TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Michigan's Adventure (MiA) Discussion Thread

New for 2011-Giant Beach Party interactive water play attraction at Michigan’s Adventure. Beach party will feature the first of its kind giant geyser, which blasts water over 90 feet in the air. Full details and a press release will be available soon at http://www.miadventure.com. We hope to see you this summer!

Just posted over at Facebook.

NEW BEACH PARTY ATTRACTION ERUPTS AT MICHIGAN’S ADVENTURE!

Muskegon, MI --Adventure in the State of Michigan will be taken to a whole new level this summer when Michigan’s Adventure Amusement Park introduces Beach Party, a giant interactive water play attraction, in its WildWater Adventure Waterpark. Beach Party will feature the first of its kind giant geyser, which blasts water over 90 feet in the air. During the eruption guests will see a column of water approximately 20” in diameter gradually rising in the air and towering over the multi-level play area to a height of approximately 95 feet which then rains down over the attraction.

The new multi-level assembly will incorporate over 150 play features, including eight water slides, water jets, water curtains, pipe falls, water wheels, and several net bridges. Guests will be able to drench each other with fire hose jets and interactive water guns. The beach themed area will offer multiple waterfalls throughout. The attraction will be manufactured by WhiteWater West Industries Ltd. of British Columbia, Canada.

“This amazing new ‘splashtastic’ water area which boasts geysers, gadgets and super-drenching slides will entertain guests of all ages. This is a spectacular addition to Michigan’s largest water park,” said Camille Jourden-Mark, V. P. and General Manager of Michigan’s Adventure.

WildWater Adventure already offers an exciting collection of body slides, tube slides, wave pools, kiddie play areas, and family raft slides--including Funnel of Fear, a giant funnel water slide. Michigan's Adventure is well known for its waterpark, and for its family-friendly admission rate, offering, “Two great parks, for one low price.” General admission will remain at $26.00 per person for the 2011 season. Michigan’s Adventure also offers 2-day admission tickets and season passes. Season Pass four packs are on sale through Christmas for only $79.99 per pass and offer guests unlimited visits all season. These great prices will allow guests to ‘Let the good times flow!’ at Michigan’s Adventure all summer long.

attraction.jpg.6008910adfe4486c65e87e2ee0009077.jpg

Edited by ernierocker

I think this is a good addition to most parks, but honestly I don't see the point of having a water park the size of the current one at Michigan's Adventure. The thing about MA is that it's only 7 miles away form one of the largest inland lakes in the world. I never enjoyed the water park too much because instead of paying $13 (two parks for the price of one) to swim in a pool and ride down slides that are at other parks...

...I could go here for free

I don't want to sound like I'm nagging and complaining, because any new addition to this park is taken greatly, but I guess I'm biased since I'm a local that lives halfway between the park and the beach.

^Yeah, you are right. Six Flags Great America couldn't have a successful water park since it is so close to beaches on Lake Michigan. Or just about any major beach destination (like Destin) in the United States would have a reason to build a water park literally across the street from a beach.

Oh wait...

Edited by ernierocker

While I'd have liked to see another flat ride added to the park, a water play structure in the water park will make a great addition. The water park was packed when I went, and it seemed like it was the main draw for the park. Michigan Adventure, while having no competition, has a small population base to draw customers from. Even with all the lake resort towns, Michigan Adventure is kind of out of the way and difficult to visit. So there is no real need to build up the ride side, even though it is needed, if the main reason people go is to visit the water park. When I visited, outside of the water rides, only Wolverine Wildcat and Corkscrew had a line, and this was due to poor operations. While it won't appeal to me or other thrill seekers, it makes perfect sense for the park to focus on the water park, which seems to be the park's main business plan. Plus, even though the ride side lacks flat rides, there is still enough to have fun, and if you get bored, you can just go over and ride Shivering Timbers.

Waterparks are the new hotness! I have seen that exact play structure at several parks this summer and KT loves each one!

Oh, and I'd MUCH rather go to a water park than some disgusting lake beach!!!! Obviously judging from the popularity of waterparks in areas with beaches I'm not alone in these feelings!

