TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Michigan's Adventure (MiA) Discussion Thread

Some daylight as to the stagnant growth.

Michigan bill would allow 16 year olds to operate amusement park rides

If the bill passes, Michigan would join 37 other states that allow 16 year olds to operate amusement park rides.

LANSING, Mich. — State Rep. Greg VanWoerkom, R-Norton Shores, is pushing forward a proposal in the Michigan legislature that would allow 16 year olds to operate amusement park rides. Currently in the state of Michigan, the law requires ride operators to be 18.

The bill would lower the age, allowing 16 year olds to operate any amusement park ride in Michigan.

VanWoerkom testified in the Michigan House Tuesday, saying that because the unemployment rate is so low, a main job provider in his district—Michigan's Adventure—is struggling to hire enough employees of age.

“This is about giving our youth opportunities for employment and for their growth,” VanWoerkom said. “Carnivals and amusement parks are great seasonal employment opportunities for kids to gain work experience and start saving. We should be looking at qualifications beyond just age and ensure rides are operated in a safe manner.”

RELATED: Michigan's Adventure closing vintage car ride

The plan would require every ride operator to receive the necessary safety training before being able to operate ride.

Camille Jourden-Mark, the vice president and general manager at Michigan's Adventure, also spoke in the Michigan House. She said the amusement park currently employees 1,300 seasonal workers from the West Michigan area.

“This legislation will provide additional flexibility for staffing, while also continuing our priority of ride safety and in-depth training," said Jourden-Mark.

RELATED: 'Camp Snoopy' at Michigan's Adventure adds new rides, playground

If the bill passes, Michigan would join 37 other states that allow 16 year olds to operate amusement park rides. House Bill 5134 is still being considered by the House Regulatory Reform Committee.

https://www.wzzm13.com/article/news/local/michigan/michigan-bill-amusement-park-ride-operators/69-c3663e08-0fef-4ee4-88d6-58bdf01edd89

As someone who worked at a park operating rides at 16 I see no issue with this and support it. If we trust a 16 year old to operate a motor vehicle then we can trust them to operate a much safer amusement ride.

Edited by WolfBobs

As someone who worked at a park operating rides at 16 I see no issue with this and support it. If we trust a 16 year old to operate a motor vehicle then we can trust them to operate a much safer amusement ride.

My state doesn't trust 16-yr-olds to operate motor vehicles, unless they live on a farm and get a special permit that allows them to drive within the boundaries of the farm.

No 16 year old, should be allowed to operate a ride, especially now. They are to busy on their phones and wanting to talk to their friends. That's what happened at SFKK, on Hellevator, the attendant was to busy talking and didn't notice the cable break to stop the ride.

No 16 year old, should be allowed to operate a ride, especially now. They are to busy on their phones and wanting to talk to their friends. That's what happened at SFKK, on Hellevator, the attendant was to busy talking and didn't notice the cable break to stop the ride.

I really appreciate the way you used an event from 2007 to stereotype 16 year olds in 2020. Way to skip over the fact that the SFKK ride op is 28 now! Well done!

I've never seen rider operators at Cedar Fair parks on cell phones while operating rides. I have seen this though at Six Flag parks. We had to yell at a rider operator who was talking on a cell phone at Magic Mountain to stop the kiddie ride our kids were on. It had been going for over 5 minutes and the kids on the ride were all yelling to stop it. Haven't been back to Magic Mountain since that day.

Jim

Six Flags employees now use cell phones as work devices. That’s probably a dangerous thing considering it makes it easier for them to use their own. Regardless, this is more an issue of training and supervision. Cedar Fair parks are overkill with supervisors and basically stopping a ride operation because a random person in the exit area has a question, but at least there is someone in charge and accountable. They measure their hourly capacity. There is a lot more accountability for Cedar Fair operators and that’s why they have better operators, regardless of age.

Age has nothing to do with it. You just need dedicated employees and someone holding them accountable.

My state doesn't trust 16-yr-olds to operate motor vehicles, unless they live on a farm and get a special permit that allows them to drive within the boundaries of the farm.

NJ doesn't count. That state has a lot of weird rules. Ya'll can't pump gas and you have this weird thing against left turns. lol

Source: My mom is from NJ and I have forgiven her.

The age thing would be a huge change. Working at the park I can't see a 16 year old operating controls on thunderhawk.

Having been a ride op at GL for 5 years I can tell you hundreds of 16 yr olds have operated Thunderhawk before it moved up north. It was fine.

At 16 we had operators on Big Dipper and Wolf Bobs using completely manual operations, levers and such to operate the brakes. Those two rides didn't fully automate until around 2003/2004.

If a person is trained properly and the management holds them accountable age shouldn't matter. If they are legally allowed to drive unsupervised there is no reason they can't operate a much safer, almost 100% idiot proof amusement attraction.

• 2 months later...

Just got this email. Does this mean my season pass is also good in 2021? As of right now the opening isn't even delayed

Dear 2020 Season Passholder:

I hope this note finds you and your family healthy and safe. As we all navigate these unprecedented circumstances, I want to thank you for your support of Michigan's Adventure. We continue to monitor and follow local and national health directives while preparing to open our park as soon as it is safe to do so. We look forward to welcoming you back!

In the meantime, I want to share information on how we will manage 2020 Season Passholder benefits:

2020 Season Passes and purchased 2020 Season Pass Add-On Products (if applicable) will be valid for the remainder of 2020 when our park is able to open.

Additionally, we will extend the validity dates for current 2020 Season Passes (as well as purchased 2020 Season Pass Add-On Products) through the 2021 Season according to pass type.

Our Season Passholders represent some of our most loyal guests, and we want to ensure that you receive a full season of fun as promised when you purchased your 2020 Season Pass. Again, we thank you for your understanding and loyalty to Michigan's Adventure.

Sincerely,

Camille Jourden-Mark

Vice President & General Manager

Michigan's Adventure

^^It's chain-wide. And yes, it is valid for both 2020 and 2021 along with all add-ons. Personally, I wasn't planning on getting any kind of Cedar Fair pass this year, but now I am seriously considering purchasing a Platinum Pass now especially since I plan on visiting multiple CF parks next year. Now I just wonder when the cutoff purchase date is.

• 1 month later...

Saw on Facebook from an hour ago that they're advertising for summer workers. Glad to hear they're still planning on opening at some point this summer. I think they might have a slightly easier time finding workers as most of the area summer camps aren't opening up this summer.

So in addition to removing Be Bop Bvld for Camp Snoopy they also moved drummer boy and winky the whale. Map on the app shows Drummer Boy moved in front of the Giant Gondola Wheel. Winky the Whale looks to have taken the place of mini enterprise by Zach's Zoomer and Mini Enterprise is no more .

Drove by the park this morning. Still no gondolas on the wheel, no coaster trains in the stations. I would assume they would need a months notice at this point. I am getting more and more confident they will not open this summer unless the government gives them permission real quick

In the past, MiA staff has come down to CP and KI to help during early season start-up, before the season starts up in Michigan.

It could become entirely possible CF will decide to have MiA not open this summer if it gets too late and move those available employees south for the winter. It could help getting Point open faster if their Maintenance team comes down to help, full timers running rides, etc.