience building, let alone operating, any kind of amusement park. They are famous for their cases of corruption and money laundering with the past government, and lots of contracts assigned by the current one.

Just a week ago, a rumor surfaced that they were planning to build a baseball stadium in the site (baseball is less than popular in Mexico, and a new stadium was built just two years ago), the Mayor denied those claims but the "concert field" in the middle of the park tells a different story.

To make thing even more shady, when asked about the decision of tearing down Montaña Rusa, they claimed that it was "no longer operational and only used for scenery" when the park closed, and we all know that is an utter and complete lie.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, MKvillalba said:

spacer.png

2 hours ago, MKvillalba said:

Just a week ago, a rumor surfaced that they were planning to build a baseball stadium in the site (baseball is less than popular in Mexico, and a new stadium was built just two years ago), the Mayor denied those claims but the "concert field" in the middle of the park tells a different story.

MKvillalba, when I look at that one photo, it does look very much in the shape, size and angle of a baseball stadium. The wheel would make a great landmark in centerfield... Interesting to see what unfolds. 

MLB started hosting games in Mexico and took over the minor league baseball organization, so it’s entirely possible this site has already been slated for a future minor or major league team in the next 10 years...