Oh, and I'd MUCH rather go to a water park than some disgusting lake beach!!!! Obviously judging from the popularity of waterparks in areas with beaches I'm not alone in these feelings!

Most of the shoreline along Lake Michigan (and the other Great Lakes) isn't disgusting. If you think it's like a normal inland lake with nasty muck, dirt instead of sand, and pee warm water, you have wrong impression. It's like an ocean, except without the jellyfish, sharks, stingrays, and saltwater.

That being said, I can't deny the fact that the water park is popular with the crowds. What I can say though is that on the same days that the water park is full (which usually ends up being some of the hottest days of the summer) the beaches are also packed. On any day in the summer in Michigan where it's over 65 degrees, the beaches become a second home to the locals within 20 miles of the shoreline.

Back on topic though. Maybe the water park's so popular because there isn't really any attraction to the selection of rides installed in the amusement park itself?

The same thing happens at Dorney too and they have a better coaster collection. Both B&M's and Steel Force can be a walk on or 5 minute wait while the water park is packed. I think it's because only thrill seekers will go on the coasters and almost everyone can handle the waterpark and most water slides and the lower capacity of the slides makes it more crowded since it takes longer to go on everything in the waterparks.

Most of the shoreline along Lake Michigan (and the other Great Lakes) isn't disgusting. If you think it's like a normal inland lake with nasty muck, dirt instead of sand, and pee warm water, you have wrong impression. It's like an ocean, except without the jellyfish, sharks, stingrays, and saltwater.

Yeah, that's disgusting. I'm not a "fresh water person" either - whether it's a lake, the ocean, whatever. Personally, I also agree, this is a great addition for the park.

And Elissa is absolutely right! Southern California has some of the most popular beaches in the world, yet this area manages to sustain SIX water parks within a 150 mile span!

Maybe the water park's so popular because there isn't really any attraction to the selection of rides installed in the amusement park itself?

Sure! That would also explain why Holiday World's water park gets insanely packed, same with Dorney Park, and Six Flags Great America, etc, and all those other parks that have a free water park and a crappy selection of amusement rides... Here's a thought that might shock you...PEOPLE ACTUALLY LIKE GOING TO THE WATER PARK!

Oh, and I like you how shoot down Elissa's opinions and try to educate her on the Great Lakes as though she's never been there.

--Robb "Have a *little* more respect for the site's admins, thank you!" Alvey

Edited by robbalvey

Yeah, that's disgusting. I'm not a "fresh water person" either - whether it's a lake, the ocean, whatever. Personally, I also agree, this is a great addition for the park.

And Elissa is absolutely right! Southern California has some of the most popular beaches in the world, yet this area manages to sustain SIX water parks within a 150 mile span!

Oh, and I like you how shoot down Elissa's opinions and try to educate her on the Great Lakes as though she's never been there.

I'm sorry if I offended you, Elissa, or anybody else. That was not my intention. I wasn't trying to "educate" her either. There are other people that read these posts, and not everybody knows what I stated. I'm just trying to have a conversation about the amusement industry by bringing up some things I have observed. If my posts offended you or anybody, once again I'm sorry, and I hope we can leave it at this because I don't want to waste people's time with accusations.

This is a great addition to the park. I wonder where they are going to put it? I did not notice much room left in the waterpark area. There is not much for the kiddies to do in the waterpark, so this is a perfect new attraction.

It's great for the park, but the amusement park geek in me is bummed. I was looking for something new for the rides side of the park. I am just not a waterpark person. But it will make the lines in the ride side even shorter when I visit next summer.

Most of the shoreline along Lake Michigan (and the other Great Lakes) isn't disgusting.

I see you haven't been to Lake Erie this year. How can you say the beaches are not disgusting when they were closed for half the summer for bacteria problems? If that's not disgusting, I'm not sure what is.

Waterpark >>>>>>> Great Lake beach

I'm sorry if I offended you, Elissa, or anybody else. That was not my intention. I wasn't trying to "educate" her either. There are other people that read these posts, and not everybody knows what I stated. I'm just trying to have a conversation about the amusement industry by bringing up some things I have observed. If my posts offended you or anybody, once again I'm sorry, and I hope we can leave it at this because I don't want to waste people's time with accusations.

