TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Michigan's Adventure (MiA) Discussion Thread

Seems like the park is having a lot of trouble with their coasters today.

Corkscrew was down for the first 2 hours. Mad Mouse and Zach's Zoomer have been down all day with employees walking the track. Now Shivering Timbers is having some issues.

Thankfully I got on Timbers twice earlier since I need to leave soon. I love the layout.

By the time I left, Mad Mouse was testing and Zach's Zoomer reopened.

Overall I thought the park was decent. Shivering Timbers was an outstanding ride. Wolverine Wildcat was pretty good and had more air than expected. They really need a good steel coaster though.

Their steel coasters are so poor that Zach's Zoomer is my third favorite coaster in the park. Thunderhawk was smoother than most SLCs but still bad (it was a 3/10 type of ride instead of a 1/10). Then those Corkscrew trains were way smaller than Canobie's and I could barely fit. There looked like there was a nice patch of land next to Adventure Falls that could fit a certaon hand-me-down coaster from Knott's.

^You're pretty much dead-on in your assessment! Zach's Zoomer is easily the third best coaster in the park in my opinion, and could be as good as #2, depending on one's assessment of Wolverine Wildcat (I think it's only ok). The steel coasters are all various shades of terrible, and yes, being the best SLC, is VERY faint praise indeed! But Shivering Timbers IS truly an outstanding coaster, as you said, so it still makes MiA a park worth going to every so often! And if you're into water parks, the water park is very nice as well. Sadly, I think we've all given up on ever getting a steel coaster of any real significance or worth, so that'll probably continue to be a gaping hole in the park's repertoire...

This park is Cedar Fair's equivalent of Great Escape. There's an amazing wooden coaster, a decent second coaster, but then garbage follows for coasters but they each have nice water parks.

I had to skip Michigan Adventure's water park due to time but it looked very good.

Maybe one year MA will stop being the stepchild.

Yeah, and maybe one year Cedar Fair will sell MiA, allegedly their highest profit margin park, to independent owners who would actually give a care about re-investment of profits like the Koch's or Ed Hart!

It's a bit of a jaunt for us, but I would go back just for Shivering Timbers in the front seat and Founders Brewery in Grand Rapids!

Seriously, both are definitely worth trips, just on their own merit!

Went to the park today and it was pretty nice, no lines, no temperature in the water (the water park was freezing) and mildly disappointing underemployment. My favorite coaster thunder hawk sadly called a 37 and stayed down all day (37 is broken with riders on board for y'all that don't know.) I only heard of the log ride having issues too though. The funnel of fear seems like it may be closed until the splash pad opens. A bunch of slides were closed too. Timbers feels weird without the trick tracks and honestly is super smooth until the last like 4 or 5 hills where the trains shuffle, if GCI retracks that this coaster might be my number one overall again. I got about 6 rides before the shuffling became too much for me. There is a lot of work going on behind the scenes too. You can see it from the top of timbers and on the train a little. I can't explain it too much but if anyone goes look by the two drainage lakes and there were a bunch of rocks. Also the new train is M.I.A. (Haha see what I did there?). But in all seriousness I love this park because it's so much more laid back than Cedar Point and IMO easier to have a good day. (You can have a better day at Cedar Point if you do it right though). Anyway I missed the park a lot in the offseason but it really needs some love, let's pray for this park's future because it needs something big!

Edit: I nearly forgot this picture too (with a Snapchat filter as proof that it really is at Michigan's Adventure.)IMG_8498.thumb.JPG.31c7aa3407a4d2138619897477390c34.JPG

They are too lazy to put Michigan's Adventure on the all season cups!

It's a bit of a jaunt for us, but I would go back just for Shivering Timbers in the front seat and Founders Brewery in Grand Rapids!

Seriously, both are definitely worth trips, just on their own merit!

I've been wanting to go to Grand Rapids, MI for the beer scene alone, but I have been holding out for 1 more great addition to MiA. I know the year I finally cave in and go, the park will get that premier triple A rated coaster the following year

I was at the park on Saturday. Here are a few photos of things I found noteworthy:

We all knew metal detectors would be added this year. Here was the scene at 11am when the park opened:

The areas that used to house souvenir photos and Guest Relations are now brick walls:

Here's the new guest relations (near where the front of park lockers used to be):

I didn't snap a photo of the new souvenir photos location, but it's just to the right around the corner from Guest Relations in the above photo, across from the funnel cake location.

The front lockers have been relocated to the left when you enter the park:

A few of the dining locations have added queuing areas (as other CF parks have done):

In the last photo, on the right side you can see the ordering kiosks

And last, but not least, here is the new Funnel of Fear entrance (to the left of the tube rental):

^ It does and it also has some logistical issues that might make it the most annoying ride for the employee's because the entrance is in a part of the park that is accessible before the water park opens.

Well I guess it's sort of an area that is accessible before the water park opens but that just depends on where they put the yellow barricades. They had a lifeguard standing at the entrance Saturday when I was there before it opened but I never went back to see if the ride was even operating.

Oh, my point was that there isn't much need to increase the amount of airtime. A different sensation could be nice, particularly if it's something that's not on any/many other coasters.

(But that sensation is something other than airtime, so I think I like the decision to put in a small air hill.)