It's cool. It did come of as though you figured that Elissa has never been to Lake Michigan and was making comments where she didn't know what she was talking about. Keep in mind that neither of us will post an opinion of something we have never personally experienced!

--Robb

Dude, when you going to make another MA video on Youtube?

I agree a relationship exists with the ride selection in the amusement park and the increase in demand for guests visiting the waterpark. Variety has shown to be important to guest's overall experience as most initial ride experiences decrease with each subsequent ride. If guests can't fill that need in the amusement park, it would make sense that they would be motitvated to visit the waterpark--even if that was not their intial choice, because of the variety.

I know you said in one of your videos while visiting the amusement park side of MA, that it's the "same stuff every year." When similiar guests--especially season pass holders--share that same outlook, the decision to try the waterpark looks better--even if they're really more of a rides enthusiast.

Edited by RideOpMarcus

As resident Michigan's Adventure fanboy, I can honestly say this was an addition that was much needed and will be very well received.

halfpint.jpg.2e57dec9e212ebb560540dc08e3d36d8.jpg

The original kids area, Half Pint Paradise

The original kids water area, Half Pint Paradise, opened in 1990 and only has two small slides and a wading area.

jollyroger.jpg.2a68ff6df5787c3826b33d36653b1399.jpg

1997's Jolly Roger Pirate Ship

treehosueharbor.jpg.518d1bb379bea29d67f2cae665311219.jpg

The other 1997 addition, Treehouse Harbor

In 1997, with Phase Two of the waterpark, they added the Jolly Roger Pirate Ship and Treehouse Harbor, which both are very small and are very limited in their offerings. For a park whose primary audience is families, they've needed something with more for kids to do in the waterpark for a long time. Beach Party will definitely be a huge hit at Michigan's Adventure.

While I would have loved for the amusement park to get something new, the waterpark is the big draw at Michigan's Adventure. Any summer day you'll find when the waterpark opens that you can wait over an hour for one waterslide, but Shivering Timbers will be a walk-on. It's very clear what the public wants, and that's what they're going to get.

A beach, be it inland lake front or coastal ocean is a completely different thing than a water park. I dont really think you can even consider them together.

My point is that a lake will just simply get you wet , but a water park has slides, lazy rivers, play structures and other things that create an individual experience.

I live at Jax Beach, beautiful white sand beach, give me a water park any day of the week.

A beach, be it inland lake front or coastal ocean is a completely different thing than a water park. I dont really think you can even consider them together.

My point is that a lake will just simply get you wet , but a water park has slides, lazy rivers, play structures and other things that create an individual experience.

I live at Jax Beach, beautiful white sand beach, give me a water park any day of the week.

I'm getting the notion that that's the mentality of most people (not that it's a bad thing). I was also (partially) joking around when I said that they shouldn't build this because there's a lake close by. I saw a guy comment on the facebook announcement saying something along the line of "Want to get wet? I can spray you with my garden hose if you want to get wet"

Finally! It's about darn tootin' time that Michigan Adventures got a its own Splash House attraction. Although I maybe too old or too big to ride any of the slides, I'm neither too old or too big to stand underneath the bucket when it tips over.

"Say Good-bye to Dry!!!

"And while you're at it, could you say 'good-bye' to this site and say 'hello' to me?"

It's cool. It did come of as though you figured that Elissa has never been to Lake Michigan and was making comments where she didn't know what she was talking about. Keep in mind that neither of us will post an opinion of something we have never personally experienced!

--Robb

It's still quite rude to make a comment about how "disgusting" a place is, especially to someone who lives there, directly after he had indicated how much he likes the place. He wasn't being disrespectful, Elissa was.

Anyway, fantastic addition. The waterpark is always popular at Michigan's Adventure, so it makes sense to keep adding to it.

^^Me saying that the lakeshore is gross is not being disrespectful, it's me stating my opinion which many people agree with.

It's disgusting to me and others.

Back on track now please! We're talking about a nice waterpark expansion...not a lake!

Edited by SharkTums